• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why isnt there a platinum age comics thread?

31 posts in this topic

And I am not the oldest member here! So nyah nyah nyah nyah! Beedy beedy BEEdy! tongue.gif

George Burns collects comics?

Oh wait, he's dead. stooges.gif

POV was George Burns' 1st grade teacher.

I think his social security number is like "2". 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And I am not the oldest member here! So nyah nyah nyah nyah! Beedy beedy BEEdy! tongue.gif

I hate you. I hate you SO much! I just HATE you! yeahok.gifyeahok.gifyeahok.gif

27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gif

Geeze even my HATE is ridiculed. To paraphrase: Edward G. Robinson "Mother of Mercy. Is this the end of POV?" frown.gif

PS - I bet DiceX gets it before YOU do! tongue.gif

27_laughing.gif

Geeze even my HATE is ridiculed. To paraphrase: Edward G. Robinson "Mother of Mercy. Is this the end of POV?" frown.gif

blush.gifhail.gifflowerred.gif

angel.gif

27_laughing.gif

Don't bet on it.

mov1599.jpgtongue.gif

http://www.gotwavs.com/cgi-bin/wavs.cgi?Little_Caesar=lcaesar.wav

27_laughing.gif

Don't bet on it.

mov1599.jpgtongue.gif

http://www.gotwavs.com/cgi-bin/wavs.cgi?Little_Caesar=lcaesar.wav

Well Dice posted first but you got tyhe right answer first so...you win. Well, you actually don't win a tangible object but - you win! grin.gif

The Magnet was not a comic but a text based publication, which is why it's not included in most UK Comics guides. It is an example of a UK 'Storypaper' or 'story magazine’, which is more similar to a US Dime novel than to a comic. The most similar publication to The Magnet still published today in the UK is probably the women’s story magazine 'The People's Friend'

Regards Earl.

Got them for around the price they are worth. if they fit into slabs i'll get em done and sell all but one. i asked this in another forum but i may aswell ask here too. Do CGC slab comics sized at 10.5" x 7.5"? Ifnot then i'll be re-selling these to make a small profit i hope.

I can see pulling the trigger on those books - 20 or so 70-year old books for about $2 each? Amazing. But how will you turn a profit after slabbing them? Won't you have to sell them for $30 each or more at that point?

Or is there another market, besides comic book collectors, where you're thinking of selling these? I could see certain types of antique book collectors, or "Edwardiana" (like some people collect "Americana") fans, paying a premium for 'comics' like these once they were in nice, presentable 'frames' (slabs). Is that the idea?

I have maybe five platinum age books, one of which isn't even listed in the OS guide. I love 'em, and would buy more of them - especially Buster Brown and Winsor McCay stuff - but they're

- somewhat difficult to find, in the sense of 'completing runs'

- pretty expensive and rather fragile, given their age

- more challenging to store safely (not uniform in size, no 'standard' storage materials)

If it was worth it to get the others slabbed then i would do it. a bit of a gamble i know. I might just sell them raw. Chances of an edwardian collector etc knowing about cgc is minimal so they would just buy them for the "frame" i guess.