• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM "Whitman" copies being sold as variants - legal?

182 posts in this topic

OK, I am sickened by a tactic that sellers are using. They are advertising their Amazing Spider-Man, or other Marvel title, comics as being Whitman variants even though they are simply the regular direct editions. AFAIK, there are NO distinguising marks on the direct edition comics that went into the Whitman 3-packs. Please, someone correct me if I amwrong in any way. Now, if I am not wrong, is it morally legal to sell such items as being variants? Wouldn't it be keyword spamming to use "Whitman" in eBay auction listings? Buyers are actually paying premiums for these comics because they think it is a variant. Also, if others are doing it, is it OK for me to do it? I got plenty of the issues in question so perhaps I should do the same? Thoughts?

If somebody who knows nothing about comics buys those issues for more than they're worth, more power to the seller.

That's a great attitude. Maybe you could get a job doing PR for Comic Keys.

OK, I am sickened by a tactic that sellers are using. They are advertising their Amazing Spider-Man, or other Marvel title, comics as being Whitman variants even though they are simply the regular direct editions. AFAIK, there are NO distinguising marks on the direct edition comics that went into the Whitman 3-packs. Please, someone correct me if I amwrong in any way. Now, if I am not wrong, is it morally legal to sell such items as being variants? Wouldn't it be keyword spamming to use "Whitman" in eBay auction listings? Buyers are actually paying premiums for these comics because they think it is a variant. Also, if others are doing it, is it OK for me to do it? I got plenty of the issues in question so perhaps I should do the same? Thoughts?

Don't lie about your comics to make more money.

Hobbie, showing your true colors, eh? Scumbag.

If somebody who knows nothing about comics buys those issues for more than they're worth, more power to the seller.

So "taking advantage of people with misinformation = good" according to you? I just want to be clear on that.

I assume you're being rhetorical here...if you're "sickened," why would you even consider doing the same?

If somebody who knows nothing about comics buys those issues for more than they're worth, more power to the seller. Those of us who know better, know better.

Expect nothing less from an Aggie 893naughty-thumb.gif

If somebody who knows nothing about comics buys those issues for more than they're worth, more power to the seller. Those of us who know better, know better.
Im afraid it's people like you who give the hobby a bad name. Think about the people you are ripping off. We coudl go with the old sob story of a grandma using what little money she has to buy a gift for her grandson who has cancer. Not only does he think he is getting somethign special but you are rippign off someone who would appreciate that extra money a whoel lot more than you would. Just an example to think of next tiem you try to trick people.

That's why CGC is in business. shy.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

Plus, as an added bonus, it keeps you off the streets!

That kind of attitude is totally [#@$%!!!]-backwards and so counter productive to attracting new hobbyists it sickens me. Those who don't know better don't know better probably because they are new to collecting. They trust the seller, get screwed and then get turned off the hobby and Ebay in general. For every honest Ebay seller there's 10 sellers who are more than happy to use dishonesty as a way of making more money. Or overgrade. Or pull a Harley Yee. Or charge $10 for media mail shipping. If sellers keep this up it will turn everyone away. It's bad enough that people automatically downgrade all VF books to FINE+ in their heads when shopping on Ebay because of the assumption that everyone overgrades. Now we should have buyers worrying if a variant is really a variant? Lame, lame, lame.

*cough* turnaround times *cough* *hint**cough* flowerred.gif

way to go, Hobby! a true freemarket capitalist of the first order; the robber barons of the nineteenth century would be proud of you!

way to go, Hobby! a true freemarket capitalist of the first order; the robber barons of the nineteenth century would be proud of you!

And the snake oil salesmen. Don't forget the snake oil salesmen.

Why would you be thinking of doing it if it sickens you so? Either you are lying and really would like to rip people off or your trying to make some sort of point that has gone way over my head. confused-smiley-013.gif

Why would you be thinking of doing it if it sickens you so? Either you are lying and really would like to rip people off or your trying to make some sort of point that has gone way over my head. confused-smiley-013.gif

as someone who enjoys speaking for others - in spite of it being in terribly poor taste - i believe H8red was being faecetious.

at least, that's what i would claim were i him. Hobby, now that's another story

as someone who enjoys speaking for others - in spite of it being in terribly poor taste - i believe H8red was being faecetious.

at least, that's what i would claim were i him. Hobby, now that's another story

Yeah hobby was pretty blatent. Return to this thread and explain yourself! 893naughty-thumb.gif