• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flimsy eBay packaging: Why do it...?

48 posts in this topic

so the book arrived without damage but you are upset that the packaging was not up to your standards- which you apparently never told the seller about?

Usually people gripe when things go wrong. Nothing went wrong. Amateur paking job-- agreed-- but it was effective.

The buyer got lucky.

Don't know how to pack comics?

Easy solution: Don't sell them

perhaps you missed my point.

Communicating with sellers who are unfamiliar with packing methods prior to them sending you the item can help both parties out. Just because someone is ignorant to these methods or the importance on condition on value, doesn't mean we don't want to be able to find these books and buy them.

In the end, it is about a book you want. So getting it delivered unharmed should be important enough to you to contact the seller.

I didn't miss it. I was merely expressing my annoyance with sellers who can't pack the stuff they sell properly. (shrug)

There are no absolutes. I would imagine the following estimates are about right for the poor packing cheap comic guy.

If crappy comic shipper mails 1000 x $3 comics with $5 shipping

750 arrive damage free

100 of the damaged book buyers don't really care what their comic looks like,

100 care but it is not worth the hassle to do anything

25 complain and settle for a $3 refund

25 care enough to complain for a full $8 refund.

So he has about $275 in refunds

He can slap together 25 of his crappy shipments compared to 10 appropriately packed comics in an hour

With his way 1000 books/25 per hour = in 40 hours he makes $3000-$275=$2725 or $68 per hour

Or when "packed properly" 1000 books/10 per hour = in 100 hours he makes $3000 or $30 per hour

And you think he is doing it wrong?

Before you answer, think about all the amazon shipments you have ever gotten of anything thrown in a box bouncing around with a single air pillow. I am sure they are doing it wrong too...

I'm not sure what point you're trying to illustrate. ???

That's because you don't understand how a business works. The cost to ship a $3 comic "the right way" costs way too much and too time consuming. Sellers aren't in it to lose money. It's best to throw those cheap Comics between some cardboard and a mailer and hope everything is ok. The mailers I use cost me 0.60 cents each, why should I counter use them when a jiffy ridge mailer costs me 0.40 cents each, label costs 0.06 each. And of course the buyer won't buy it unless it's shipped free, so there is another $2.60....it adds up quick.

In your scenario the sellers knows/expects 25% of his packages to arrive damaged? But that's acceptable because he makes more profit. Correct? I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand.

so the book arrived without damage but you are upset that the packaging was not up to your standards- which you apparently never told the seller about?

Usually people gripe when things go wrong. Nothing went wrong. Amateur paking job-- agreed-- but it was effective.

The buyer got lucky.

Don't know how to pack comics?

Easy solution: Don't sell them

perhaps you missed my point.

Communicating with sellers who are unfamiliar with packing methods prior to them sending you the item can help both parties out. Just because someone is ignorant to these methods or the importance on condition on value, doesn't mean we don't want to be able to find these books and buy them.

In the end, it is about a book you want. So getting it delivered unharmed should be important enough to you to contact the seller.

I didn't miss it. I was merely expressing my annoyance with sellers who can't pack the stuff they sell properly. (shrug)

There are no absolutes. I would imagine the following estimates are about right for the poor packing cheap comic guy.

If crappy comic shipper mails 1000 x $3 comics with $5 shipping

750 arrive damage free

100 of the damaged book buyers don't really care what their comic looks like,

100 care but it is not worth the hassle to do anything

25 complain and settle for a $3 refund

25 care enough to complain for a full $8 refund.

So he has about $275 in refunds

He can slap together 25 of his crappy shipments compared to 10 appropriately packed comics in an hour

With his way 1000 books/25 per hour = in 40 hours he makes $3000-$275=$2725 or $68 per hour

Or when "packed properly" 1000 books/10 per hour = in 100 hours he makes $3000 or $30 per hour

And you think he is doing it wrong?

Before you answer, think about all the amazon shipments you have ever gotten of anything thrown in a box bouncing around with a single air pillow. I am sure they are doing it wrong too...

I'm not sure what point you're trying to illustrate. ???

That's because you don't understand how a business works. The cost to ship a $3 comic "the right way" costs way too much and too time consuming. Sellers aren't in it to lose money. It's best to throw those cheap Comics between some cardboard and a mailer and hope everything is ok. The mailers I use cost me 0.60 cents each, why should I counter use them when a jiffy ridge mailer costs me 0.40 cents each, label costs 0.06 each. And of course the buyer won't buy it unless it's shipped free, so there is another $2.60....it adds up quick.

ebFpUgN.jpg

In your scenario the sellers knows/expects 25% of his packages to arrive damaged?

I would imagine about 25% of packages shipped per the photos would be damaged in some way. However, I (along with most other boardies) am condition obsessive compared to average buyers, especially of $3 comics. So the average buyer might only consider some much smaller percentage to be damaged.

But that's acceptable because he makes more profit. Correct? I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand.

It's acceptable TO HIM because he makes more profit.

This is also why Amazon doesn't bother to pack "properly"

In your scenario the sellers knows/expects 25% of his packages to arrive damaged?

I would imagine about 25% of packages shipped per the photos would be damaged in some way. However, I (along with most other boardies) am condition obsessive compared to average buyers, especially of $3 comics. So the average buyer might only consider some much smaller percentage to be damaged.

But that's acceptable because he makes more profit. Correct? I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand.

It's acceptable TO HIM because he makes more profit.

This is also why Amazon doesn't bother to pack "properly"

Amazon also doesn't deal with packing peanuts because they have to ship so.many items, they don't have time to deal with them and they do nothing but make a mess. Only paper, air pillows and bubble wrap is allowed.

This exact experience just happened to me last week. I bought 4 books ranging from 9.2-9.6 for over $150. I then selected priority shipping option over 1st Class because I knew proper packaging for 4 books was too heavy for 1st class.

I received the books in a bubble mailer with the thin USPS cardboard as protection. Miraculously the books arrived undamaged after traveling from the West Coast to the East Coast. I have to think my P.O. Box saved some damage.

Just to let the seller know he messed up, I filed a claim because I did not receive the priority shipping I paid for and got my money back. For $150, I expected secure packaging.

Even if I sell a book for $0.99, I use two pieces of cardboard in a stiff envelope for secure shipping.

There is no difference between priority and first class. The same package becomes priority when it hits 17 ounces.

Does the First Class Package rate include $50 worth of insurance and free tracking from 0.00 - 15.99 ounces? If not, then that's a big difference right there...