• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you pay for this dealer overstock?

142 posts in this topic

Yup I'm learning why there aren't more national dealers.

Probably because its fricking hard work. I'm sure the rewards are good but it's definitely not easy doing what you guys do.

Does this Full time

Does National as well as Regional shows

Has a Regional, domestic as well as international market presence.

Understands that there are regional dynamics that influence pricing.

Makes markets, just doesn't follow them.

Actually knows what is scarce and what isn't.

Web based presence.

What makes one a "national dealer"?

Good inventory?

You do shows coast to coast?

Just curious.

When I hear the term I think of guys that travel the country buying collections. Most of those guys have big ads in Overstreet or advertise elsewhere nationally. The big guns of the industry with very large pocketbooks..

Of course I just sold a small batch of books to a guy in Israel so I'm an International Dealer! Guy made a $10 offer on a $15 book which I came back with a $13 price. He countered with $12 which I took. I think there is a joke in there but 100% true story.

Good inventory?

Just curious.

When I hear the term I think of guys that travel the country buying collections. Most of those guys have big ads in Overstreet or advertise elsewhere nationally. The big guns of the industry with very large pocketbooks..

Purses. But stuffed with $1000 bills.

Good inventory?

Just curious.

The BSDs of the industry, who have a seat at the table in San Diego.

Does this Full time

Web based presence.

Tough to do this as your only job unless you have no kids, no mortgage, and/or maybe a sugar momma. Can't do it selling $5 books, that's for sure. Need to sell 20,000 of them just to hit $100K before expenses/taxes!

And probably a good thing for the guys who do it at that level that there aren't 100 of them.

I did it 15 years working two jobs.

I have 3 kids, one in college.

Its called Hard work, having a good business plan, having working capital, support of your wife and family, networking and knowing how to run a business.

No short cuts.

Does this Full time

Web based presence.

Tough to do this as your only job unless you have no kids, no mortgage, and/or maybe a sugar momma. Can't do it selling $5 books, that's for sure. Need to sell 20,000 of them just to hit $100K before expenses/taxes!

And probably a good thing for the guys who do it at that level that there aren't 100 of them.

I don't think the market would sustain that many national dealers. There's only so much pie to split, especially with the internet. The market usually works these things out though. So you gotta figure the that the remaining national dealers are all pretty savvy, because you gotta really WANT IT and be SMART to keep being successful at it, barring luck (Mile High) or independent wealth.

So you'd think people who like 'bomics' and want to get to the top would actively seek these people out and try to pick their brains....or attempt to participate in these threads to gain as much knowledge as possible....

Pick out the top 25-50 books. Then make a deal.

Definetely a valid strategy especially if the person is desperate or slightly unfamiliar with comics but seeing as this is a Con dealer I'm sure he is just "blowing" out extra books but also doesn't want to give away the books at bulk prices. Can't have it both ways.

Does this Full time

Web based presence.

I don't think the market would sustain that many national dealers. There's only so much pie to split, especially with the internet. The market usually works these things out though. So you gotta figure the that the remaining national dealers are all pretty savvy, because you gotta really WANT IT and be SMART to keep being successful at it, barring luck (Mile High) or independent wealth.

So you'd think people who like 'bomics' and want to get to the top would actively seek these people out and try to pick their brains....or attempt to participate in these threads to gain as much knowledge as possible....

The info in these threads seems to be more condensed but I don't think anything discussed here isn't something you don't pick up from just hanging around the boards. Maybe a few new gems of info but the main moral is to use your head when making deals and think it out before making the offer or the deal. Know what sells quickly and don't forget to factor in time spent into the equation (which I do all the time).

Does this Full time

Web based presence.

The info in these threads seems to be more condensed but I don't think anything discussed here isn't something you don't pick up from just hanging around the boards. Maybe a few new gems of info but the main moral is to use your head when making deals and think it out before making the offer or the deal. Know what sells quickly and don't forget to factor in time spent into the equation (which I do all the time).

You made a fair offer.

From the perspective of someone who is doing shows on a regular basis, if I happen to need to bulk up my boxes, seller would love me. I would snap these up at a buck a book, assuming these are nice clean solid runs missing just the big keys. If its roughly 2k books, I would offer him 2k cash as a best and final and give him a few minutes to think about it, just nice bulk for filling out runs and $5 boxes.

If you need to make a killing and try offering $50 a box, you just wont get deal. You will get laughed at, and have to defend the pricing of the books on your table as he pulls various things from your boxes with your $20 price tag and points out same books in his boxes that you just offered 20 cents each.

If you offer 3k, you wont make a profit inside of a decade.