• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Supermans first flight ?

55 posts in this topic

well, he's definitely flying on the cover of Action #29 right? I mean, he swoops in from one direction, grabs Lois and then turns in mid-air and flys off into another direction, that's not jumping or leaping.

Exactly what I thought looking at the covers.

Opinions on the art, poses & movements are all up to interpretation. Even the artists themselves can have a varied drawing style, where one artist makes Superman look like he is flying, then the next issue he looks like he is leaping like the Hulk. Superman #30 is the 1st time Superman ever says he can fly.

Opinions on the meaning of what Superman says are all up to interpretation. Even the writers can place hidden meaning in a quote or a knowing wink of the eye. Superman had that knowing look in many issues prior to #30. Was it the knowledge of flight that he was being so coy about?

lol

"Earthwards plummets"

Sounds like falling rather than flying?

You're the grader mate - what do CGC think officially?

Some people make the case that SUPERMAN #10 is the first time that Superman is flying rather than leaping.

fly-1a.jpg

fly-1b.jpg

fly-1c.jpg

fly-1d.jpg

In some of those panels he certainly seems to be hovering in a way that's more consistent with an ability to fly than with only an ability to leap.

The #123 still hasn't been done by CGC so I cannot comment, but that panel certainly has the word 'fly' in it - quite definitive I'd say.

More panels from Superman #30 clearly showing him fly.

superman30a_zpsoaze1msy.jpg

Superman30B_zpsi1wzlgpx.jpg

So, you don't think he's flying in Superman 10?

No, the use of the word "plummet" several times in the story indicates an uncontrolled fall, not controlled flight!

"Earthwards plummets"

Sounds like falling rather than flying?

It's not the plummeting part of the panels from Supe 10.

The important part is where he is up in the air next to the invisible voice and it tells him to follow him. So, from "hovering" in the air (or even if that was part of a "leap"), he abruptly changes direction and follows the voice for a considerable distance. THAT is flying, no?

I would agree with you, phrased like that.

At this point, I, like most other people in this thread have no idea which comic conclusively, unequivocally confirms Superman as flying.

That's why I hoped the grader would respond.

Interesting thread.

Well, speaking only for myself (not CGC), I think that between

1. Narration in panels

2. Character dialogue

3. Artist's depictions

there is so much leeway and wiggle-room between all three that it's virtually impossible to pinpoint a first time Superman is definitively flying.

Well, speaking only for myself (not CGC), I think that between

1. Narration in panels

2. Character dialogue

3. Artist's depictions

there is so much leeway and wiggle-room between all three that it's virtually impossible to pinpoint a first time Superman is definitively flying.

That seems to be the consensus in this thread in a nutshell!