• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you pay for this dealer overstock?

142 posts in this topic

As an online comic dealer I would decline to bid on a collection like this. Looks like bulk silver in common grade, and bulk bronze copper in common grade.

Trying to turn a profit on inventory like this is like pushing mud with a broom, it just smears and in the end you have a bigger mess than what you started with.

Yea - online only sales would be tough for this kind of bulk books. But if you can pull out the top 30% and sell them and then blow out the rest for $1 a piece at a couple local shows (which I'd think would not be tough with the decent quality of the books) you would be way ahead with the $2,300 price tag.

No you wouldn't. You'd be out both your capital and - more importantly - your time. That sort of inventory is everywhere, and at a buck a book you're overpaying. Yes, there's some good stuff in there, but you're going to sell the good stuff and be stuck with the dregs. You will double your money, but it will take you a long time and will be a hassle.

That lot right there is YEARS of work. YEARS!

It's a novice trap. The guy who has them is hoping for a guy who thinks "Gee Whiz, Guide on these is $X, if I can get it for half that I will be swimming if phat stax a' cheddah!"

Maybe the dealer fell into the same trap, years and years before, and this is what's left. He's trying to pass it on like the curse in "The Ring"....hoping he can get someone to watch the tape so he's free. lol

I'd put anticipated sales in the range of $4,000 (with a bit of time invested) which is pretty much what he wants for them. Is $1,700 profits (before fees) worth it?

I'd rather take a job, paying $10 an hour, where people come up and kick me in the nuts all day. In a month I'd make the same money as you'll profit off of these books but at least I know I'd be done in 30 days. You'll be getting kicked in the nuts for a few years with these books.

As an online comic dealer I would decline to bid on a collection like this. Looks like bulk silver in common grade, and bulk bronze copper in common grade.

Trying to turn a profit on inventory like this is like pushing mud with a broom, it just smears and in the end you have a bigger mess than what you started with.

Yea - online only sales would be tough for this kind of bulk books. But if you can pull out the top 30% and sell them and then blow out the rest for $1 a piece at a couple local shows (which I'd think would not be tough with the decent quality of the books) you would be way ahead with the $2,300 price tag.

No you wouldn't. You'd be out both your capital and - more importantly - your time. That sort of inventory is everywhere, and at a buck a book you're overpaying. Yes, there's some good stuff in there, but you're going to sell the good stuff and be stuck with the dregs. You will double your money, but it will take you a long time and will be a hassle.

That lot right there is YEARS of work. YEARS!

It's a novice trap. The guy who has them is hoping for a guy who thinks "Gee Whiz, Guide on these is $X, if I can get it for half that I will be swimming if phat stax a' cheddah!"

Maybe the dealer fell into the same trap, years and years before, and this is what's left. He's trying to pass it on like the curse in "The Ring"....hoping he can get someone to watch the tape so he's free. lol

Ring_zpsl8dxzexp.jpg

I'd put anticipated sales in the range of $4,000 (with a bit of time invested) which is pretty much what he wants for them. Is $1,700 profits (before fees) worth it?

I'd rather take a job, paying $10 an hour, where people come up and kick me in the nuts all day. In a month I'd make the same money as you'll profit off of these books but at least I know I'd be done in 30 days. You'll be getting kicked in the nuts for a few years with these books.

If this was the case wouldn't you think the dealer would jump at the $2,300 offer rather then laughing at it? Or wouldn't he take the $3,000 offer from another dealer with cash in hand (assuming this actually happened and was not a sales tactic).

If you need some run inventory spending $1 a book would work. Judging by the pictures it's all low to mid grade and every easy to sell book has been sold. There's probably 500 books in there that'll wander out at $5 to $10 each and a lot of $1 books.

I think you answered Bob's question for me. I had 2 or 3 short boxes (250 - 375 books) in the $5/$10 range with a few $20 books like the early ASMs which always seem to sell. Silver Avengers always seem to be $5 to $10 and fairly easy sales. Hulks and most of the Silver and early Bronze X-Men are easy $5 - $10 sales depending on grades. If you can pull in $2,000 from the top 4 short boxes then the remaining 10 short boxes will mostly be profit. Then you can blow out the rest for $2,000 in $1/$2 boxes and some online sales. I'd put anticipated sales in the range of $4,000 (with a bit of time invested) which is pretty much what he wants for them. Is $1,700 profits (before fees) worth it? Would be to me especially if the grades are a bit better than VF for the later Bronze/Copper books.

You have to factor in your expenses to sell these books. You'll haul these to many shows and sell a few each show - more if you discount heavily. Booth costs plus bags and boards and time to prepare these for shows.

Ideally I like to buy a collection where the quick selling books will pay me back quickly and the rest is profit. But if you could use some run filling inventory this is ok at $1 a book. We don't really know what's all here from a few pictures and we don't know the grades. If there's some high grade BA to CA perhaps you could stretch a little higher. BA Xmen before #143 for example always sell well for me so that could push me a bit higher.

If you pay $4k you'll do all the work just to struggle to break even -ignoring your costs to show the collection and prepare the collection.

If this was the case wouldn't you think the dealer would jump at the $2,300 offer rather then laughing at it? Or wouldn't he take the $3,000 offer from another dealer with cash in hand (assuming this actually happened and was not a sales tactic).

No, he wants to get as much as possible. He's probably quitting the business because he overvalues his inventory and pays too much when buying.

Several scenarios are possible.

A) He doesn't have a $3,000 offer.

B) He's got a $3,000 offer and isn't smart enough to take it.

C) He's deluded into thinking his pyrite is gold.

and most likely....

D) some combination of either A) or B) plus C).

Maybe he hasn't reached the breaking point, where he realizes these books are an anchor around his neck. Load them in the van, take them to the show, load them back in the van, put them back in the basement, load them in the van....over and over again like Sisyphus with the Stone.

Perhaps he's sizing you up seeing how far you'll stretch.

Regardless, you're staring down the barrel of making less than min. wage to move these books. A LOT less than minimum wage, like, you'll be envious of the kids that assemble Nikes.

Take three or four of those books, combine them with twenty ten cent overstock books and you can blow them out on eBay for 19.99. Not a homerun, but a solid double for someone willing to spend the fifteen minutes it takes to list and pack a priority box. The only problem is having the discipline to not away the money as it dribbles in.

I'd be a buyer at $1500. In fact, I'd be inclined offer him $1200 to cherry pick 600 books from the collection.

Take three or four of those books, combine them with twenty ten cent overstock books and you can blow them out on eBay for 19.99. Not a homerun, but a solid double for someone willing to spend the fifteen minutes it takes to list and pack a priority box. The only problem is having the discipline to not away the money as it dribbles in.

I'd be a buyer at $1500. In fact, I'd be inclined offer him $1200 to cherry pick 600 books from the collection.

I wish he would go for that kind of offer since that would be a home run but he wants to move the batch at once - can't really blame him.

1. If someone would have offered me $3K for the bunch I'd have jumped at SELLING it.

2. I think with that many singles you need a higher rate of return if there's ZERO $100 books. BUT if you regularly sell at local conventions and needed stock and knew your market well, its not a terrible buy at $1 per book.

3. I like Shad's offer of paying $1200 to cherry pick 600 books.

1. If someone would have offered me $3K for the bunch I'd have jumped at SELLING it.

2. I think with that many singles you need a higher rate of return if there's ZERO $100 books. BUT if you regularly sell at local conventions and needed stock and knew your market well, its not a terrible buy at $1 per book.

3. I like Shad's offer of paying $1200 to cherry pick 600 books.

Which would be easier to accomplish, if the guy hadn't already turned down the OP's $2300 offer.

I would like to be present if he goes back to him offering $1200 though. lol

I'd pay $1200 for that pile - for all of it. I'd take an hour and pull the 600 or so nice books out, and then take another couple hours to fold the rest into my $5 boxes. At $1200, I'm OK with the spend - if I could get it for $1000 that would be better. You will be stuck with the dregs of this collection forever - you have to make the Marvel Collector's Item Classics have a negative cost to you.

]Although silver and bronze bulk is tough to come by out in the wild [/b]id wait for a deal at a swap meet or cl ad. Id pay a buck each for that lot tops. Gonna take a long time to move those. When a dealer wants to sell in bulk he has to take a hit on the price for that convenience.

No it isn't. Books are everywhere.

Hmm, looks to be about 2000-2100 books total in 14 short boxes. Assuming if the SA section is about half that, BA/CA half this. I'd say $2500 upward to open in offer? (shrug)

That is coming from the photo, not in person to check them out all.

And that's from a strictly dealer (seller) standpoint correct? I think it will be interesting to see how much the three different perspectives (sell them all, sell most and keep a few or keep them all) come up with a number.

What would be your range be - $2,500 to start off and would go up to $3,000 in negotiations based on what you can see?

About 250 bagged and boarded books in a long box, so more like 1700-1800 books to be on the safe side.