• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To restore or not to restore?

12 posts in this topic

I'm not one that normally even considers restoration however several in passing have suggested it might be worth doing. I have never done it so I have no idea as to the cost or what the final grade could be. So here is the book in question:

20160724_125012_zpsdhqrn4cm.jpg

20160724_124937_zpsbb5sdlvq.jpg

So my questions are:

What grade can this be pumped up to for a full restore?

What is an approximate cost as I have 0 knowledge of this?

not my area of expertise but I can see several areas that need leaf casting, once leaf cast you would need to decide if going conserved OR full restored.

Full restored will be more time consuming as it includes recreation of image, text/ color addition.

Expect more than $1000

You can see how tape has destroyed (and is continuing to destroy) the paper. The chemical reaction needs to be stopped. I also suggest you send it off for neutralization and leafcasting, but no art recreation. Just preserve the book. All of the important art is still there.

Mike gave me a preliminary quote of around $2000 to restore an ASM 1 with much less deterioration and less leaf casting necessary. Of course, the quote included recreating some cover art as well, so maybe just the conservation would be less. But that seems like a lot of pulp needed on this baby!