• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let me see your collections!

155 posts in this topic

If you ever have a moment of insanity and want to sell that Pep #27, I'm your man!

Once I've finished the Pep run and am selling it off to finance my next insanity, I'll make you a package deal on the 20 and 27 laugh.gif

This picture was taken about 6 months ago and at the time was every CGC book in my collection. Since then I've added a couple of slabs so I guess I'll need to take a new picture at some point. Sorry for the poor quality frown.gif

archiepix092004001.jpg

Wonderful picture of those sweet books!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I'm thinking there's 3 that don't really belong (Georgie, Junior, Teen). Nudge, nudge, hint, hint!

If you ever have a moment of insanity and want to sell that Pep #27, I'm your man!

Once I've finished the Pep run and am selling it off to finance my next insanity, I'll make you a package deal on the 20 and 27 laugh.gif

It's a deal! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

anyone have a place to suggest that might have pictures of a custom cabinet? have some free time this weekend, and my uncle manages a hardwood distributor. :P

I'll see if I can dig up my pictures when I get home. I have two 4' x 8' x 20" oak cabinets I built a year ago. They will each hold 24 magazine boxes. They were a real pain in the butt to build but they look fantastic. Cost me a/b $1,000 total.

anyone have a place to suggest that might have pictures of a custom cabinet? have some free time this weekend, and my uncle manages a hardwood distributor. :P

I'll see if I can dig up my pictures when I get home. I have two 4' x 8' x 20" oak cabinets I built a year ago. They will each hold 24 magazine boxes. They were a real pain in the butt to build but they look fantastic. Cost me a/b $1,000 total.

Yeah i want to see them. Dig 'em up!

Plans available? I've been contemplating built-in shelving in my home office and have some free labor visiting next weekend... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Plans available? I've been contemplating built-in shelving in my home office and have some free labor visiting next weekend... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Oh, it will take more than a weekend. In total it took me and my grandfather (a true craftsman) a/b 100 man hours. There are so many damned pieces to sand, stain and finish. The drying time alone on that stuff totaled out to over a week.

Just off the top of my head here's what I used -- 6 sheets of 4 x 8 x 3/4 plywood, 2 sheet of 4 x 8 x 1/4, a/b 100 feet of 1 x 4, 24 feet of molding, 250 feet of metal shelf strips, 2 gallons of stain, 3 gallons of finish. And I had 8 doors custom made -- that was cheaper than doing them myself.

It was quite an experience. I'll see if I can dig up the plans.

Oh, it will take more than a weekend. In total it took me and my grandfather (a true craftsman) a/b 100 man hours. There are so many damned pieces to sand, stain and finish. The drying time alone on that stuff totaled out to over a week.

Just off the top of my head here's what I used -- 6 sheets of 4 x 8 x 3/4 plywood, 2 sheet of 4 x 8 x 1/4, a/b 100 feet of 1 x 4, 24 feet of molding, 250 feet of metal shelf strips, 2 gallons of stain, 3 gallons of finish. And I had 8 doors custom made -- that was cheaper than doing them myself.

It was quite an experience. I'll see if I can dig up the plans.

Sounds awesome! thumbsup2.gif

My intentions are strictly for built-in shelving so they're not as elaborate as what you put together, although to make the wifey happy I may have to put together some cabinets w/doors on the bottom. I would prefer straight shelves personally, with a border shelf along the entire top edge of the room for my Hulk figures, toys, beer steins, sports memorabilia, and other various accumulations of knick-knacks and souvenirs I've picked up over the years.

Sweet cool.gif

789117-Bookshelf2.jpg

My favorite stuff...nice Sandman collection. (And that's a leatherbound Watchmen next to the paper bound...?)

And why is there a copy of Grey's Anatomy? confused.gif

A few things.. I remember when you posted your shelving story.. VERY cool to be able to work with your grandpa..and the project turned out really nice.

But my question is in regards to wood and comics. stains and comics..offgassing and comics.Pedigreeman posted links to Tracey Hefts articles on all sort of topics.. one of them was.. Wood and storage

In that article he talked about the harmful effects of wood and varnish on comics..here is the part that caught my eye..

Take for example wood, which is often found in contact with

valuable or collectible comic books either in the form of

shelving or as a container in which comics are stored (among the

more common types in use are plywood, cedar, pine and/or oak).

Regardless of which type of wood is used, it is known that all

types of wood emit vapours and other by-products that can form

organic acids. As can be expected, the compounds released into

the storage area in turn react with the chemicals contained in

the paper initiating a process which results in the degradation

of the collectible. I will concede that some wood types are

better than others but no wood is perfect.

Even if the wood has been sealed with a polyurethane varnish

or painted in order to protect the comics from harmful emissions,

generally speaking, products designed to protect and seal wood

also release harmful vapours which eventually result in the

formation of organic acids

Now mind you.. I store my comics(as do most here I assume) in a closet, or room of some kind.. made from wood.. painted with an oil based paint.. and even have made a few wooden storage boxes myself to keep my nicer comics safe. So I am not bashing your shelving idea.. but rather asking if it is really all that big a deal if wood off gases?.. I mean our comics are not raw sitting in there.. they are in most scenarios either in CGC slabs.. or Bag/Board Mylar combos.. INSIDE cardboard boxes.

How long does it take for the wood material to offgas?... I imagine the varnish, stain , or paint would be more apt to create a harmful fume enviroment much faster then just plain wood?

I dunno.. it IS something to consider if you are starting to build a storage shelving room from scratch.. to try and use the most inert materials you can buy. Compressed boards are said to be safer.. but are they not held together with glue..? Is that really any safer then real wood?

Cedar seems to have kept many a comic bone white, for many years.

If we did a test of 2 stacks of 25 comics placed in the same room..one stack was loose..raw.. the other stored as mentioned above bag/board mylar,longbox.. after 5 years would the difference in quality be that noticable if humidity was not a factor?

Exactly how much damage can offgassing create in a worst case scenario?

Oh well.. just thought it was pertinent to your discussion about shelves.

Kenny

ahh cool, i have 4 people there to help, so it shouldn't take too long, we will be at the distributor place, so we have everything to work with, even one of those computer driven cutting machines, so we can set it up for whatever sizes we need in advance, and work on other parts, should be able to do it within a couple weekends :P

So I am not bashing your shelving idea.. but rather asking if it is really all that big a deal if wood off gases?.. I mean our comics are not raw sitting in there.. they are in most scenarios either in CGC slabs.. or Bag/Board Mylar combos.. INSIDE cardboard boxes.

How long does it take for the wood material to offgas?... I imagine the varnish, stain , or paint would be more apt to create a harmful fume enviroment much faster then just plain wood?

I dunno.. it IS something to consider if you are starting to build a storage shelving room from scratch.. to try and use the most inert materials you can buy. Compressed boards are said to be safer.. but are they not held together with glue..? Is that really any safer then real wood?

calling Burntboy...will Burntboy please report to the "Let me see your collections!" thread.

as an aside, i've had books left in a plain wooden chest of drawers, unbagged for years with no ill effects. of course these were LG copper age to begin with, but remember where they found the Church collection IIRC when you start worrying about wood offgassing and other esoteria

If we did a test of 2 stacks of 25 comics placed in the same room..one stack was loose..raw.. the other stored as mentioned above bag/board mylar,longbox.. after 5 years would the difference in quality be that noticable if humidity was not a factor?

Kenny

Good questions. Since I'm not a conservator I have no clue. I do, however, find it odd that cedar is a really good place to store books but other woods are not. One of my first "finds" was stored raw in a cedar chest for 15-20 years. All of those books still look great (aside note: It's really cool to be going back thru some old boxes and find the occasional book that smells like cedar and mothballs -- ahhhhh).

Honestly, I'm not really concerned. I seriously doubt that there would be any noticable difference between books stored in a wooden cabinet (sealed in mylar and in acid free boxes) than ones left out in the open (sealed in mylar and in acid free boxes).

I agree.

While I understand it is wise to take every precaution you can when storing your books. I always thought it was overkill to worry about them being stored in a wood box (of any kind), or shelving, or dresser drawer, or closet for that matter.

Humidity seems to be a far worse enemy to worry about.

And besides.. dont the comics do themselves the most harm from the inside out anyways? The old mantra " our comics are burning" comes to mind.

I actually looked into pricing Cedar to build my box..but man.. it was pricey.. and hard to get in large pieces as well (at least from two of our local lumberyards)

So I went with Poplar.

Ze-

Sweet cool.gif

789117-Bookshelf2.jpg

My favorite stuff...nice Sandman collection. (And that's a leatherbound Watchmen next to the paper bound...?)

And why is there a copy of Grey's Anatomy? confused.gif

Thanks Mithril! Took me a LONG time to find all of the 1st print Sandman HCs, with Doll's House being the toughest.

Yep, that's the Watchmen Slipcase HC next to the regular Watchmen HC. I had it signed by Dave Gibbons a few years ago in SD.

Grey's Anatomy helps me figure out how to dissect the bodies blush.gif

It's actually for reference, as I am occasionally an artist.

Kenny

Good questions. Since I'm not a conservator I have no clue. I do, however, find it odd that cedar is a really good place to store books but other woods are not. One of my first "finds" was stored raw in a cedar chest for 15-20 years. All of those books still look great (aside note: It's really cool to be going back thru some old boxes and find the occasional book that smells like cedar and mothballs -- ahhhhh).

Honestly, I'm not really concerned. I seriously doubt that there would be any noticable difference between books stored in a wooden cabinet (sealed in mylar and in acid free boxes) than ones left out in the open (sealed in mylar and in acid free boxes).

Thanks for answering my unasked question about cedar. I just inherited a larger cedar chest from my grandma and was thinking of storing some books in there. thumbsup2.gif