• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Double Action 1....finally found!

63 posts in this topic

The interior comic is technically incomplete. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Understood but if that is the way it was originally constructed, it shouldn't matter I would think.

Aren't other ashcans made up in a similar way? We need Moondog to chime in here with some clarity. :wishluck:

Understood but if that is the way it was originally constructed, it shouldn't matter I would think.

Aren't other ashcans made up in a similar way? We need Moondog to chime in here with some clarity. :wishluck:

The Superman 1 ashcan graded 9.0 had only a partial interior from Action 8....so there wouldn't be a reason to give a NG here.

Any guesses on what it will hammer out at?

Along with that incredible 9.2 DA 2? No idea. There's a limited pool of ashcan collectors but the sky's the limit if you get two or more deep pocket guys gunning for it!

The Superman 1 ashcan graded 9.0 had only a partial interior from Action 8....so there wouldn't be a reason to give a NG here.

The only explanation is that they've tightened the criteria..... but I confess my curiosity as well. What a cool, legendary book. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u(thumbs u

The only explanation is that they've tightened the criteria..... but I confess my curiosity as well. What a cool, legendary book. GOD BLESS...

Tomorrow I'll ask at the Metro booth at NYCC to see if they have an explanation. If they can't explain it, I'll ask at the CGC booth. If they can't explain it, I'll pretend they did and make something up.

Tomorrow I'll ask at the Metro booth at NYCC to see if they have an explanation. If they can't explain it, I'll ask at the CGC booth. If they can't explain it, I'll pretend they did and make something up.

I saw the book in Chicago and asked Rob and Frank about it (Vinnie was not in the booth at the time). They had no idea about the NG designation. I texted Vinnie today after seeing the listing last night and he said the consignor had it graded so he's not sure why either. I have a text into Matt to see why. I also asked Vinnie about the provenance and he said he'd ask the consignor.

All I can say is this is pretty cool. :cloud9:

I'd love to know the providence of that copy.

Is that the Queen's English for 'provenance?'

Either way, a tremendous piece of history. Action #15 coverless :foryou: guts came out same month as Superman #1, All-American #5, Adventure #41, Detective Comics # 30.

This is really big news and finally dispels some of the falsehoods surrounding this book. It proves that the hooded figure cover below is most likely a fake, and since the contents of Double Action 1 is just the 9th to 16th wraps of Action 15, that eliminates the Superman and Zatara stories altogether and just includes the Marco Polo, Clip Carson and perhaps Tex Thomson stories which constitutes an incomplete book so the NG designation appears valid. This discovery also seems to indicate that Double Action 2 was indeed on the newsstands if only in limited areas, and not a Xmas present to staff as others have suggested in the past.

double%20action%201_zpsabdazaw7.jpg

Just because an ashcan is a cover around a partial interior of another comic does not mean that the ashcan is "incomplete." If an ashcan was intentionally created from just a part of another comic then it would still be a "complete ashcan."

Just because an ashcan is a cover around a partial interior of another comic does not mean that the ashcan is "incomplete." If an ashcan was intentionally created from just a part of another comic then it would still be a "complete ashcan."

Agree completely. (thumbs u

The wheels are in motion...

Bit strange that Double Action #1 b/w :luhv: ashcan used the front cover from Adventure #41 (shark cover) while the color Double Action #2 used an earlier Adventure #37 (rhino cover) ?

Looks to me that #2 with the Adventure 37 cover looks to have been first than the #1 with the Adventure 41 cover was printed 2nd (shrug) I cant see why the #1 has a later number cover swipe?

The wheels are in motion...

Bit strange that Double Action #1 b/w :luhv: ashcan used the front cover from Adventure #41 (shark cover) while the color Double Action #2 used an earlier Adventure #37 (rhino cover) ?

Looks to me that #2 with the Adventure 37 cover looks to have been first than the #1 with the Adventure 41 cover was printed 2nd (shrug) I cant see why the #1 has a later number cover swipe?

DC, like most publishers, had small offices and just enough organization and filing structure to put out the cheapest and most disposable periodicals for children. It's not really a surprise that they would take whatever they found quickly to create an ashcan as they clearly cared little that the cover match the title or contents. The importance of the ashcan was that it be produced quickly to secure the trademark.

Let me clarify what I said. I know an ashcan can get a 9.0 although it's got a married interior from an unrelated book because it's intentionally constructed as such. The Double Action seems a little different. It's not black and white interior pages (at least it's not noted as such on the NG label), but more importantly, Overstreet 10 describes another Double Action 1 as saddle stitched and only missing the first and last page of a coverless comic. The new discovery is missing many more pages. I can see the difficulty in judging such books, especially if there are examples that are different.

Let me clarify what I said. I know an ashcan can get a 9.0 although it's got a married interior from an unrelated book because it's intentionally constructed as such. The Double Action seems a little different. It's not black and white interior pages (at least it's not noted as such on the NG label), but more importantly, Overstreet 10 describes another Double Action 1 as saddle stitched and only missing the first and last page of a coverless comic. The new discovery is missing many more pages. I can see the difficulty in judging such books, especially if there are examples that are different.

If I understand this now, it sounds like CGC cannot 100% accurately authenticate this book therefore the NG designation. The slab is just protection.