• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trying to collect a complete issue in this current market

44 posts in this topic

I have been trying to put Avengers #92 by Sal Buscema back together for a long time.

I will publicly announce that I am only two pages short of completing the issue.

You can see which pages I am missing by looking at my CAF tag below under wanted.

I would rather be held hostage and know where the pages are than never see them turn up.

If you know of the whereabouts of the two pages I would pay a small finders fee for a completed sale/trade. I would not be willing to be blackmailed...that's no fun.

Life is too short and I am not getting any younger lol.

Thanks!

Jay

P.S. i even have the original color guide of the cover since I know I will never own that.

I have been trying to put Avengers #92 by Sal Buscema back together for a long time.

I will publicly announce that I am only two pages short of completing the issue.

You can see which pages I am missing by looking at my CAF tag below under wanted.

I would rather be held hostage and know where the pages are than never see them turn up.

If you know of the whereabouts of the two pages I would pay a small finders fee for a completed sale/trade. I would not be willing to be blackmailed...that's no fun.

Life is too short and I am not getting any younger lol.

Thanks!

Jay

P.S. i even have the original color guide of the cover since I know I will never own that.

Good luck! I t would be great for that book to be reassembled!

And my favorite...does one announce what they are doing in hopes of getting a few "black hole" pieces to pop up? I know this runs the risk of driving the prices up on the completist collector, but does it hold the advantage of actually getting the page as opposed to never having it at all?

Never. Ever. EVER announce you're trying to complete a book. EVER!

For every person willing to help you out, help you find a page, or sell you their page at a reasonable price, I would wager there are at least 4-5 people who see it as an opportunity to either beat you to the punch and hold the piece hostage waiting for a ransom, or (more and more common in this hobby) find out where the page is and gate-keep the information until you agree to pay them a finder fee for the information....you know for the "service" and the "courtesy". :eyeroll:

The first rule of "Complete Issue Collecting Club" is "DON'T TALK ABOUT COMPLETE ISSUE COLLECTING CLUB!"

ehh depends on what is is doesn't it?

The more desirable the hero, issue and series I can see your point.

However, if it is a series,character and issue few care about then I would say go for it. If you are completing an issue of Archie from the 1980s then you should let people know. Sure you might have to pay $75 a page instead of $50 here or there but so what. It is better to have the pages than not.

People are free to try any and all strategies they think may help them get to their goal. I am just imparting that not everyone hears the call of a collector needing help in the same way. Some guys hear that call and it sounds exactly like a wounded gazelle sounds to a cheetah. lol

Well is the goal to complete the issue at the lowest possible price? If so yeah keep a lid on it. You may never find the pages but they wil be cheaper from time to time. People will contact you if they know you want it. You won't complete an issue if you don't know where the pages are,

On a side note is this what happened with amazing Spider-Man 328?

Did someone overpay just to keep it out of the hands of the one person who wanted it?

And my favorite...does one announce what they are doing in hopes of getting a few "black hole" pieces to pop up? I know this runs the risk of driving the prices up on the completist collector, but does it hold the advantage of actually getting the page as opposed to never having it at all?

Never. Ever. EVER announce you're trying to complete a book. EVER!

For every person willing to help you out, help you find a page, or sell you their page at a reasonable price, I would wager there are at least 4-5 people who see it as an opportunity to either beat you to the punch and hold the piece hostage waiting for a ransom, or (more and more common in this hobby) find out where the page is and gate-keep the information until you agree to pay them a finder fee for the information....you know for the "service" and the "courtesy". :eyeroll:

The first rule of "Complete Issue Collecting Club" is "DON'T TALK ABOUT COMPLETE ISSUE COLLECTING CLUB!"

ehh depends on what is is doesn't it?

The more desirable the hero, issue and series I can see your point.

However, if it is a series,character and issue few care about then I would say go for it. If you are completing an issue of Archie from the 1980s then you should let people know. Sure you might have to pay $75 a page instead of $50 here or there but so what. It is better to have the pages than not.

People are free to try any and all strategies they think may help them get to their goal. I am just imparting that not everyone hears the call of a collector needing help in the same way. Some guys hear that call and it sounds exactly like a wounded gazelle sounds to a cheetah. lol

Well is the goal to complete the issue at the lowest possible price? If so yeah keep a lid on it. You may never find the pages but they wil be cheaper from time to time. People will contact you if they know you want it. You won't complete an issue if you don't know where the pages are,

On a side note is this what happened with amazing Spider-Man 328?

Did someone overpay just to keep it out of the hands of the one person who wanted it?

Most people can't, free from all emotion, complete any and all art transactions. What I mean is, it's not about getting it at the lowest possible price. It's completing the issue free from the interference, opportunism and predatory actions of people that see this hobby as a way to line their own pockets through the exploitation of the wants and desires of collectors.

Everyone, at a certain point in their collecting life, either has or will have a story about how a bad experience in the acquisition of a piece left a bad taste in their mouth. An artist kept them waiting for years and then they had to threaten to sue to get it. A dealer didn't disclose some problem. Another "collector" or dealer made negotiations so contentious, difficult and insulting that they either walked away from the piece or can't bear to look at the piece in their own portfolio.

Is completing a book worth dealing with someone I find morally or ethically reprehensible? Is completing a book worth dealing with someone would acquire the piece themselves, knowing I am looking for it, just so they can attempt to extort some piece of art from my collection I don't want to part with or demand some price that no one in their right mind would pay? Is completing a book worth someone using my want and desire against me by gatekeeping information about its whereabouts until I agree to pay a ransom?

There are LOTS of ways to find artwork without taking out a billboard announcing it to saints and sinners alike. Finding a piece "by any means necessary" only works in theory. When placed in the scenario where you're dealing with a person who is using your desire against you, it may leave you wondering how you'll feel once the deal is done and, perhaps, souring the entire effort from start to finish.