• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Multi-Packs?

18 posts in this topic

I have a soft spot in my heart for Harvey comics (Richie Rich/Casper/Hot Stuff/Spooky) from the 1970s with what I like to call "action/adventure" covers by Warren Kremer (like the one below), as these were the comics that first caught my eye on the spinner rack as a little kid.

I recently bought a bunch off Ebay in those old plastic multi-comic packs (4 for 99 cents!) with the full intention of opening the packs and taking the books out to read.

My question is, does anyone actually prefer to leave the comics in these unopened, old multi-packs? They do look cool (I will probably save the bags), but the plastic has a soft, nasty feel to it and I'd hate to see what happens to any comics kept in there for another decade!

1436038-rr20.jpg

I collect 'em. :hi:

If you are looking to sell them, I might be interested in them only if they are still sealed in their multipacks.

Any chance you can post the condition of the bag to get a sense of what you mean by a "soft, nasty feel."

Not looking to sell them, I bought them to read.

I just noticed the bags seemed to have that look my old comic bags used to get where the plastic is wrinkled instead of smooth. And by nasty, I mean the plastic has that tacky feel where the bags stick to each other.

I might just be being paranoid, but it feels to me like the plastic is breaking down and that can't be good for the comics still inside, can it?

Here's an example:

s-l1600.jpg

I also like these multi packs. I have picked up a dozen or so over the years from ebay monster seller Blissard including 1 pack with a 45 record included as well.

I am not particularly worried about the further damage that might have happen to the books, I would rather have the integrity of the package remain intact.

a decade or so ago i bought maybe 30 mutlipacks of Classics Illustrated along with a stand from a seller who had bought out the Classics library when they went out of business. These multi packs are not sealed, so it would be easy to switch contents. They seem to have aged better than the packs from Blissard.

classicsdisplay_zps86bba782.jpg

Personally, I always felt that part of the fun was opening them up to see what was inside, read em', trade em'...whether during my childhood or later as a collector. Save the outer bag, sure but I've always felt that comics were meant to be enjoyed. Crack em' open and relive your childhood. It's not often that we get to do that later in life.

It was a purchase of File Copy from Geppi's catalog about 30 years ago. :D The #2 was 5-6 yrs later. Wish I had had more $ at either time. :sorry: I would have bought much, much more.

I also like these multi packs. I have picked up a dozen or so over the years from ebay monster seller Blissard including 1 pack with a 45 record included as well.

I am not particularly worried about the further damage that might have happen to the books, I would rather have the integrity of the package remain intact.

a decade or so ago i bought maybe 30 mutlipacks of Classics Illustrated along with a stand from a seller who had bought out the Classics library when they went out of business. These multi packs are not sealed, so it would be easy to switch contents. They seem to have aged better than the packs from Blissard.

Small world, the multi-packs I grabbed on Ebay were also from Blissard! He must have a hoard of them...

My memory is hazy...... but I remember snagging a DD 15 in a 3 for a quarter bagged set in the 60's...... and a DD 23 as well....... this was in the Raleigh Durham area of N.C.........I'm told that distribution of these things varied regionally, Moondog, I think it was, supplied some very interesting info several years back...... in the infamous "go pound sand" thread... GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend o0f jesus) (thumbs u

I remember buying a DC silver age 4 pack off eBay around 15 years ago. It had a Detective 359 in it (the reason I bought it) along with an Action, Superboy and a Jimmy Olsen. I was hoping the Detective would grade at least a 9.4 since I paid quite a bit for the 4-pack. I sent the books in to CGC. The 2 inside books(Superboy and Jimmy Olsen) came back 9.4. The Action (was on the back) graded 9.2 and the Detective (on the front) came back a 9.0. Needless to say I was very disappointed. I wasn't sure I'd even make my money back. I believe at the time Detective 359 was listed for around $250 in 9.2 in Overstreet. I put the Detective up on eBay and it ended up going for around $1100. I was very surprised, but also grateful.

My memory is hazy...... but I remember snagging a DD 15 in a 3 for a quarter bagged set in the 60's...... and a DD 23 as well....... this was in the Raleigh Durham area of N.C.........I'm told that distribution of these things varied regionally, Moondog, I think it was, supplied some very interesting info several years back...... in the infamous "go pound sand" thread... GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend o0f jesus) (thumbs u

I'm not sure the "affidavit returns" have anything to do with the distrbution of multipacks. Jim Shooters blog post is probably the most interesting I've read online about the way the system evolved, and I've certainly heard varying iterations of how product moved, with the most storied being the MH2 find. If it's the same thread I'm thinking, I believe the find Moondog referred to was an eBay auction of half a dozen or so boxes of comics from 1965, which continued on the banter of "warehouse find" books like ASM 28 and FF 48.

I will say that some Marvel multi-mag bags did proliferate as "proofs" or "unused" stock over the years.I first heard about them through Doug Sulipa who warned me they were floating around. Over the years I've kept my eyes open on certain combinations of 3/4 pack bags being sold on eBay and there's a few steps I follow to make sure the books inside are the correct ones sorted for that combination of comics packaged.