• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Warping inside New CGC Holder

10 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I have some CGC graded books, some of the ones inside of the new cases have some possibly developed waviness too them . Has anyone seen this? The books I have in the older cases don't seem to be having this issue. Thanks

Jason

Hello All,

I have some CGC graded books, some of the ones inside of the new cases have some possibly developed waviness too them . Has anyone seen this? The books I have in the older cases don't seem to be having this issue. Thanks

Jason

Depending on when they were graded they may be part of the pressure design case that did not have an inner well. This was used for about 2 months before it was altered, because of issues like the case causing waves. They were used from April to about June. The label looks the same. You can tell if there is an inner well by looking for either a tab like shelf on the back of the book that serves to hold the book in place, or you can see the marks where the inner well was sealed running down the sides of the book. If either of these things is missing you have a book in the "recalled" new case. You may still be able to get them reholdered if you do.

hello all , here are some pictures they are definitely in the new case without the inner well seal. So i have 13 books total like this. So should i ask CGC for a free press and reholder? This stinks!

hello all , here are some pictures they are definitely in the new case without the inner well seal. So i have 13 books total like this. So should i ask CGC for a free press and reholder? This stinks!

All of that apparent waviness on the slabs you pictured above will be pressed out by CCS and I am sure that CGC will take care of you on pressing & reholdering.

Just call CGC before you ship the slabs out.

All of that apparent waviness on the slabs you pictured above will be pressed out by CCS and I am sure that CGC will take care of you on pressing & reholdering.

The vast majority of wavy books that CGC have reholdered were not pressed - once they were removed from the defective case, they reverted to being flat again. I had 35+ books myself that got reholdered, not a single one needed to be pressed.

2qKEncn.jpg

caJHQQj.jpg

jQM4hnx.jpg

Fixed the images, which are big, so I put them in a spoiler tag.

The vast majority of wavy books that CGC have reholdered were not pressed - once they were removed from the defective case, they reverted to being flat again. I had 35+ books myself that got reholdered, not a single one needed to be pressed.

Yes, I agree with what you are saying.

I'll add that I subbed books back in 3/16 and got the back 4/16, in the holder with no inner well and had the same experience with reholdering them.

CGC reviews the books on a book by book basis, most books do no not need to be pressed.....I sold a JSA All Star 1 ( giant sized modern) last week on eBay that was not reholdered and had no waviness, it was centeted well in the case...it was slabbed in 4/16.

However, if the books had less than optimal centering, in conjunction with waviness, after 6 months of lying in a defective holder, paper memory is more likely to be an issue after being reholdered.Even so, after some time after being reholdered (relative to the 6 months they were encapsulated in the defective holder, they would more than likely (gradually) revert to their pre-waviness state.

It should also be noted that unpressed moderns usually have a signifigant amount of waviness when found in the wild....especially "brand new" moderns that are purchased at comic shops off the racks every Wednasday.

Copper moderns like Silver Surfer's, later issues of Transformers, later issues of New Nutants are notorious for waviness, when found in the wild, unpressed.

Every single copy of Silver Surfer 34,44 and New Mutants 98 etc. that I bought raw had pronounced waviness, before I pressed them.

That sort of waviness is commonplace and as such, does not effect the grade assigned by CGC (or by CBCS, for that matter).