• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can anyone explain why higher priced copies sell, while lower ones sit...?

51 posts in this topic

I've accidentally purchased a higher priced book before. Had multiple copies in my watch list and mis-remembered which one to purchase once I was ready. I realized my mistake after purchasing but didn't ask the seller to cancel as it was totally my fault. mess happens, lesson learned, etc.

There's a variation of this trend I also find puzzling, but maybe slightly explainable.

People buy pre-orders for exclusive variants on Ebay for $100... when the original website still has them available for sale at $25. It's baffling, but I assume some people just don't know where to go.

Recent example: The Gabrielle Dell'Otto Venom #1 variant Color and B&W sketch set is currently selling on Ebay for $50-60 as a pre-order, yet is available for order directly for $24.99 at the original site.

Yes the IDW Best of EC Artist Editions are still for sale on their website for 125+ about 10 shipping, yet they sell on eBay for 149.95. I made several offers to a guy with one at 175, auto-declined at 110. I'll just order from IDW I suppose.

I see it with new Lego releases all the time. You can make a case for actions figures since you will always have a hard time finding a couple of figures in an assortment. However Lego usually has a two year life span.

Order it from Amazon or Lego itself.

Are all 9.8s equal in your eye? Perhaps one seller has a reputation for selling pressed 9.8s and another sells virgin ones. Perhaps one guy has a less transferring reputation while the other is just this side of Mother Teresa.

Price is a consideration, a major consideration, but not the only one.

Someone explain to me how MCS gets the prices it gets on ebay while we are at it. Its really unbelievable some of the prices they get for their books.

It must be the nifty custom logo next to their listings. It has an Amazon feel to it, which is comforting to some people I suppose.

Someone explain to me how MCS gets the prices it gets on ebay while we are at it. Its really unbelievable some of the prices they get for their books.

Raw or graded?

Don't believe that it's just MCS and I also don't believe it matters whether the book is raw or graded. Definitely some astronomical prices being paid out there for both raw and graded books over the past few months. :o

I believe the most important thing is the book itself and whether potential buyers just want to acquire any available copy, regardless of whether it's raw or graded. hm

I know a big factor is " do I trust this person" I most likely will pay extra money for peace of mind.

+1,000,000

People trust the brand/seller if they know something will go wrong.

An example is if Blazing Bob sells a certain comic book for $1,000 compared to Joe Schmo who sells it for $950 we will find that 99% of the time people will pick Blazing Bob because his history is he is an honest stand up dealer,while Joe Schmo doesn`t have that same brand recognition.

This happens a lot with baseball card dealers as well. A few get all the big sales because they have a history of delivering the goods in a safe,timely manner.

Also if you mark something to cheap than this lessens the value.

An example is I had 2 Led Zeppelin books combined for $25. No one bit,but when I broke them up and sold them each for $25 dollars they both sold.

So perceived value over cheapness plays a factor as well.

Because they likely have a dedicated customer base that goes to them regularly. Not saying it's smart to not research before buying but that's probably it. Some people like the familiarity. Let's face it, even Mile High has its own customer base. It's mind boggling but true. They'd have to or they would have gone under years ago.

I've seen similar things before. I remember having this type of discussion on another board (non-comics books) years ago. Someone started a thread asking why anyone would be dumb to way overpay by buying from a particular web site in question when you could get the same items on ebay for a lot cheaper. Someone from that web site found the thread and tried to defend their overpricing (yeah, that went well as you might imagine lol ) but in the end they were actually realizing their asking prices because people were interested in buying (and overpaying) from a source they trusted.

I have noticed that...the BIN are lower than the bidding price... Honestly if I see a BIN price lower than the Bids I just buy it. I never understood why some people do not search Ebay... This is usually only for books after 1981. I do not usually see this occur on Golden or Silver age, mainly due to supply.

The only reason someone would bid more than the Buy Now is the page quality. Well that is the only real reason anyone should?

Assume all other things are equal. Assume it's a 9.8 White pages of an 80's book that is common as dirt.

Can anyone tell me why a copy priced at $92 with free shipping sits, while MULTIPLE other copies sell for more, one as much as $145ish.

Can anyone explain that to me...?

Madness!

Do you know where the buyer is located? Does the $92 guy ship to Canada, Europe, etc?

Also, as someone pointed out, particularly for the foreign buyer, buying multiple items and shipping, etc., maybe just easier through a big seller?

Maybe that's a factor.

Because they likely have a dedicated customer base that goes to them regularly. Not saying it's smart to not research before buying but that's probably it. Some people like the familiarity. Let's face it, even Mile High has its own customer base. It's mind boggling but true. They'd have to or they would have gone under years ago.

I've seen similar things before. I remember having this type of discussion on another board (non-comics books) years ago. Someone started a thread asking why anyone would be dumb to way overpay by buying from a particular web site in question when you could get the same items on ebay for a lot cheaper. Someone from that web site found the thread and tried to defend their overpricing (yeah, that went well as you might imagine lol ) but in the end they were actually realizing their asking prices because people were interested in buying (and overpaying) from a source they trusted.

comics4less does really well too. whenever a raw book not even listed in super high grade sells for way more than i expect it seems to be them. and with a lot of volume too, not like divad selling a book every month or two and getting some wild price.

Assume all other things are equal. Assume it's a 9.8 White pages of an 80's book that is common as dirt.

Can anyone tell me why a copy priced at $92 with free shipping sits, while MULTIPLE other copies sell for more, one as much as $145ish.

I don't have an explanation, but based on the facts presented I do have a suggestion for increasing your sales...

Price yours at $165 and charge for shipping.

I don't have an explanation, but based on the facts presented I do have a suggestion for increasing your sales...

Price yours at $165 and charge for shipping.

There's a reason this man is as successful as he is...take the advice, take it...