• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1:10, 1:25, 1:50, 1:100 are DISTRIBUTION numbers, not PRINT RUN numbers.

301 posts in this topic

Case in point, and as requested by RMA.....

Here is what just four knowlegeable boardies and Diamond account holders have had to say about variant print runs, printing standards in genral , and publishers' printing to the nearest case pack. There are many, many more examples , but these contain the posts that best and most concisely make the relevant points. A greatest hits, if you will:

From Chuck Gower , regarding Marvel's "PR stance" related to printing incentives close to orders , up to the nearest case pack (he goes in to greater detail over a couple of pages , but later seems to imply that he doesn't really believe Marvel (or Diamond). I suppose that's where I originally got the idea that some believe in a "vast publisher conspiracy" when it comes to ratio variants lol ):

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9137981&fpart=6

I just read through the entire thread and never once did Chuck Gower say Marvel prints to the nearest case. what he did say was:

And once again, let's be clear: MARVEL's PR stance is that they are printing close to the incentive amount. No one else can actually verify this, including Diamond.

Marvel, of course, NEEDS to have this believed, as the perception of rarity for these things is necessary to make retailers increase their orders, and for the customers to continue to buy them at a premium price, so that the cycle continues.

Unfortunately for them, their actions continue to show that they HAVE NOT at times followed this. And we have no idea at how many times they haven't followed it, as we have no idea how many times they actually HAVE followed it.

All we know FOR SURE, is that there are a couple of instances where they haven't:

2013 across the board for all variants, an overflow that they made available to Diamond to see, well after the relate date.

And last year with their two biggest incentive variant sellers.

Nothing about cases whatsoever. But evidence that Marvel has a PR stance they don't follow.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to read through all the other threads.

Interesting discussion.

Then you didn't read closely enough:

They recently have come under criticism for Star Wars Variants and Action Figure Variants that have suddenly appeared directly from them, much after the fact. This mysterious additional glut of product has led to them to take a hard line PR stance that variants are printed to order and rounded up to the case pack size.

And in my research, if you've ever wondered who actually reads these forums, let me just say: I love Marvel Comics! I love DC Comics! I love Image Comics! I love Valiant Comics! I love Diamond Distribution!

I don't care HOW you guys do your variants, I just want to sell as much at the retail level as I possibly can!

But, yeah, they're probably just lying. :eyeroll:

-J.

Chuck clearly says that it is a PR stance after Marvel was exposed for doing the very thing you're claiming they don't do, in the very recent past...which is "overprint just for the heck of it."

He didn't say "yes, this is documentation that proves Marvel prints to the "case pack."

He said it was what they CLAIMED.

Yes, they probably are just lying. You DO KNOW what "PR" means, right...?

What we do know is that publishers base print runs on a number of factors, but we do not know exactly what the final number is. They do not want to grossly overprint because that is wasted money, but they do somewhat over print to account for spoilage, etc. Some things that come into account are...

What does that mean, "grossly overprint", as it relates to specific issues...?

Yes, no one wants to "grossly overprint", but what does that mean, when we have no idea how many they print, and why?

Is it "grossly overprinting" if they only need 437 copies to fulfill orders, but they print 2000 copies? If that's what they decided, by definition, they didn't "grossly overprint"...they printed exactly what they wanted to print, which is always the case.

These aren't regular books we're discussing, after all.

Also notice who started the thread with facts, which you don't understand, then go on your own tirade of what is fact.

And here we are.

Glad to see someone keeping track of my strikes. I cannot be bothered since button pushers are boring

Actually the majority of his first post is his opinion. Especially the second half where he says people "can't" or "shouldn't" estimate whatever the hell they want to estimate however the hell they want to do it. All that is his opinion. This thread is his forum for expressing it. He was free to start it for that purpose.

No need to rehash all that though.

And I am sorry to hear about your employment situation. Hope things turn around soon.

Go Canucks.

-J.

You get really upset at the idea that anyone can "tell you what to do", don't you...? Anyone tries to say anything you *think* is telling you what to do, you get upset and start typing "opinion, opinion, OPINNNNIONNNN!!!"

Regardless, that's not what I said. I said they shouldn't IF they want to make educated, reasonable guesses.

If people want to estimate the incentive variants based on the wrinkles in Stan Lee's face, they're free to do so, but it's no more accurate than using the ratios and Comichron, and it won't (and shouldn't) be taken seriously.

From paul747, in a PM to me regarding publishers printing to the nearest case pack (obviously pertaining to the ASM 667 Dell'otto. He later got back to me with even more specific info on that book, which he asked me not to share publicly , so I won't.) :

Thanks Jay ! happy holidays . As for those AMS variants I like them but never studied them. I think you are more of an expert on those. I do know that the recalled comics site does make some mistakes and marvel will always print an even case number no matter what. so if they needed 400 variants to cover there initial orders they would order probably 3 cases of 200/250 depending

here is the solicit for that book:

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #667 DELLOTO VAR SPI

MARVEL COMICS

Written by DAN SLOTT

Pencils by HUMBERTO RAMOS

Variant Cover by GABRIELE DELL'OTTO

THE SPIDER-MAN EVENT OF THE DECADE BEGINS!

Start Webbing The News! New York City's Infestation is complete and eight million people are plagued! As someone near to Peter Parker's life reveals their spider-abilities, the brilliantly fearsome Jackal rises from the past and begins organizing an army of Spider-powered soldiers. Spider-Man isn't the only hero affected as the threat goon grows bigger than any one Fantastically Friendly Neighborhood Avenger can handle. Best-selling Spidey creators Dan Slott and Humberto Ramos spin a Spider-epic that turns Peter Parker's BIG TIME into a BIG MESS. Bad romance, death-defying violence and one man facing his FINAL fearsome destiny... this one's got it all! Simply put, pal....YOU NEED THIS!

32 PGS./Rated A ...$3.99

Product Update (7/18/2011): Now carries a Marvel T rating (appropriate for ages 9 & up)

Item Code

Stock Status MAY118321

Stock #

STK450884

UPC

Discount Code

D

DCD P.O. Minimum

Price Before Discount

$3.99

PREVIEWS Consumer Price

$3.99

Category Code

Genre Code

SH

Brand Code

SM

Item Status

Stock Status Out of Stock; no B/O

FOC/OIC Date

7/18/2011

Est Ship Date

8/10/2011

Date Shipped

8/10/2011

Pages

Color

FC

Series Frequency

M

Case Dimension

0.07(h)x10.2(d)x6.6(w)

Case Pack

Warning (NOTE: YOU MAY ORDER 1 VARIANT FOR EVERY 100 REGULAR YOU PURCHASE.) - wsteph

and here is the regular copy solicit:

Item Status

FOC/OIC Date

7/18/2011

Est Ship Date

8/10/2011

Date Shipped

8/10/2011

Pages

Color

FC

Series Frequency

M

Case Dimension

7(h)x14(d)x10.8(w)

Case Pack

As you can see the case pack for the variant is going to be the same 225 per case. if you knew the initial order number we could come close on the 1:100 variant printing number

the CC print number is :6 Amazing Spider-Man 667 $3.99 Marvel 71,235

I would estimate to say that they ordered at the least 225 variants and no more that 450 for this book. the initial ordering would have been a known number. i would estimate that only 20 percent of the initial order where stores that ordered 100 copies. they will always order the case minimum. it is very possible jay that this book only had 225 variants. but it could be 450 .. mHO !

You're going to have to decipher that, because it doesn't say anything about the "case pack for the variant is going to be the same 225 per case."

Paul also says they will "print an even case number no matter what", but Paul doesn't work for Marvel's circulation dept. does he? And Paul says these are his estimates, but what are they based on? I notice he ALSO brings up the Comichron SALES number and IN ERROR calls it the "print number."

That IS NOT CORRECT. That number is NOT A PRINT NUMBER.

How many times does this need to be said...? 100? 500? 10,000?

How many times before people get it through their heads that Comichron DOES NOT REPORT PRINT RUNS, but SALES FIGURES for all comics distributed through Diamond....?

So, if Paul ERRONEOUSLY calls Comichron's number for ASM #667 a "print number"...what else has he gotten wrong...? Paul is making the same error you and countless others who don't know what they're doing are: you think you can apply the ORDERING ratio to the SALES figures to come up with a PRINT run!

That's not how it works.

And look at the "WARNING"..."You may order 1 variant for every 100 regular you purchase." Why does the variant solicitation say "case pack" followed by "1" right below it...?

Here's some info for you, Jay: citing other people's opinions isn't documentation. It isn't proof. It's just other people's opinions. And just because other people say the same thing as you doesn't mean it's proven. Citing other people's "estimates" is not proof.

10,000 people could agree with you, and just because 10,000 people agree with you doesn't mean it's been proven. You need PROOF for that.

All of this is supported by my own independent research , including just chatting up a couple of local lcs owners. This is the difference between someone stating their own "opinion" and making "assumptions" to support a preconceived and obviously prejudiced conclusion, and actually fact gathering and paying attention to what other knowledgeable boardies repeatedly state.

Facts. :cloud9:

It's been fun gents. (thumbs u

-J.

Yes. The difference is: nothing.

Because here's another cold, hard, disillusioning FACT for you: "what other knowledgeable boardies repeatedly state" IS...NOT...PROOF. That's not "fact gathering" at all. It's "opinion gathering."

PROOF. IS. PROOF.

On the record, documented, by sources that KNOW, not sources that GUESS.

See how that works...?

Because, you know what people are trying to support when they use words like "knowledgable" and other weasel words...?

That's right: their opinion.

I don't need "knowledgeable boardies" to come along and agree with me that 2 + 2 = 4, because that's a fact, established by the definitions of those terms.

But when you need to conjure up "knowledgeable boardies" to support what you're saying...it's because what you're saying is just opinion.

"preconceived and obviously prejudiced conclusion"...Jay, is it possible...I mean, like, at ALL...for you to disagree with someone without making leading comments like this...? Other people aren't sitting here and repeating ad nauseum that you have some sort of hidden agenda in every post.

Do you know what a "leading comment" is...? (not a trick question, I'm asking if you know.)

In any event, it's really tiresome, and I do so much wish you'd cut it out.

And while you're at it, would you PLEASE stop saying things like "this is my last post on the subject" or "this is my last post in this thread" or anything like that, followed by 27 more posts by you....?

Do or don't, just stop saying you'll stop when you won't.

The time you have....

Insanity.

How long do you think this takes to type up...?

10 minutes or so.

About the amount of time RMA has to wait while a comic is being pressed.

RMA, are you now doing comics and comic related stuff full time?

The time you have....

Insanity.

How long do you think this takes to type up...?

10 minutes or so.

About the amount of time RMA has to wait while a comic is being pressed.

RMA, are you now doing comics and comic related stuff full time?

I've been doing comics and comic related stuff full time since 2007.

I sat and watched Chuck Gower order a 1:25 variant a YEAR after it was published.) Why? Because the publishers print what they want, without regard to how many qualifying orders they receive, aside from meeting the minimum required.

30 copies of it! And I got them all!

Here is what just four knowlegeable boardies and Diamond account holders have had to say about variant print runs, printing standards in genral , and publishers' printing to the nearest case pack. There are many, many more examples , but these contain the posts that best and most concisely make the relevant points. A greatest hits, if you will:

From Wowithurts, regarding typcial, competent publishing standards:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=399310&Number=9126246#Post9126246

From paul747, in a PM to me regarding publishers printing to the nearest case pack (obviously pertaining to the ASM 667 Dell'otto. He later got back to me with even more specific info on that book, which he asked me not to share publicly , so I won't.) :

Thanks Jay ! happy holidays . As for those AMS variants I like them but never studied them. I think you are more of an expert on those. I do know that the recalled comics site does make some mistakes and marvel will always print an even case number no matter what. so if they needed 400 variants to cover there initial orders they would order probably 3 cases of 200/250 depending

here is the solicit for that book:

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #667 DELLOTO VAR SPI

MARVEL COMICS

Written by DAN SLOTT

Pencils by HUMBERTO RAMOS

Variant Cover by GABRIELE DELL'OTTO

THE SPIDER-MAN EVENT OF THE DECADE BEGINS!

Start Webbing The News! New York City's Infestation is complete and eight million people are plagued! As someone near to Peter Parker's life reveals their spider-abilities, the brilliantly fearsome Jackal rises from the past and begins organizing an army of Spider-powered soldiers. Spider-Man isn't the only hero affected as the threat goon grows bigger than any one Fantastically Friendly Neighborhood Avenger can handle. Best-selling Spidey creators Dan Slott and Humberto Ramos spin a Spider-epic that turns Peter Parker's BIG TIME into a BIG MESS. Bad romance, death-defying violence and one man facing his FINAL fearsome destiny... this one's got it all! Simply put, pal....YOU NEED THIS!

32 PGS./Rated A ...$3.99

Product Update (7/18/2011): Now carries a Marvel T rating (appropriate for ages 9 & up)

Item Code

Stock Status MAY118321

Stock #

STK450884

UPC

Discount Code

D

DCD P.O. Minimum

Price Before Discount

$3.99

PREVIEWS Consumer Price

$3.99

Category Code

Genre Code

SH

Brand Code

SM

Item Status

FOC/OIC Date

7/18/2011

Est Ship Date

8/10/2011

Date Shipped

8/10/2011

Pages

Color

FC

Series Frequency

M

Case Dimension

0.07(h)x10.2(d)x6.6(w)

Case Pack

Warning (NOTE: YOU MAY ORDER 1 VARIANT FOR EVERY 100 REGULAR YOU PURCHASE.) - wsteph

and here is the regular copy solicit:

Item Status

FOC/OIC Date

7/18/2011

Est Ship Date

8/10/2011

Date Shipped

8/10/2011

Pages

Color

FC

Series Frequency

M

Case Dimension

7(h)x14(d)x10.8(w)

Case Pack

As you can see the case pack for the variant is going to be the same 225 per case. if you knew the initial order number we could come close on the 1:100 variant printing number

the CC print number is :6 Amazing Spider-Man 667 $3.99 Marvel 71,235

I would estimate to say that they ordered at the least 225 variants and no more that 450 for this book. the initial ordering would have been a known number. i would estimate that only 20 percent of the initial order where stores that ordered 100 copies. they will always order the case minimum. it is very possible jay that this book only had 225 variants. but it could be 450 .. mHO !

From Chuck Gower , regarding Marvel's "PR stance" related to printing incentives close to orders , up to the nearest case pack (he goes in to greater detail over a couple of pages , but later seems to imply that he doesn't really believe Marvel (or Diamond). I suppose that's where I originally got the idea that some believe in a "vast publisher conspiracy" when it comes to ratio variants lol ):

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9137981&fpart=6

And From Larryscomics in a recent post, referring again , to books being printed , rounded up to the nearest case pack:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=238508&Number=9602466#Post9602466

All of this is supported by my own independent research , including just chatting up a couple of local lcs owners. This is the difference between someone stating their own "opinion" and making "assumptions" to support a preconceived and obviously prejudiced conclusion, and actually fact gathering and paying attention to what other knowledgeable boardies repeatedly state.

Facts. :cloud9:

It's been fun gents. (thumbs u

-J.

You're clueless.

What I said has nothing to do with what you think it does.

Once again you have nothing to go on and really you continue to destroy what credibility you have with anyone other than the people trying to rip off the uninformed.

I ordered 30 copies of a 1:25 almost 2 years after it came out and got them all. More than enough to go over a round up of the case pack by that point.

I just read through the entire thread and never once did Chuck Gower say Marvel prints to the nearest case. what he did say was:

And once again, let's be clear: MARVEL's PR stance is that they are printing close to the incentive amount. No one else can actually verify this, including Diamond.

Marvel, of course, NEEDS to have this believed, as the perception of rarity for these things is necessary to make retailers increase their orders, and for the customers to continue to buy them at a premium price, so that the cycle continues.

Unfortunately for them, their actions continue to show that they HAVE NOT at times followed this. And we have no idea at how many times they haven't followed it, as we have no idea how many times they actually HAVE followed it.

All we know FOR SURE, is that there are a couple of instances where they haven't:

2013 across the board for all variants, an overflow that they made available to Diamond to see, well after the relate date.

And last year with their two biggest incentive variant sellers.

Nothing about cases whatsoever. But evidence that Marvel has a PR stance they don't follow.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to read through all the other threads.

Interesting discussion.

Then you didn't read closely enough:

They recently have come under criticism for Star Wars Variants and Action Figure Variants that have suddenly appeared directly from them, much after the fact. This mysterious additional glut of product has led to them to take a hard line PR stance that variants are printed to order and rounded up to the case pack size.

And in my research, if you've ever wondered who actually reads these forums, let me just say: I love Marvel Comics! I love DC Comics! I love Image Comics! I love Valiant Comics! I love Diamond Distribution!

I don't care HOW you guys do your variants, I just want to sell as much at the retail level as I possibly can!

But, yeah, they're probably just lying. :eyeroll:

-J.

They were lying, as a year later they got criticized for the monsterous sell off of Star Wars variants they had left over. We STILL get Star Wars variants in Retailer Thank You packs (just got some from this years Baltimore pack).

They over printed.

And why do people think it's so weird for a publisher to over-print something.

Retailers over-buy all the time - because they think there's more money to be made.

Customers buy multiple copies all the time - because they think there's more money to be made.

If a publisher has orders for 100,000 copies of book that's PAID for already... What's another 5,000 to 10,000 copies for reorder purposes? They're still WAY in the black for that book.

DC printed pretty close to order on early Rebirth issues (which weren't reorderable), but printed extra copies of issues (how much we don't know), when they saw the popularity and demand for reorders.

What they PRINTED isn't KNOWN - what was INTIALLY ORDERED is the information sent to Comichron.

If Green Arrow is getting FOC orders of 75,000 copies, but DC is seeing reorders of 20,000 copies AFTER it comes out - it means they're printing closer to 100,000 copies of that book (taking into consideration replacements, comps, etc), yet Comichron will tell us 75,000.

That's a big difference.

:eyeroll:

Allow me to untangle Chuck Gower's labored word spaghetti for you then.

Fact: Chuck Gower is attempting to qualify and walk back his his own earlier posts and statements on the issue, because he is one of the few retailers on the boards who is notoriously and consistently anti-variant.

Yet his original post I linked earlier accurately summarized Marvel and Diamond 's public position (regardless of whether or not Chuck Gower thinks they are "lying". Hey, there's that blasted conspiracy theory again lol:o ).

Fact: The only "Star Wars variants" that Chuck Gower mentions with any specificity are the Action Figure books, and those were not ratio variants, so that is irrelevant to the conversation.

Fact: The one, single book that Chuck Gower is attempting to prove his alleged conspiracy with now (the ratio book that he claims he was able to order 30 copies of) is the Original Sin #1 1:25.

Original Sin was a large event from 2014, the first issue was the top seller for the month with nearly 150,000 copies ordered, and it alone had a dozen variants , only two of which were ratio (a 1:25 and a 1:50). With that in mind, it's not hard to fathom why there would be unclaimed/unordered overages on a 1:25.

However The fact that Chuck Gower was able to order 30 copies of it only proves that there were at least 30 unneeded copies of that book. Even if Chuck Gower ordered 30 copies, 15 other guys ordered 10, 15 more retailers ordered 2, and 35 others wanted one copy each, that would still be enough to account for the remnants of one case pack. Mr. Gower's attempts to extrapolate that one book out into the entire variant market and all variants ever printed by implying that publishers do in fact wildly and deliberately over print books that no one ordered (despite public statements from at least one publisher to the contrary) is his own preposterous conspiracy theorizing again.

Fact: Chuck Gower , again attempting to use another extreme , massive event (e.g. Star Wars launch, Original Sin launch, etc.) to prove his point , now brings up the massive DC Rebirth launch

However he is disingenuously (and knowingly) muddying the waters here, since A) His statements about re-orders and Comichron have nothing to do with ratio vatiants, B) Rebirth didn't have any ratio variants offered , and C) DC allows returnability anyway (including on all of the #1's), so his point is doubly moot (meaning their Comichron sell through numbers are actually reduced by returnability , and not low and/or under-reported due to "re-orders" as he implies- hence all of the asterisks you see next to the DC Rebirth titles on Comichron) And, on the flip side, if Comichron has enough time to adjust its final figures down for returns , then, obviously it has enough time to adjust up for any potential re-orders as well (which is why they have the lag time that they do every month before they release their reports for the prior month). But again , this entire point is irrelevant with respect to ratio variants.

What was that RMA said about being entitled to your own opinion , but not your own facts ? hm

-J.

However he is disingenuously (and knowingly) muddying the waters here, since A) His statements about re-orders and Comichron have nothing to do with ratio vatiants, B) Rebirth didn't have any ratio variants offered , and C) DC allows returnability anyway (including on all of the #1's), so his point is doubly moot (meaning their Comichron sell through numbers are actually reduced by returnability , and not low and/or under-reported due to "re-orders" as he implies- hence all of the asterisks you see next to the DC Rebirth titles on Comichron) And, on the flip side, if Comichron has enough time to adjust its final figures down for returns , then, obviously it has enough time to adjust up for any potential re-orders as well (which is why they have the lag time that they do every month before they release their reports for the prior month). But again , this entire point is irrelevant with respect to ratio variants.

:facepalm:

Comichron doesn't adjust anything, which you would know if you ever had the slightest clue what you were talking about.

That sure is a huge "if," isn't it?

But thanks for proving (once again) that you don't understand the Comichron numbers at all.

:facepalm:

Comichron doesn't adjust anything, which you would know if you ever had the slightest clue what you were talking about.

That sure is a huge "if," isn't it?

But thanks for proving (once again) that you don't understand the Comichron numbers at all.

Comichron does adjust numbers down for books that are returnable. I think they knock off about 10% off