• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

There's still gold in them hills...

8 posts in this topic

So here's one I didn't see coming...

One of the pride and joys of my collection (i.e. on the "cold dead hands" list) is my first issue of Black Magic. I love the fact that it's 1) Simon & Kirby, 2) occult themed, 3) the 1st issue of one of my favorite pre-code titles, and 4) in high grade.

Now on to that high-grade part...

My copy is a slabbed VF/NM. It is stunning. It's one of two copies in that grade on the census, and I've seen scans of 'em both. The other 9.0 doesn't compare IMO...structurally it seems a little less healthy, the page quality doesn't seem as nice, and it's got a rather unattractive date stamp. My copy, of course, is free of these unpardonable blemishes. wink.gif

Now let me say that I am typically not one who "must" have the finest copy of a key book. I admit that high grade is generally my thing, but I don't consider myself a chest-thumper (maybe I'm in denial). But this one came into my hands, and I'm glad that it did.

The fact that I own this book made me something of a "name" at my LCS. I brought it in once to the show the owner, who's a huge S & K fan. Here's a typical comment that I overhear as I browse through the longboxes:

Nerd #1:"Hey, isn't that the guy that owns the best copy of Black Magic #1?"

Nerd #2: "Yep, that's the guy. That's one amazing book he's got!"

Nerd #3: "What do you want for lunch, Wendy's or Little Caesar's?"

It's kinda like that Simpsons episode where Homer throws back the big fish to prove his love to Marge:

Homer: "But Marge, I can't throw the fish back, this fish makes me a hero!"

Marge: "To who?"

Homer: "To who!?! To those weirdos in the worm store!"

But I digress.

This morning I clicked through the web pages for Heritage's upcoming auction, and what do I find. You guessed it. Another Black Magic #1. And in higher grade! A slabbed 9.4. And I have to admit, judging from the scans it does look a little nicer than mine. I immediately turn to the CGC home page, check the census, and low and behold there it is. One 9.4. Two 9.0s.

http://www.heritagecomics.com/common/auc...&hdnSearch=true

So what am I getting at? Am I miffed about the newly discovered copy. Nah, not really, mine's still a keeper and I'm not insane enough to try and upgrade. But it's an interesting find, nonetheless. With such a tough black cover, I was sure that a nicer copy of this book would never surface. I've heard many folks on these boards talk about long time golden-agers with incredible unslabbed collections. Maybe there's more truth to those tales that I initally believed.

So am I still pleased as punch to own the 2nd highest graded copy of Black Magic #1? Yep, you bet, wouldn't trade it for nothing. But something tells me the next time I hit the LCS, the pizzas are on me.

--shrunken

BlackMagic1.jpg

Head:

When Gaines first started selling his EC's I was hoping to snag the finest set of Piracy 1-7. I'm a big pirate collector and at the time had many "highest graded" copies of books with pirates on the cover (no, they weren't graded by CGC at that time, it's just that I would continually upgrade whenever the opportunity arose - all the big dealers were on the look out for me).

Anyway, when Cochran started selling the Gaines copies, the "best graded set" was held back. So the best available was the "2 of 12" set.

I got it. HOO-RAY!

Fast forward about 5 years and Cochran puts the 1/12 sets on the market.

I had to have it. I don't know why, but I just had to have it. So at one point I actually owned both sets until I traded off the 2/12 set.

I know how you feel. I was perfectly content with my 2/12, and when the 1/12 set first was announced, I said, "cool, but I'm satisfied with what I have."

But when the auction day arrived I broke down.

You have that option, you know. Sell you 9.0 to help finance the 9.4...

I've since sold off most of my great pirate stuff, but I kept most of the low grade stuff because it's just cool.

Whatever you decide, everyone here could understand.

--Gary

Thanks for sharing a similar story. thumbsup2.gif Wow, a complete 1/12 set of an EC title. That's just too cool.

You make a very good point about selling the undercopy. Even on a bad day on ebay, I figure I could get a grand for it, or very close to that at least (I believe it guides for around $1250). Well, truth be told, I'll be following the Heritage auction closely. Though I doubt very much that I'll make a serious bid, as my wife and I are moving into a new condo next month and I'm not sure I want her looking at me all askance as I bid on a pricey comic. But ya never know...

I'm also curious as to whether or not this 9.4 copy will increase or decrease the value of my 9.0. I'm not looking to sell this book, but if I was, I could no longer ask a premium for being the highest graded copy. However, I suppose if the 9.4 sells for an amazing amount of money, that might increase the FMV of my book, even though it's now only the paltry 2nd fiddle copy. wink.gif Should be an interesting auction to track in any case. My guess is the 9.4 will sell for $2000 or more, provided that the book makes reserve.

Thanks again for your input!

I've since sold off most of my great pirate stuff, but I kept most of the low grade stuff because it's just cool.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif The GA Forum is cranking with themed topics. Naturally a wonderful way to group books. Why don't you start a Pirate topic??? I would but have nothing to contribute. But would love to see!

always LOVED the Piracy cover (#4 or #5??) with the "Sun" cover...always have wanted to find a NICE High-grade copy of that (9 or better). Always thought that was one of the best EC covers ever.

The superb coloring and printing are much of what makes that book so beautiful. The good news is there were 11 or 12 file copies so you have a good chance to get one.

So am I still pleased as punch to own the 2nd highest graded copy of Black Magic #1? Yep, you bet, wouldn't trade it for nothing. But something tells me the next time I hit the LCS, the pizzas are on me.

Loser! stooges.gif