• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trying to collect a complete issue in this current market

44 posts in this topic

I recently ran across a deal for 6 sequential pages from a recent comic run, that I unfortunately missed out on by an errant email, but it got me thinking that if I had secured those 6 pages would I have been lucky enough to find the remaining 15 pages to complete it?

I have only slightly flirted with the idea of collecting a complete issue, but with the current market of high prices, fellow collectors who potentially will not sell a page just because I want to complete it, and the numerous pages that just are in the wild, is it even worth pursuing?

I know that if you time it right one can get a whole issue of a modern comic, but as nice as that would be, that's not my goal at this time.

Any completists finding it harder to locate those missing pages now or is it actually gotten easier to find them?

And my favorite...does one announce what they are doing in hopes of getting a few "black hole" pieces to pop up? I know this runs the risk of driving the prices up on the completist collector, but does it hold the advantage of actually getting the page as opposed to never having it at all?

Over the course of the past 5 years I've been putting together a nice selection of pages from a UK comic-strip that ran to a 48 page storyline during 1965 (Kelly's Eye - The Vampire of Raffino). It has its own gallery on my CAF.

Probably be an unknown to most collectors outside of my country, but that particular storyline represents one of my fondest comic-book memories from the 1960s (my era of nostalgia).

Of the 48 pages, I have 32 originals (two-thirds of the story art).

A Spanish collector on CAF owns a page from the story. He wants something like 10 x FMV (maybe more) in trade from me. I'm quite prepared to give him a very good deal, but not an extortionate one. His expectations go beyond greed, but that's his choice. My choice is not to cave-in, as much as I'd like to add his page to a storyline that means a lot to me.

It happens . . .

I recently ran across a deal for 6 sequential pages from a recent comic run, that I unfortunately missed out on by an errant email, but it got me thinking that if I had secured those 6 pages would I have been lucky enough to find the remaining 15 pages to complete it?

I have only slightly flirted with the idea of collecting a complete issue, but with the current market of high prices, fellow collectors who potentially will not sell a page just because I want to complete it, and the numerous pages that just are in the wild, is it even worth pursuing?

I know that if you time it right one can get a whole issue of a modern comic, but as nice as that would be, that's not my goal at this time.

Any completists finding it harder to locate those missing pages now or is it actually gotten easier to find them?

And my favorite...does one announce what they are doing in hopes of getting a few "black hole" pieces to pop up? I know this runs the risk of driving the prices up on the completist collector, but does it hold the advantage of actually getting the page as opposed to never having it at all?

Better to buy as a whole issue from the start. It is possible once in a while.

Or, at least, as a whole story (referring here to books that contain multiple stories).

Piecing together a whole issue? Feh, not worth it. Those six pages you almost got would have been the easiest six. The next 15 would only have been harder.

I've been lucky to get a couple complete issues/stories, but they were all purchased complete.

I have some issues I'm close to completing (48/56, 21/24 to name a couple) but I've gotten no closer since buying the initial bulk. I saw one page from one of those issues on eBay YEARS ago, but i missed out on it :pullhair: Since then I've never seen another page from either of the two issues.

My opinion is to put out a general "looking for pages from . . . . " want list. 2c

BTW, looking for any PREACHER pages :wishluck:

Better to buy as a whole issue from the start. It is possible once in a while.

Piecing together a whole issue? Feh, not worth it.

I bought two complete EC books from the 1940s, when the company started out as Educational Comics. Fact is, I only wanted the covers, but they were sold as complete books (probably paid something like $2K apiece, so they didn't exactly break the bank for me).

On the other hand, trying to piece back together my Kelly's Eye 48 page storyline has proved far more satisfying as I've enjoyed the hunt immensely. The 32 pages I now have represent what is (for me) the best sequences of the storyline and even though the prospect of adding further components grows slim, I'm delighted with what I have (two-thirds of the story). So, for me, it has been a worthwhile exercise.

Never. Ever. EVER announce you're trying to complete a book. EVER!

For every person willing to help you out, help you find a page, or sell you their page at a reasonable price, I would wager there are at least 4-5 people who see it as an opportunity to either beat you to the punch and hold the piece hostage waiting for a ransom, or (more and more common in this hobby) find out where the page is and gate-keep the information until you agree to pay them a finder fee for the information....you know for the "service" and the "courtesy". :eyeroll:

The first rule of "Complete Issue Collecting Club" is "DON'T TALK ABOUT COMPLETE ISSUE COLLECTING CLUB!"

I added about 8 pages to my storyline by mentioning in my CAF that I was trying to piece it back together and another collector reached out to me.

It can go either way, fer sure, as on the downside I now have a Spanish collector trying to hold me to ransom. (shrug)

For every person willing to help you out, help you find a page, or sell you their page at a reasonable price, I would wager there are at least 4-5 people who see it as an opportunity to either beat you to the punch and hold the piece hostage waiting for a ransom, or (more and more common in this hobby) find out where the page is and gate-keep the information until you agree to pay them a finder fee for the information....you know for the "service" and the "courtesy". :eyeroll:

The first rule of "Complete Issue Collecting Club" is "DON'T TALK ABOUT COMPLETE ISSUE COLLECTING CLUB!"

Sound advice, I have to think this is the way to go

I wouldn't mind getting the full interiors to a Valentino penciled Guardians issue, but that title is 25 years old so not sure how applicable the example is to the original post.

While I wouldn't mind it- I have no intention of doing so. There are issues that I have 6 or so pages from (out of 22 pages), and between a few other large collections I know of I could probably get upwards of 16 out of 22 pages for some books. Easily the majority. That said, those last several pages are likely in collections that have been forgotten about for decades, sitting in a box in some attic somewhere. I'll never see 'em.

As far as letting people know what I'm looking for, I'm at a point that no matter how much I love a piece of art, I have enough of the stuff in general (too much) and don't have any interest in dealing with any significant wankers. Just not worth it at this point. That's why I don't mind sometimes advertising what I'm looking for.

Thanks to everyone for the heads up on doing a complete run. It was as I figured and I appreciate the advice that will save me from what would most likely have been a long, long frustrating search and filled with greedy interactions that would leave me angry on the whole deal. I'll just stick with a few fun pages from the books I read when I was younger and save my wallet the grief.

While I have a few complete issues, I can't take a whole lot of credit for them. They were kept (mostly) complete close to their publication dates, and I am merely their current curator.

The one well-scattered issue I'm trying to compile will be a lifelong effort.

It is very sound advice by Comix4Fun in that you have nothing to gain and everything to lose by making public your pursuits. It's okay to announce looking for one or two pages once you get the majority of the issue in your hands, but also don't act hungry and be casual about it.

Once you show people you fall in love with a piece, you've taken the bait and are marked as a sucker, so don't obsess and be cool, calm and collected. Stay underneath the radar.

If you're looking to complete a book, the best way is getting it direct from the artist, especially in the cases where they've illustrated the cover too, as well as don't have to split the art with an inker. Art reps can also help coordinate the complete sale in one fell swoop. You should get a discount, and if you don't, then ask the artist or rep to break down the prices per page, then you can negotiate from there figuring out if you want a few key pages you like or want them all. It's easier to negotiate from that point and start reducing the lot by not opting to buy the lackluster pages which in truth should or could be thrown in sort of for free with the purchase of the key pages at a reasonable full asking price.

There is prestige in owning a book, but unless it's a key book by a great artist or a 1st appearance issue, it's sometimes not a wise buy. Not many sell full books as investments, and the best return is to break them apart, leaving the lackluster pages in the less desired realm. So, buy or put a book together for passion, not as an investment knowing it's not necessarily a smart decision economically most of the time.

Oddly, would say the exact same thing about being discreet if not secretive with a recent poll on the msg boards regarding how much you've spend and what you value your collection to be at... nothing to gain, lots to lose by participating volunteering accurate information.

Often times there are Frenemies in the community that tries to tout unity in the community with camaraderie. So, watch your back and always ask yourself the question... 'What Do I Have to Gain? Versus What Do I Have To Lose?" by disclosing any information.

It is very sound advice by Comix4Fun in that you have nothing to gain and everything to lose by making public your pursuits.

Nothing to gain?

I gained 8 pages of a much loved (1965) storyline by making it known public my pursuit.

Lost out on 1 page due to an excessively greedy type trying to gouge me.

If I hadn't made public what I was looking for, I'd be down 8 pages on my selection.

Not everyone out there is conspiring against you . . .

If we didn't have a little faith in the good side of human nature, why have something like Gene's, 'The Official "Does Anybody Know Where This Art Is?" thread, where you're effectively declaring what you're actively pursuing . . .

I disagree. I have been trying to put two put two books back together, One is Uncanny X-Men #308 I have all but 3 pages which I think Al Vey still owns as he helped Dan Green ink the book. The other is Fantastic Four #286, which has been publicly known for years. I have had alot of help in tracking down and acquiring the page. Two years ago I got one of the best pages from the story with the help of a fellow collector (who wasn't the owner). I have found letting people know I am after pages from FF 286 has helped me more then hindered my efforts in getting art from the story.

I did complete one book X-Men #30, while I had all the page but three I eventually got the last 3 pages with the help of Spencer and Andy Kubert when Andy found them in a rusted out desk in the basement of the Kubert School and Spencer remembered I was trying to complete the issue.

The other side of the coin is where I didn't publicize a collecting goal and lost out big time.

I'm a huge fan of Harlan Ellison's Outer Limits teleplay, 'Demon With a Glass Hand' which, in the mid-1980s, was the basis of a DC Graphic Novel adapted by Marshall Rogers.

For a long, long time I'd been on the look out for OA pages but had never publically advertised the fact.

Another collector on these forums (Yoram Matzkin, I think) owned a big chunk of art from the book and consigned them to auction (which I totally overlooked and missed out on).

Had I publicized my interest on these forums, I like to think that Yoram would have reached out to me and we could have worked out a deal that would have been of mutual benefit (the auction result was a lot lower than what I would have been prepared to pay, had I been aware of it).

Another boardie, Felix Lu, consequently aware of my interest in the Marshall Rogers DWAGH art, helped me in my search for examples and subsequently released a number of examples to me from his own collection (he's also a fan).

So, all this helps restore my faith in human nature. There are good guys out there who will help you in your quest . . . as long as you make it known.

Thanks to Yoram for his feedback (at the time) and a big, big thanks to Felix for being a stand-up type of guy.

I have bought two complete books/stories one is recent a 7 page Creeper story by Dave Gibbons from Flash #318 which Dave still owned. The other is "How to Draw Comics The Marvel Way" which I bought complete (minus the published cover but I own a prelim to the cover which is good enough).

It is very sound advice by Comix4Fun in that you have nothing to gain and everything to lose by making public your pursuits.

Nothing to gain?

I gained 8 pages of a much loved (1965) storyline by making it known public my pursuit.

Lost out on 1 page due to an excessively greedy type trying to gouge me.

If I hadn't made public what I was looking for, I'd be down 8 pages on my selection.

Not everyone out there is conspiring against you . . .

Well, to be fair, you got pretty lucky to do so. And I don't think you have nothing to gain at all by doing it that way, I just think and know there's much risk to doing so. I didn't say that no one would be helpful or fair, but it doesn't take a lot to sabotage complete issue assemblage. And everyone doesn't have to be conspiring against you. Just one or two opportunists with low ethics and high levels of greed. In your case someone did just that on that one page.

I guess it depends on who you tell. We all have friends and a network of folks we trust in the hobby. Reaching out that way is safer than renting a billboard. lol

If people go public with wants they are better off, if looking for pages from a single issue, to camouflage the request in a larger run of issues. If they want all the pages from Spider-Man 328 for example, they'd be better off asking publicly for pages from 312-333 and taking the pages from 328 that pop up.

Getting too specific, too ardent, and too vocal in the pursuit of certain pages isn't going to get anyone across the finish line, unless they don't care how badly gouged they get.

I made that sort of mistake a decade ago when I posted my want list on caf for Bolland artwork. Getting offered pieces for triple market and "informstion leading to the whereabouts..." offered for a price. lol

It can go either way, Chris. In my case (by publicizing my interest) I gained 8 pages comfortably against 1 page being held to ransom my an @zzhole type. The maths works in my favour

Totally agree that there are sharks in the water who will try to exploit you.

Completing a book is probably a stretch, but a big chunk is better than nothing.