• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman 146 (Superman's Life Story)

15 posts in this topic

My Superman 146 came back as a 9.2. According to the Census this is highest grade for this book. There is a total of three 9.2's (mine hasn't been recorded yet). Also, this is the Superman's LIfe Story and Overstreet lists the cover as a classic. The book currently tops out at $280. Does anyone want to venture a guess as to how much this book would bring? Is it a high-demand copy? It does contain the classic Silver-Age origin story and I believe it's the first detailed origin of the character since Superman 53. How rare is this book in a 9.2? Anyway, any self-professed experts out there? Chime in!

If 9.2 is the highest graded copy then you should do well.

Does it have white pages or OW/W?

Good QP?

If so you should get at least 2X guide.

$500+

Maybe more. confused-smiley-013.gif

If 9.2 is the highest graded copy then you should do well.

Does it have white pages or OW/W?

Good QP?

If so you should get at least 2X guide.

$500+

Maybe more. confused-smiley-013.gif

at 9.2 and being the highest with a "classic" cover and an origin story, i think ACES has got it pretty close. gotta go for at least $500, IMO..................that book would have been about to hit the stands 44 years ago!!!!!!!!

Consign it through Heritage or a known e-bay dealer and I think you'll do very well. Traditionally DC collectors have shied away from paying the crazy multiples, but this has started to change and it is a classic book. I think the resistance exists in paying $4K for a $1K book, rather than $1K for a $250 book.

Highest recorded sales GP:

8.0 grade:

$300.00 - Oct 2002

$214.49 - Mar 2003

8.0s are going for up to double book!

A 9.2 should get 4X easy.

I change my estimite to $1000+.

thumbsup2.gif

Consign it through Heritage

I agree. I know you`d get 2X guide for sure, whether it would get up to 3-4X of guide is hard to say because there is already one other copy in 9.2. I don`t know the Superman market as well as I know other DC titles.

Consign it through Heritage

I agree. I know you`d get 2X guide for sure, whether it would get up to 3-4X of guide is hard to say because there is already one other copy in 9.2. I don`t know the Superman market as well as I know other DC titles.

There's actually 2 other 9.2s. SLR5's isn't on the census yet.

I dunno what it would sell for, but I was never impressed with that issue. I remember it being a bit boring: not as exciting as other Superman stories. Back then, the imaginary tales were the best because stuff actually happenned. 146 literally just retold the origin story in plodding detail.

Steve, I was with you when you bought the Superman #146 from Robert Roter of PCE at the San Diego Comic Con in 1995. In my notes I noted that this copy was Near Mint Plus and that you paid $275 total for it including the buyers commission I was really surprised that CGC only graded this book at 9.2. I sure would like to know what the graders notes say. I think it will bring alot more than double guide considering the classic cover and the fact that DC silver age from this time period is very scarce in high grade. I also believe its way undervalued in the Overstreet Price Guide. Hope you will be able to post a scan of this beauty! Erik

Erik, I know my concept of NM+ has changed since '95. Heck, I think everyone's has. Is it possible yours has too?

And what happened to Steve? He hasn't returned since his initial post.

I'm still interested in the book!

I didn't get the impression that Steve was looking to sell the book, I got the impression that he wanted to know what we all thought that book would fetch if he did sell it. Maybe I am wrong?