• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Remove Fantastic Four #48 CGC 8.0 from case to have Stan sign it?

29 posts in this topic

Never. Might even ruin a beautiful book.

You can see his sig get worse almost on a daily basis. Recently bought a lot that included TOS 57 with SS certify of Stan's sig, that reads "Stanle." [i don't care that it was certified, it looks like .]

And his sigs aren't getting any better. But I *would* do it if you could go back in time to get a clean nice looking sig, from him, and then also move to future to see that the sig was well placed on the cover and nobody beat up the comic below VF condition. Otherwise it's a roll of the dice, imo.

I had Stan Lee and Joe Sinnott sign my Silver Surfer #1 for the CGC signature series last year. I picked specific spots on the book for Lee and Sinnott to sign and requested Lee sign in black marker as his signature in silver tends to look mashed together. Signatures came out great and interestingly enough the book had been graded 8.5 with white pages by another company and it came back to me from CGC as a 9.0 with off-white pages. A worthwhile trade off in my opinion.

However, I also have a FF#48 CGC 9.2 with white pages that I will not let Lee sign as I would be afraid it might get mishandled when signing and go down a grade.

I unslabbed a few books last month to have Stan Lee's signature added at Rose City Comicon. If figure if it got mangled in front of me by Mr. Lee, it would make for a better story than a high grade book.

I'm happy to report they are all accounted for on my invoice page now, I haven't been more nervous about submissions...even if they're not super valuable books. There won't be many more opportunities to get that 'squashed' signature...

I've never seen this done, but if it were me, I'd request that he signed the first page instead. You still get the signature without messing up a beautiful Jack Kirby cover.

With the way that Stan Lee's handlers deal with books, that would be a recipe for disaster.

No - do not do it. Stan's sigs are too common and getting worse. Just buy one if you want one. There is a big group of people, including me, that will not buy SS books.

The more you monkey with it, hand if off to his handlers, who hands if off to Stan, then hand it off to CGC, lot more room for error. Plus what if Stan blobs his signature (like he seems to do more often lately).

I too could care less about a SS book. No interest.

Any valued comic books are in the range of VG to FN would be ideal for the signature series.

So if you don't collect low grade books, you're basically screwed? :)

For me, a good silver age signature series book is one where the signature placement is fairly unobtrusive and the signer actually worked on the book - I have zero interest in 4.0-6.0 books, so why wouldn't I get the high grade books that I collect signed?

captain-america-109-cgc-9.8-ss-f.jpg

Any valued comic books are in the range of VG to FN would be ideal for the signature series.

So if you don't collect low grade books, you're basically screwed? :)

For me, a good silver age signature series book is one where the signature placement is fairly unobtrusive and the signer actually worked on the book - I have zero interest in 4.0-6.0 books, so why wouldn't I get the high grade books that I collect signed?

captain-america-109-cgc-9.8-ss-f.jpg

I have never in my life owned a signed comic. They just don't appeal to me. This book, however, with it's perfect signature placement, is beautiful.

I would get Stan to sign the slab instead and take a picture of him doing it.

I saw a Walking Dead #1 once with 12 cast member signatures on the case - the owner dropped the book, cracked the case, had to have it reholdered and could then watch his $1000+ in signature fees flush happily down the toilet.