• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help with a recent GCG book purchase...

14 posts in this topic

Hi guys just wanted to see if any of you guys can give me a little input into this matter. I recently purchased an Amazing Spider-Man #43 cgc 6.0 on ebay. The picture in the listing was kinda but i didn't think anything of it. So fast foward to a week later when the book gets delivered and i open up the package....but the book looks in way worse condition than a 6.0 to me. The front of the book is clearly stained along the left side and upper left side of the book. And the back of the book has very noticeable stains on the top and bottom. I dont seem to see any damage to the cgc case itself but the bottom left corner seems to have some sort of mark...not sure if it's a crack or if the case was cracked open and then resealed. Can any help me out and put my mind at ease cause this whole thing is really bugging the hell out of me...

IMAG01551_zpsl0lyaorj.jpg

IMAG01561_zpstszs5myq.jpg

IMAG01571_zpsfayljhuy.jpg

IMAG01581_zpsjft0iztu.jpg

IMAG01591_zps7qs6sjdo.jpg

IMAG01601_zpshyivokmv.jpg

IMAG01621_zpsjukzonmr.jpg

I would not keep the book, even if the graders notes mention the staining you aren't going to be happy with it. The seller takes returns for 14 days so return it. You can pay $10 for graders notes or ship it back for about the same.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-43-CGC-6-0-1st-full-appearance-of-Mary-Jane-Watson-1966-/291905622445?hash=item43f6ee51ad%3Ag%3A5NcAAOSwOyJX-nbq&nma=true&si=rhHJ73ChG51xL3ab1ZSMj%252FN7M4Y%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I would not keep the book, even if the graders notes mention the staining you aren't going to be happy with it. The seller takes returns for 14 days so return it. You can pay $10 for graders notes or ship it back for about the same.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-43-CGC-6-0-1st-full-appearance-of-Mary-Jane-Watson-1966-/291905622445?hash=item43f6ee51ad%3Ag%3A5NcAAOSwOyJX-nbq&nma=true&si=rhHJ73ChG51xL3ab1ZSMj%252FN7M4Y%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Good advice. For future reference, this listing screams of problems. No pic of the Back cover, where most of the problems are, and blurry photos. He doesn't want the buyer to actually see what he is getting. Send it back.

Good advice. For future reference, this listing screams of problems. No pic of the Back cover, where most of the problems are, and blurry photos. He doesn't want the buyer to actually see what he is getting. Send it back.

If you look at the book closely, the structural integrity of the spine is solid and there are no major structural flaws i.e. no 3" creases etc.It lies flat and has decent eye appeal.

Light general wear, oxidation and maybe foxing along the edges & a stain on the BC are the issues on this book.

That said, a 6.0 does not seem unrealistic.

The seller should have included a pic of the BC, the book sold for below GPA, he may have gotten more dough if he had only included 2 pics of the FC & 2 pics of the BC.That could be why the book sold on the low end.The seller hurt himself by not including a BC shot.

Now he will have to deal with a return and re-listing.

Looks like he bought it on ComicLink, which doesn't show scans of the back cover, so he may have been surprised by the staining when it arrived. Could be why he decided to sell -- and avoid including pics of the back cover!

It's hard to tell if it's staining or foxing from the poor pics.

If it's foxing it would be more allowable in grade than staining. Not the prettiest 6.0 but it is in the range of possibility that it wasn't tampered with.

Only way to know is by checking the notes....but I doubt someone would go through the trouble to tamper with a mid grade, non key book.

Looks like he bought it on ComicLink, which doesn't show scans of the back cover, so he may have been surprised by the staining when it arrived. Could be why he decided to sell -- and avoid including pics of the back cover!

Yes. This book will be making the rounds until someone tolerates it or doesn't want to bother returning it. This is a good example of why CGC over grading is bad for the hobby. Flaws should be downgraded no matter how they were caused. If this book got the 6.0 because the stains were considered foxing' that is wrong. Fugly is fugly.

Thanks everyone for your input on the matter. I have talked to the seller and he told me he purchased the book from ebay a while back and never thought about it much and offered to take it back if i wanted to return it. At this moment im still deciding whether or not i should keep it. The front of the comic i believe is definitely foxing but the back are definite stains. Regardless i will make my decision soon as to whether or not i will keep it. Again thanks everybody for the help.

The fc looks like that and you expect a 6.0 to have a clean back as well? that's some kind of high bar, friend

Not a high bar at all. Like i said in my original post i just wasn't sure and wanted to get input from other people. I have several other 6.0 books and none looked as bad as this one which is what caused me to question it.