• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just got my art colored … the thread!

12 posts in this topic

I thought it would be nice to have a thread for color art specifically. Not for a commission that was done that included color. Rather, for color work after the fact. Did you have Laura Martin color something at a con? Post it here. Did you have someone lay down some digital colors over your commission? Post it here. Include credit info for the colorist so that others may reach out to them if they want to get something colored. I didn’t see a thread for something like this so I am starting one. If there is already a thread I will delete.

First up: Paul Downey added inks over this Alan Davis/Mark Farmer commission. His web site is below:

http://statman71.deviantart.com/

hulk-by-davis-and-farmer-and-downeysmall.jpg

Former Marvel colorist Evelyn Stein is watercoloring a couple GOTG commissions for me (she was the colorist on that series). She did some prelims that I'm digging. If anyone needs her contact info for a job PM me.

My wife and I bid on a Patrick McDonnell Mutts specialty piece at the Team Cul de Sac Drink and Draw at Heroes Con a few years ago. It was a very nice pen and ink drawing.

We were quite surprised when we won. Upon reflection, we thought it might look better if it were colored. As it happened Laura Martin was at the show and she was quite excited to do the coloring.

It's spectacular.

A blurry picture of the original - wish I'd thought to take a good picture

McDonnell,%20Patrick%20(pen%20and%20ink)%20-%20Mutts%20Pen%20&%20Ink%20Original.JPG

The final piece

McDonnell,%20Patrick%20(pen%20and%20ink)%20and%20Laura%20Martin%20(color)%201200dpi%20-%20Mutts.jpg

Here are some of mine.

A Joe Rubinstein commission I digitally colored myself. This was circa 2012 and I have since sold this commission:

Batman-Rubinstein-2012-Colored_zpstxz6kdfq.jpg

Here is another I colored myself - Marvel Super Villain Team Up 14 re-imagination by John Byrne. I decided to color it the vintage style and added a CGC dressing:

Byrne%20John%20-%20Marvel%20Super%20Villain%20Team-Up%2014%20Colored_zpsxftffa01.jpg

Finally, here is the original inspiration to my coloring style - the one by Gerry Turnbull in the middle, and to the right is by Christian Sabarre with some slight changes by me:

Byrne%20John%20-%20MTU62%20Colored_zpsxjbomixy.jpg

Both Byrne commissions I still own because I specifically commissioned them since they reimagine issues Byrne worked on which has my birthdate as cover date.

I have more examples which I will post when I have the time to upload.

Like many of you, I get a lot of convention sketch quickies that are nice to get, but often lack the oomph. I've been thinking of having a few of them colored, but I've never been able to find the right color artist, thinking more along the lines of local artists than industry professionals, to keep costs down. I met a local freelancer named Gaz Gretzky, and after a sketch and several conversations about his work, I decided to have him color this Ron Lim-Galactus. I think the result is amazing. He went above and beyond my expectations.

Here's the CAF link with before and after pictures.

Coloring my more simpler sketches is certainly something I'll do more often.