• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stupidest reasons to break out a book in Overstreet.

47 posts in this topic

There are so many issues specifically mentioned in Overstreet that Broken Out seems a very appropriate term. A large number of these reasons seem so dumb, that I think the subject needs a thread all of it's own.

I recently came accross this issue which apparently commands a $10 premium over it's near neighbours.

adventure276.jpg

The reason? Obvious. It contains a "Robinson Crusoe-like story". screwy.gif

Do people actively collect Robinson Crusoe-like stories? The great thing about this particular issue, is that it isn't some long held historical anomaly and only seems to have been broken out in the last few years. Which Overstreet advisor is sitting on a long box full of this issue?

Cue irate dealers telling me that Robinson Crusoe stories are actually very popular and I should blame Tom Hanks. tonofbricks.gif

I think the OS break-out notation for Frontline Combat #4 is kinda weird...yes, it's used in SOTI, granted, but OS also notes that #4 "contains 'Airburst' by Kurtzman which is his personal all-time favorite story." Interesting aside, but are we going to now start listing every major creator's favorite story as a break-out book?

*makes a note to change notation to "First App. Checkers-Playing Prototype Protocol Droid"*

laugh.gif

Wouldn't "3rd appearance Metallo" be better?

While you're here, Arnold, I went to look up an issue of Thrilling Comics last night, and there's a whole range, I thing it's 11-19(?) where the 8.0 price is listed as $34, which is clearly wrong. Should it have been $340?

*makes a note to change notation to "First App. Checkers-Playing Prototype Protocol Droid"*

laugh.gif

While you're here, Arnold, I went to look up an issue of Thrilling Comics last night, and there's a whole range, I thing it's 11-19(?) where the 8.0 price is listed as $34, which is clearly wrong. Should it have been $340?

Now if only I can find a dealer with those issues to sell them to me for guide value. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think the OS break-out notation for Frontline Combat #4 is kinda weird...yes, it's used in SOTI, granted, but OS also notes that #4 "contains 'Airburst' by Kurtzman which is his personal all-time favorite story." Interesting aside, but are we going to now start listing every major creator's favorite story as a break-out book?

Every creator is not Kurtzman and few titles are as tightly connected as Kurtzman and the War ECs, so I always though that notation made a lot of sense.

laugh.gif

So does NearMint get a Contributor's credit in the next OS edition? 893applaud-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

laugh.gif

So does NearMint get a Contributor's credit in the next OS edition? 893applaud-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I didn't get one for my contribution to this year's guide.... frown.gif