• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Artist swipes : examples ?

34 posts in this topic

On the topic of swipes, how would it affect your feelings about a piece you owned if you found out the artist had swiped it? No affect or would you be soured on it and want to get rid of it? And would it make a difference if it was a photo reference or another artists work?

On the topic of swipes, how would it affect your feelings about a piece you owned if you found out the artist had swiped it? No affect or would you be soured on it and want to get rid of it? And would it make a difference if it was a photo reference or another artists work?

I own the OA for the cover of Sojourn 22 by Greg Land. After I purchased it I can across this (see first image):

http://jimsmash.blogspot.ca/2008/06/more-greg-land-tracing.html

I still have the piece and am glad it's in my collection as I really liked the series. It is production art after all and these guys are trying to make a living. The more time they can save the better for them.

Mike

It is production art after all and these guys are trying to make a living. The more time they can save the better for them.

I can sort of agree with the above in regards to photo references but there's no excuse for swiping from another artist. (Though I'm sure the photographer in question may beg to differ and legally copying a photo is copyright infringement, isn't it?) personally, if I discovered a piece was based on a photo I'd keep it but if it was swiped from another artist it would definitely sour the piece for me.

This has been my go to swipe:

Bill Sienkiewicz looks to be influenced by C Coles Phillips and his "Fade-Away Girl"

92ab48d9275eeab0f80856aeba8af651.jpg

orange.jpg

Not much of a swipe but an homage.......wait a sec...

44.jpg

Here's C Coles Phillips again for the "Win"!!!!

Round Two! This time we look a the highly regarded Bernie Wrightson .....

f3ce914fd76d993e66a613a6fdba6082.jpg

Now we can see that he was HEAVILY influenced by this J C Halden illustration. While not a direct trace swipe, the composition, lighting and elements from the central building are still there...

laval-france-house-franklin-booth.jpg

Round Two! This time we look a the highly regarded Bernie Wrightson .....

f3ce914fd76d993e66a613a6fdba6082.jpg

Now we can see that he was HEAVILY influenced by this J C Halden illustration. While not a direct trace swipe, the composition, lighting and elements from the central building are still there...

laval-france-house-franklin-booth.jpg

Wow, that's pretty blatant.