• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 5 Marvel SA keys

144 posts in this topic

My top five would be:

AF #15

ASM #1

FF #1

X-Men #1

Avengers #1

I just feel that even though ASM #1 doesn't introduce any major characters (Chamelean), it's still one of the most recognized Marvel books out there. It started the path for arguably the best title ever. Plus, it's the 2nd or 3rd most expensive Marvel book out there.

The next five would be:

Hulk #1

JIM #83

TOS #39

DD #1

FF #5

I cant agree that Avengers 4 gets on this elite list at all. Cap was brought back pretty late in the game at Marvel. If Cap was such a great character, or held in the same esteem YOU have for him, Stan and Jack (especially Jack who co-created him) would have written it so that Johnny Storm found Steve Rogers in issue 4 instead of Namor, right? Instead they worked merrily onward creating characters and stories for a few years before they completed the GA recycling by bringing back Cap.

And, as much of all-American icon Cap represents, he's always been a pretty bland underwhelmingly successful character and title.

I don't know what took them so long to bring him back but I still feel that it was one of the great moments for Marvel back in the SA. If DC has any doubt that they were not being dominated by Marvel back in the early 60's this was the knockout punch that dropped them and kept them down for the next 4-5 years. I wish I knew why they decided to wait so long before the brought him back. Surely they must have discussed it for years?

I just think that the way they brought Cap back was brilliant, couldn't have written it any better especially with the Sub-Mariner tie in.

Spider-man, X-men, and the Hulk are Marvel's most well-known characters (in that order), and FF 1 started it all so the top 4 books are:

Amazing Fantasy 15

FF 1

Hulk 1

X-men 1

Not surprisingly, the 4 books listed above along with Spidey #1 are the 5 most valuable Marvels according to Overstreet. Looking at actual sales data, you can add Journey into Mystery 83 to the list as it's right up there with X-men 1 in terms of value. However, since we're looking for the top 5 keys and not the top 5 most valuable books, we can drop Spidey 1 off the list and therefore, I present you with the Big Five:

Amazing Fantasy 15

FF 1

Hulk 1

X-men 1

JIM 83

Arguably, one could substitute ToS 39 or DD 1 for the JIM 83, but no way on God's green Earth do Avengers 1 or 4 trump any of the Big Five!! foreheadslap.gif

(For those that don't have Hulk 1 on the list ----> screwy.gif)

Arguably, one could substitute ToS 39 or DD 1 for the JIM 83, but no way on God's green Earth do Avengers 1 or 4 trump any of the Big Five!!

(For those that don't have Hulk 1 on the list ----> )

First part I agree with, (but I use TOS #39 instead of JIM #83).

Second part, I only agree with because he is earlier in the Marvel Universe, not because he is more popular.

yeah. I just dont see Thors arrival as all that important, and just cause he came before many others doesnt elevate what was, for the most part, a character that existed in his own Pocket Marvel Universe. In his first 80 issues, he had a Hulk crossover, Hercules origin, High Evolutionary, Absorbing Man, The Ringmaster(!), and finally, almost 8 years later, Galactus and Surfer show up. ... plua a dozen Avengers adventures. Most of all Thor's stories revolved around Norse legends.

(this was all from memory, so pardon me any errors or omissions, Thor fans!)

yeah. I just dont see Thors arrival as all that important, and just cause he came before many others doesnt elevate what was, for the most part, a character that existed in his own Pocket Marvel Universe. In his first 80 issues, he had a Hulk crossover, Hercules origin, High Evolutionary, Absorbing Man, The Ringmaster(!), and finally, almost 8 years later, Galactus and Surfer show up. ... plua a dozen Avengers adventures. Most of all Thor's stories revolved around Norse legends.

Not to mention Thor currently doesn't have an ongoing series of his own (although I must admit Ultimate Thor is my favorite superhero character in comics other than Daredevil right now.)

Spider-man, X-men, and the Hulk are Marvel's most well-known characters (in that order), and FF 1 started it all so the top 4 books are:

Amazing Fantasy 15

FF 1

Hulk 1

X-men 1

Not surprisingly, the 4 books listed above along with Spidey #1 are the 5 most valuable Marvels according to Overstreet. Looking at actual sales data, you can add Journey into Mystery 83 to the list as it's right up there with X-men 1 in terms of value. However, since we're looking for the top 5 keys and not the top 5 most valuable books, we can drop Spidey 1 off the list and therefore, I present you with the Big Five:

Amazing Fantasy 15

FF 1

Hulk 1

X-men 1

JIM 83

Arguably, one could substitute ToS 39 or DD 1 for the JIM 83, but no way on God's green Earth do Avengers 1 or 4 trump any of the Big Five!! foreheadslap.gif

Hulk, who's Hulk? confused.gif

Amazing Fantasy 15

FF 1

Hulk 1

X-men 1

Amazing Fantasy 15

FF 1

Hulk 1

X-men 1

JIM 83

He's the big green guy who always beats the 893censored-thumb.gif out the the Thing!

blush.gif

Amazing Fantasy 15

FF 1

Hulk 1

X-men 1

Amazing Fantasy 15

FF 1

Hulk 1

X-men 1

JIM 83

He's the big green guy who always beats the 893censored-thumb.gif out the the Thing!

blush.gif

27_laughing.gif

Hulk Smash non-believers!!

hulksmash.gif

Amazing Fantasy 15

FF 1

Hulk 1

X-men 1

Amazing Fantasy 15

FF 1

Hulk 1

X-men 1

JIM 83

I find it hard to put the Hulk there because he lasted 6 issues then didn't resurface for another two years until TTA#59? Hardly one of Marvel's blue chippers back in the day.

[

I find it hard to put the Hulk there because he lasted 6 issues then didn't resurface for another two years until TTA#59? Hardly one of Marvel's blue chippers back in the day.

Yeah, but X-Men was never very successful in the SA and went into reprints in the 70s and no one has even raised a peep about it's inclusion. Overall, the impact has been great. Just like, overall, the Hulk's impact has been greater than Thor's.

Amazing Fantasy 15

FF 1

Hulk 1

X-men 1

Amazing Fantasy 15

FF 1

Hulk 1

X-men 1

JIM 83

blush.gif

893censored-thumb.gif

For those (like Rob) that question the validity of the X-Men over Hulk, at least X-Men lasted 66 issues before going into reprints. Isn't it a coincidence that Hulk appeared in the last original issue before 94? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

[

Yeah, but X-Men was never very successful in the SA and went into reprints in the 70s and no one has even raised a peep about it's inclusion. Overall, the impact has been great. Just like, overall, the Hulk's impact has been greater than Thor's.

I left the X-Men off for that very reason and that is why when we talk about SA books I try and think of their impact in that era. Certainly the Hulk is more well known than Thor for the past 30 years but wasn't exactly a big hit in the early days. In terms of significance for the era at that time I think Avengers #4 and FF#4 are huge especially given the circumstances in the mid 50's that led to their decline. They dissappeared without a trace for 6-7 years so can you imagine what it would have been like to pick those mags up for the first time. Maybe Burnt Boy can share a story or two from back in the day. In modern day books, rebirth's or relanches of characters are a monthly occurance, unfortunantely.

For those (like Rob) that question the validity of the X-Men over Hulk,

Where did I question it? X-Men #1 is on my list- posted plain as day earlier in this thread. I was just giving an example to counter the argument that lack of Silver Age success should disqualify a book. Actually, three books on my list were not so successful in the Silver Age (DD#1, Hulk#1 and X-Men #1,) but the intervening years have shown more to the characters than the Silver Age was able to uncover (especially DD and the X-Men, concepts that were clearly meant for "darker" times.)

For those (like Rob) that question the validity of the X-Men over Hulk,

Where did I question it?

sorry.gif

JIM 83: With the exception of Simonson's run, has Thor ever been REALLY popular? I don't really think so. I can't name one Thor book that I would consider a real key between 225 and 337 and from there to the end of the run.

FF#4: Sub Mariner is a supporting character. A great one, but a supporting character nonetheless. It's a key book for sure, but it belongs nowhere near this list.

Avengers #4 is a stronger book than the two above, but I just can't get all that excited about a reintroduction like that. Especially since it's not even a fresh reconceptualization like the DC reintros that had gone on in the preceding decade.

Overall, I'm not sure how you can ignore lasting impact so easily. A 4 or 5 year time span is so much more important than the 35+ years since? I'm just not buying it.

Amazing Fantasy 15

FF 1

Hulk 1

X-men 1

Amazing Fantasy 15

FF 1

Hulk 1

X-men 1

JIM 83

Your argument would have some validity if we we're trying to determine what the top 5 Marvel SA keys were "back in the day", but what we're doing is trying to determine what the top 5 Marvel SA keys are today.

Didn't resurface until TTA 59? Nope, Hulk appeared in both FF and Spider-man prior to TTA 59, and he was the first Marvel SA character to crossover into another title. Hulk's cover appearance on FF 12 ushered in the era of Marvel's "hero vs. hero" covers (and something that made them different from DC) that are so highly sought after today (FF 12/25/26, DD 7/16/17 ASM 19, TTA 59, Avengers 11, ToS 49, ST 107, the list goes on and on...). Hulk appeared in early issues of FF, Spider-man, and Journey into Mystery, was a founding member of the Avengers, and today is Marvel's 3rd most widely recognized franchise character behind Spidey and the X-men.