• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interesting auction..1st spectre,robin,WW....

9 posts in this topic

MORE FUN 52 - 1ST APPEARANCE OF THE SPECTRE -- CGC 7.5 / UNRESTORED

The pictures do not do this book justice - Many thought this would be a cgc 8 or a 8.5 !!!

MORE FUN 53 - 2ND APPEARANCE OF THE SPECTRE - CGC 5.5 /

Again the Mile high copies are the best graded. The next best is 8.0 and 1.8. All other copies are restored. My copy is the 2nd best. This can be purchased while the others are not for sale. Why was this only a CGC 5.5.

The purpose of CGC is to provide some assurance that comics are accurately graded. Why does everyone always play the "it should have graded higher" game. I'm still waiting to see a comic for sale that says CGC graded it an 8.5 but I think it's only a 7.0 at best.

The purpose of CGC is to provide some assurance that comics are accurately graded. Why does everyone always play the "it should have graded higher" game. I'm still waiting to see a comic for sale that says CGC graded it an 8.5 but I think it's only a 7.0 at best.

I actually do this sort of thing fairly frequently, particularly in person-to-person sales. Particularly with golden age books, I tend to look at CGC grading as a grade-range guide more than I see it as an absolute truth (though I do have nearly infallible faith in their resto check). I'd just rather have the person be happier with the book then expect something and be disappointed later. Not to toot my own horn. smirk.gif

Mark Wilson did this with a Supes #11 the first year CGC was slabbing books. The book received a 7.5, but Mark thought some water damage on the bottom of the book brought it down to 6.5, and priced it accordingly.

I agree with the "grade range" perspective since grading is so subjective and so many variables come into play. Of course, "puffing" is just a part of marketing an item but I still get a kick out of the hyping that goes on.

It's nice to know though that some sellers do acknowledge both positive and negative grade variances.