• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 5 Marvel SA keys

144 posts in this topic

but whats wrong with that? At least there is a large demand to soak up the extra copies of Marvels. My thing was I always like DCs better, so I was collecting both. But, while DCs are scarcer in grade, the lower demand is a big yellow caution sign. Dont you think?

Not necessarily. The DCs are doing alright, even though the market for them is not as big. But I'm betting that will change over time, as collectors who are new to the slab market get a little more savvy about their purchases and the relative scarcity of their books.

perhaps that's why i sold my ASM's 1-5 for $10 in 1964?!?!?! 893whatthe.gif

Wow that was over a 1600% return in a year - you must have been stoked!

i can only pray that little Mario's mom threw them out one day............ 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

What you say is true. Collecting high grade DCs is a lot like trying to date the captain of the cheerleading squad. She is beautiful, virtually unobtainable -- and dumb as a box full of hair. But despite how stupid she is, you have a smile on your face a mile wide when you finally nail her because there's only one captain of the cheerleading squad. cloud9.gif

Okay, that`s a bit more information on your high school insecurities or fantasies than we really needed to know. foreheadslap.gif

What you say is true. Collecting high grade DCs is a lot like trying to date the captain of the cheerleading squad. She is beautiful, virtually unobtainable -- and dumb as a box full of hair. But despite how stupid she is, you have a smile on your face a mile wide when you finally nail her because there's only one captain of the cheerleading squad. cloud9.gif

Okay, that`s a bit more information on your high school insecurities or fantasies than we really needed to know. foreheadslap.gif

893blahblah.gif Humorless wretch. mad.gif

Says the guy who doesn't even collect SA Marvel. You're a real convincing authority on the topic. 27_laughing.gifhail.gif

I was a Marvel zombie with the best of them for most of my collecting life, and actually still know Marvel stories and characters much better than I know DC. confused-smiley-013.gif

I stopped collecting Marvel and switched to early DC because the thrill of the chase was gone. Collecting ultra-HG Marvels had simply become an exercise of whipping out the checkbook and letting dealers know that you were willing to write big checks, because it was all readily available with just a few exceptions.

mad.gif Yet another of my beautiful theories brutalized by a vicious gang of facts! Christo_pull_hair.gif

Hey, FFB's girl.. I have something interesting for you to read.

She is beautiful, virtually unobtainable -- and dumb as a box full of hair.

I like this analogy... especially the dumb part. hail.gif

I prefer "child-like in its simplicity and innocence", rather than "dumb"! yeahok.gif

>>> But are we gauging the importance of the book as a key by how the characters were thought of when the books were printed, or are we gauging that in terms of their relative importance in the present day? <<<

FFB:

In the mid-60's, Spidey caught the FF in popularity (just as I used the example of the FF guest-starring in Spidey 1, Spidey gave DD a boost in his first issue), but not in importance to the collectors who were around from the start of the Marvel Age. And because there were so many cross-overs in those days, collectors bought every Marvel book. We didn't want to miss a single appearance of any of our favorites. If Spidey was guest-starring in DD 1 it gave that title a "seal of approval" for all the Spidey fans to get on board.

Today more collectors consider Spider-man the most important character, therefore they believe the issue with his first appearance is more important than the FF's. I think these collectors are confusing importance with popularity.

The topic is the "Top 5 Marvel Keys". If by "top" we're referring to "importance", then it's FF 1. If by "top" we mean "popularity", then it's AF 15.

I really think this is an old-school/new school situation...

Yup, and I'm happy to be labeled old-school! thumbsup2.gif

I've read some of the reasons why various characters or comics are deemed more important than others, and the movie box office gross and licensing revenues of some characters have been implied or expressly cited as reasons. Since when did the arbitrary selections of a few Hollywood know-nothings determine where a character ranks in the comic pantheon?

I've read some of the reasons why various characters or comics are deemed more important than others, and the movie box office gross and licensing revenues of some characters have been implied or expressly cited as reasons. Since when did the arbitrary selections of a few Hollywood know-nothings determine where a character ranks in the comic pantheon?

What do licensing revenues from the sales of consumer products have to do with Hollywood know-nothings? It is a measure of popularity of the character because the licensing revenues demonstrate how popular a character is with the general public. Do you have a better measuring stick, or do we just go with your say so that one character is better than another?

What do licensing revenues from the sales of consumer products have to do with Hollywood know-nothings? It is a measure of popularity of the character because the licensing revenues demonstrate how popular a character is with the general public. Do you have a better measuring stick, or do we just go with your say so that one character is better than another?

So popularity is the only measuring stick? Things like historical significance, influence on other characters/titles, and role in evolution of Marvel and comics in general, have no impact? By your metrics, the Top 5 movie poll would basically consist of the 5 biggest grossing movies of all time and the Top 5 books poll would consist of the 5 biggest selling books of all time, and we could conclude that that useless hack Bill Shakespeare should go worship at the feet of Sidney Sheldon. screwy.gif

what are you guys arguing about? No one said top grossing movies are the most important factor in our silly poll. But the handful of Marvel movies has affected the values of many of these books... and enhances their stature against characters without movies and licensing deals to daste. Youd have to ne incredibly stubborn not to agree with that.

When you add everythung into the mix, movie success counts just as much as other factors.

So popularity is the only measuring stick?

NO

Things like historical significance, influence on other characters/titles, and role in evolution of Marvel and comics in general, have no impact?

Of course they do... and so does their status and awareness in the real world. Clearly Spider-man's success as a licensing tool and billion dollar film franchise makes his first comic book appearance the #2 book on this list. How could it NOT affect his standing?