• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stupidest reasons to break out a book in Overstreet.

47 posts in this topic

Ah, well, there are degrees of course. smile.gif If we listed everyone who ever suggested something about the notes on an issue or a story point, the acknowledgements would run for a dozen pages.

Which might be more interesting than seeing the same dealers ads for a dozen pages. foreheadslap.gif

Ah, well, there are degrees of course. smile.gif If we listed everyone who ever suggested something about the notes on an issue or a story point, the acknowledgements would run for a dozen pages.

Which might be more interesting than seeing the same dealers ads for a dozen pages. foreheadslap.gif

albeit more expensive for the rest of us confused-smiley-013.gif

You could have at least sent me a free copy of the Guide. poke2.gif

I had to pay $35 to check & see if the correction was made. tonofbricks.gif

Every creator is not Kurtzman and few titles are as tightly connected as Kurtzman and the War ECs, so I always though that notation made a lot of sense.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif You might have something there. I dunno, I guess I have just been too poisoned by literary theory, "the author is dead" and all that jazz. I'm just generally not interested in an author's critical opinions of his/her own work...but like I said, I've been poisoned by my occupation.

Okay, this is not really stupid, but way back in the day, FF #48 was of course the highest money wise of #48-50, follewed by #50. An Overstreet advisor told me " watch,,I'm going to break out #50 because it has a cool Surfer Cover " (which it does) And low and behold he did it, by just saying so. Now, I maybe wrong, but isn't Galactus like one of Marvel's all time great villains? Issue #48 was just a cameo of him on the last page, sort of like Hulk #180, but FF #49 is the first appearance of Galactus!!! And it also had a cool cover too! Seriously, to me Galactus first full appearance in a comic is at least the equal of a cool Surfer cover! But, hey that's just me.

Let's go over this again - #48 can't be a cameo if he never appeared before. The word "cameo" only applies to a brief significant appearance of a character made after we are *already familiar* with him or her. So #48 is a "first brief app." and #49 is a "first full app."

Let's go over this again - #48 can't be a cameo if he never appeared before. The word "cameo" only applies to a brief significant appearance of a character made after we are *already familiar* with him or her. So #48 is a "first brief app." and #49 is a "first full app."

For once, Arnold is actually right about something. stooges.gif

From the cambridge dictionary:

cameo:

noun [C] plural cameos

a small but noticeable part in a film or play, performed by a famous actor

example:He appears briefly towards the end of the film in a cameo role as a priest.

So, when is the Guide going to be consistent with the labeling process for cameos?

I mean, Strange Tales # 101 + # 102 have cameos by both the Thing and Sue Storm, respectively. The Invisible Girl actually helps her brother defeat the Wizard in ST # 102, playing a crucial part in the story. In fact, these two appearances qualify as the first cameos/cross-overs in the Marvel universe (4-5 months ahead of FF # 12 and ASM # 1), yet they aren't mentioned in the Guide at all.

Yet, Nova # 4 from 1977 bears the distinct mention of a Thor x-over in the Guide. Whoopee!

Well I don't know about those specific stories, but I went through all the existing "cameo" and "first app." references last year to make them all consistent with each other, using the terminology correctly. If there are missing references that we *should* have in there, by all means suggest them. I'll make a note of these.

Well I don't know about those specific stories, but I went through all the existing "cameo" and "first app." references last year to make them all consistent with each other, using the terminology correctly. If there are missing references that we *should* have in there, by all means suggest them. I'll make a note of these.

I apologize if I came off as a raving FF fan...I am smile.gif

I would ask that you reference both Strange Tales # 101 + 102 for more info.

The Thing cameo is pretty much just that in # 101 (as he offers to assist Johnny Storm in dealing with the Destroyer..and hangs around for just a couple of panels mid-way through the story). It isn't much...but its a cameo, and the first ever in the Marvel universe.

But Sue Storm's appearance in # 102 is more significant, as she gets an assist in the Torch's battle with the Wizard...I think it's more then just a cameo myself, perhaps even a cross-over per the Overstreet definition: "a story where one character appears prominently in the story of another character”, but I leave it in your capable hands to make the final determination.

And remember, these books are contemporary with FF # 7 + 8, months ahead of what is traditionally considered to be the first Marvel cross-overs. I think they deserve some recognition.

I apologize if I came off as a raving FF fan...I am smile.gif

I would ask that you reference both Strange Tales # 101 + 102 for more info.

The Thing cameo is pretty much just that in # 101 (as he offers to assist Johnny Storm in dealing with the Destroyer..and hangs around for just a couple of panels mid-way through the story). It isn't much...but its a cameo, and the first ever in the Marvel universe.

But Sue Storm's appearance in # 102 is more significant, as she gets an assist in the Torch's battle with the Wizard...I think it's more then just a cameo myself, perhaps even a cross-over per the Overstreet definition: "a story where one character appears prominently in the story of another character”, but I leave it in your capable hands to make the final determination.

And remember, these books are contemporary with FF # 7 + 8, months ahead of what is traditionally considered to be the first Marvel cross-overs. I think they deserve some recognition.

Good post. I hope it didn't cost you $20 to make it? tongue.gif