• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flimsy eBay packaging: Why do it...?

48 posts in this topic

Yeah, I know: on eBay, ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances.

But…I still can't understand why some sellers take the risk of shipping perfectly decent comic books in nothing more than a polybag, backing board, manilla envelope, and two thin pieces of cardboard.

I know what I just described is borderline superlative for many eBay shippers, but to me, as both a buyer and a seller, it's sub-par at best.

For example, I recently received a nice VF copy of a somewhat tough to find, but not particularly valuable, BA DC book, packaged in this:

ebay-package1_zpsr4uwji4r.jpg

Also, because I rarely buy books on eBay these days, I got "Standard Shipping", which I foolishly assumed meant "Priority Mail", but which was instead Parcel Post (now known as First Class Package) with no insurance included as far as I can tell (but this is my fault for not checking the details or asking questions).

On the other hand, the book arrived with no damage whatsoever, even though it could have been mangled in a thousand different ways, variations of which I'm sure most of us have seen at one time or another, and sometimes with books packaged using much heartier materials than were used for this shipment.

So...why do it?

Is it a cost-benefit kind of thing, where a high sales volume with quick stock turnovers & low shipping charges make it easier to absorb the costs & hassles of "x"-number of damages/returns/insurance claims per month?

Is it that buyers (like me in this case!) simply tolerate so-so packaging, even though the potential for damage is high?

Is it that damaged parcels are much less common than we think? (NOTE: Having worked for the Post Office, I'm dubious about this one.)

Or is it some combination of all three?

Maybe I'm a worry-wart, or am just trying too damn hard. And I also don't sell on eBay at all these days. But when I do sell via mail-order (here on the boards or elsewhere), EVERY book I ship gets the royal treatment, regardless of its value, and I now use Priority Mail exclusively, with full insurance (sellers who persist in using Media Mail are another issue entirely…!)

Like many, many sellers here, even for a single book, I use a whole lot of this…

ebay-package2_zpskgxkp00b.jpg

And for shipments containing more than a small handful of comics, I use these…

ebay-package3_zps3lftsqrp.jpg

Is it overkill? Should I just get with the program, shave my costs, and roll the dice?

PS: VERY sorry if the seller of the book I received is a boardie and recognizes his/her packaging. The book arrived in fine shape (against the odds, in my view) so I'll be leaving positive feedback. Not trying to indict anyone here…just trying to understand the practice, that's all.

On that note, I don't sandwich books between cardboard sheets, either.

That can cause spine stress/ticks.

What do you use? Plywood? :grin:

All of the thick corrugated sheets I use--typically three per side--are trimmed to lay flat against the book. I weed out wavy or bent sheets (the pic I linked is of my bulk stock)...

A lot of sellers do not understand how easily a paper item can be damaged.

I heard that Mylar can give comics irritable bowel syndrome.

For realz.

...and cankles!

For realz.

...and cankles!

Goes without saying.

All of the thick corrugated sheets I use--typically three per side--are trimmed to lay flat against the book. I weed out wavy or bent sheets (the pic I linked is of my bulk stock)...

That is not why I don't go that route...even with 3 sheets...or 10....if a 50 pound box is stacked on top of a package that relies on a buffer, and not 4 walls.....the weight can cause spine ticks.

I lay a book (in a mylite2 with full backs) on a single sheet of thick cardboard...insert into a bubblewrap mailer (that has no wiggle room) with 1 piece oftape in lieu of the strip that is on mailers....place in a small box...again, no wiggle room...then add bubblewrap on top so the mailer stays in place, inside of the box.

Only drawback with this is the cost.

pre-fab miniature fire pit

pre-fab miniature fire pit...

...in a fifty-pound plywood box. ^^

I bought two or three full runs off the same seller on eBay once. The comics arrived in no bag, no board, tied up in a plastic grocery bag and placed in a box with plenty of room to flop around. Between the time I ordered and received my package he had done it to someone who had bought SO MANY runs off him and got slammed with negative feedback. I gave him my negative for the shipping but didn't ask for a refund because it was cheap and they were readers anyway.

I've also received comics in manilla envelopes without cardboard reinforcement, just the bag and board.

so the book arrived without damage but you are upset that the packaging was not up to your standards- which you apparently never told the seller about?

Usually people gripe when things go wrong. Nothing went wrong. Amateur paking job-- agreed-- but it was effective.

I get that the packaging was not incredible but what were the contents? Also-- talking about first class postage as if it is some sort of low rent way to ship is ridiculous. First class often times is as fast as priority mail.

If you want something boxed and extra measures taken, convey that info to the seller and offer to pay for it. That includes wanting priority mail, insurance, and anything else you were "expecting" as normal.

Standard shipping has always meant (to me) shipping it the most cost effective way they can. Some people try to get away with media mail-- which I agree is terrible and should never be used unless it actually qualifies (TPBs for example).

Yeah, I know: on eBay, ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances.

But…I still can't understand why some sellers take the risk of shipping perfectly decent comic books in nothing more than a polybag, backing board, manilla envelope, and two thin pieces of cardboard.

I know what I just described is borderline superlative for many eBay shippers, but to me, as both a buyer and a seller, it's sub-par at best.

The sad truth is that I've received the exact same method of comic in bag/board with two thin cutouts of Priority boxes inside manila envelope recently, and both times seller boasted that they 'package very carefully to get to you safely', or words to that effect.

so the book arrived without damage but you are upset that the packaging was not up to your standards- which you apparently never told the seller about?

Usually people gripe when things go wrong. Nothing went wrong. Amateur paking job-- agreed-- but it was effective.

I get that the packaging was not incredible but what were the contents? Also-- talking about first class postage as if it is some sort of low rent way to ship is ridiculous. First class often times is as fast as priority mail.

If you want something boxed and extra measures taken, convey that info to the seller and offer to pay for it. That includes wanting priority mail, insurance, and anything else you were "expecting" as normal.

Standard shipping has always meant (to me) shipping it the most cost effective way they can. Some people try to get away with media mail-- which I agree is terrible and should never be used unless it actually qualifies (TPBs for example).

If you were responding to me, where did I say I was upset? I relayed a recent packing job on topic for the thread. The book arrived ok, and because the book was ok I was amused by the ridiculous packaging that I wouldn't think anyone could actually defend. If it is on me to explain to sellers that food boxes are not appropriate packing materials for anything I'd spend money on (other than the food originally contained in said box in the grocery store) then I guess that is my bad. Fortunately they didn't commit your cardinal sin of shipping said Cheez-It box via media mail!

So...why do it?

The dubious and questionable answers aside, the answer is because most people don't understand the significance of condition as it relates to comics. That's what it boils down to.

"It's just paper", they say, if they think about it at all. They don't receive books, and they certainly don't see the end result...and the reality is, the vast majority don't care.

I managed to stop, by sheer chance (she asked me) a DC employee who happened to be in front of me in the line at the PO. She was shipping someone a Dark Knight III book, and she asked if I was shipping comics, too. I told her yes, and asked her if she was going to just slip the raw comic into the priority envelope and send it as is. She said yes, but asked what I do. I told her about bags and boards (!), as well as cardboard sandwiches (which work fine, by the way, almost all the time) and she thanked me and left the line.

Most people just don't understand, and can't understand, until and unless it hurts their pocketbook (do people even carry pocketbooks anymore...?)

Before I collected comics, I honestly thought comic collectors were a little "off" getting so fussy about a single dent, crease, or bent corner. Now I see the light. It is probably why a lot of collectors keep their hobbies to themselves, as it is hard to understand unless you are a collector yourself.

I hear ya and feel your pain, bro. My biggest pet peeve. I whined about it a few times on here and got nasties from the pro-seller side and nods from the OCD/burnt buyers sides. You got lucky on that shipment mi amigo.

Take my advice. If the juice is worth the squeeze, you can offer to pay more for him to ship more carefully but in my experience I've even seen sellers inept at packing a single comic in a box which should also be avoided unless they know what they are doing. Loose comic bagged and boarded in a cardboard box,= blunted color breaking creases on 1 or more corners. Best method I've seen reliably to date has been the comic T-mailer cardboard foldable box. Don't get me wrong I've seen sellers pull off the thin cardboard envelope or bubble mailer with moderately difficult to bend cardboard slabs inside very frequently without damage.

As to the why? Well if they are offering free shipping or a volume seller, it simply comes down to % success and partial refund acceptance to low return for refund ratio that still keeps it profitable to do so. When you find a seller that packs well, you're willing to pay a little extra on his BIN price or best offer than you normally would but most buyers will still move on and roll the dice with a seller offering free shipping and a slightly lower BIN price.

Be cool, keep calm and collect on.

If you were responding to me, where did I say I was upset? I relayed a recent packing job on topic for the thread. The book arrived ok, and because the book was ok I was amused by the ridiculous packaging that I wouldn't think anyone could actually defend. If it is on me to explain to sellers that food boxes are not appropriate packing materials for anything I'd spend money on (other than the food originally contained in said box in the grocery store) then I guess that is my bad. Fortunately they didn't commit your cardinal sin of shipping said Cheez-It box via media mail!

I was just responding to the thread and not directly toward your post.

The use of a Cheese It box is not a reasonable way to ship anything but Cheese Its

I've also had seller send stuff with little regard to how they packaged stuff-- and I agree with those here that it comes down to understanding the condition aspect of the hobby. I am surprised when those who provide such minimal protection are successful at shipping a book unharmed. I had one non-comic person send a TTA 98 with not even a bag on it inside a PM envelope. I took some of the blame myself for not attempting to ask for proper packing. I saw their high feedback (in the thousands) and stellar 100% number and didn't want to act like they didn't know what they were doing. Book arrived damaged-- with a small piece broken loose from the spine. I wrote them with pictures and they were extremely responsive and asked if I could give them some pointers on packing (gave them the link to the thread pinned on CG). Upon further review, their lack of knowledge for shipping comics should have been obvious based on the rest of their listings and sold items. I guess this was an estate find or something similar. I wasn't really trying to get anything back from them - just trying to explain how to pack stuff better going forward, but they gave me a full refund without any prompting.

Now I understand that for many collectors-- especially of moderns-- NM-/NM is the only thing worth collecting. Myself-- I am not so hell bent on condition and am fine with mid-grade books (typically SA or BA only) when I find them at mid-grade prices. Most likely if I were to buy something expecting a 9.0 or above, I would be pretty upset if they did a bad job shipping it.

So I understand why this is such a pain for many. I just was surprised that a successful shipment, albeit not bomb-proof, prompted this thread.