• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 5 Marvel SA keys

144 posts in this topic

so now that we see how dificult it is to pick a Top 20 list lets try it the other way. Instead of debating the second tier first appearances etc, lets try to fight it out over the Big book sthat were on EVERYBODY's top 20 lists, and pare them down to the Essential 5

Here's the contenders:

Amazing Fantasy 15

Amazing Spider-man 1

Avengers 1

Avengers 4

Daredevil 1

Fantastic Four 1

Hulk 1

Journey into Mystery 83

Strange Tales 110

Tales of Suspense 39

Tales to Astonish 27

X-Men 1

Heres my list:

Amazing Fantasy 15

Fantastic Four 1

X-Men 1

Hulk 1

Avengers 1

reasons: the first 4 are IMO obvious. Only #5 gets tricky. Out of the remaining first appearances, I voted for Marvel'l JLA over the initial appearances of Thor, Iron Man and Ant-Man. The Avengers have maintained more popularity and impact on the Marvel Universe for 40 years than the other individual titles.

i would think DD#1 over avengers, mainly because i am biased, but in all seriousness, avengers #1 doesn't have any major first appearances, cap was there before, so was hulk, thor and iron man, the rest are fairly bottom rung characters that appeared previously, i could be wrong but were the avengers as a team the only thing new in the book?

I would replace Avengers #1 with Tales of Suspense #39.

Reasons:

1) While the Avengers are the first combined team, out of the top four, you already have two teams (FF and X-Men). So the idea of a team is not special in itself.

2) I feel that Iron-Man is a more popular past and present Super Hero then Thor or Ant-Man (no doubt there). Daredevil could give him a run for the money, but Iron-Man came first, and because he's part of the Avengers, he was in more issues during the Silver-Age.

The other one that might get excluded from the top five is Hulk #1 only because he obviously wasn't that popular during the SA (hence only six issues). Took him over another year, to get back into a title regularly. And the value of Hulk #1 is part because of the Hulk, and two, the scarity of the issue.

And if I took him out, I would either include Dardevil #1 or even maybe FF #5 (Doctor Doom) and Doom shows up in many different titles.

agree with iron man being a big appearance, so he could begrudginly be in the top five, but i think the list should probably be

AF #15

DD #1

X-men #1

FF #1

TOS #39

I could live with that. grin.gif

These are the big four:

Fantastic Four 1

Amazing Fantasy 15

X-Men 1

Hulk 1

You can pick your 5th depending on who you are a fan of.

Thor

Iron Man

Doc Strange

Daredevil

Ant Man 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

agree with iron man being a big appearance, so he could begrudginly be in the top five, but i think the list should probably be

AF #15

DD #1

X-men #1

FF #1

TOS #39

I could live with that. grin.gif

you and your TOS bias! tongue.gif

I think we can all agree on the top 3, right? AF 15, FF 1, X-Men 1.

I will agree with you on the list, but TOS 39 makes it there BY DEFAULT. acclaim.gif

i think those two make it ahead of the others because of the influence their titles had on the MU.

DD begat bullseye, elektra, purple man(not big but still used).

Iron man, well the avengers would have absolutely nothing without him after losing their funding, also war machine, kang, young avengers.

I agree, yet the original X-Men was Marvel's weakest title I believe. What's also interesting is it' not until the 14th issue (Nov 1965) that the title becomes monthly instead of every other month Over two years after their first appearance.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I agree, yet the original X-Men was Marvel's weakest title I believe. What's also interesting is it' not until the 14th issue (Nov 1965) that the title becomes monthly instead of every other month Over two years after their first appearance.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The weakest among those titles that lasted more than six issues...

*cough*

flowerred.gif

The weakness of certain titles at the time they were published really isn't relevant to their status today. When I was a young Marvel Zombie in the

early 70s, Hulk #1 would have been in a top 5 list because he had already proven to be an enduring character, even if his original comic had been cancelled, whereas X-men #1 would never have made the cut as the title had recently become a reprint book. At that time the top 5 books would have been:

FF #1

AF #15

ASM #1

Hulk #1

JiM #83 - due to its status as a 1962 book

FF 1

AF 15

Xmen 1

AV 4

Hulk 1

Cap > Daredevil > Iron Man > Thor

Whether or not I agree with the "Cap>DD" assessment, I just can't see a re-introduction trumping a true first appearance.

I cant agree that Avengers 4 gets on this elite list at all. Cap was brought back pretty late in the game at Marvel. If Cap was such a great character, or held in the same esteem YOU have for him, Stan and Jack (especially Jack who co-created him) would have written it so that Johnny Storm found Steve Rogers in issue 4 instead of Namor, right? Instead they worked merrily onward creating characters and stories for a few years before they completed the GA recycling by bringing back Cap.

And, as much of all-American icon Cap represents, he's always been a pretty bland underwhelmingly successful character and title.