• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

key mile highs with some degree of restoration

23 posts in this topic

yikes lot of 9.+'s in there, amazed they graded like that after sitting in stacks, being carried out in chicken boxes and stacked, then being sold multiple times and probably shipped several as well, rather amazing really. interesting going over that list and seeing the stuff in there.

BIG KEY MILE HIGH BOOKS WITH SOME DEGREE OF RESTORATION!

superman#1

batman#1

more fun comics #52

adventure comics #40

all star #3

can you add to this list?

So sad. I'm not an anti-restoration freak, and in some cases I think it's important and necessary to perform restorative/conservational processes to a book, just so that we can be sure that a book stays around. But color-touching Church books? Such a travesty. A real shame, one of the many insights into the uber-greed that fuels so much of the hobby.

most of these books were touched up in the early 80s,when doing this IMPROVED its value..of course the opposite is true today..our opions are CONSTANTLY changing on restoration,which is why i stay away from it...i mean one day its a blue folder and i resub later its a purple folder,,what better reason for a knowledgeble collector to stay away from restoration

my understanding has been that John Snyder touched them up when he owned them and it had less to do with bettering them for resale than just a few too many beers for a guy all alone late one night with his cherished funny books and a marker, some paint and a little glue, just trying to fix the tiny imperfections on otherwise perfect books.

A mistake, but not analogous to a dealer doing it prepping them for a show the next day or anything like that.

Regrettable, but not avaricious.

just a few too many beers for a guy all alone late one night with his cherished funny books

I suppose I shouldn't complain about a little color touch, then; I guess we're all just lucky that Church books aren't typically identifiable by their sticky pages! insane.gif

Seriously, though, thanks for the info. A little better to know that it wasn't all profit-motivated resto, but it's still a crime.

most of these books were touched up in the early 80s,when doing this IMPROVED its value..of course the opposite is true today..our opions are CONSTANTLY changing on restoration,which is why i stay away from it...i mean one day its a blue folder and i resub later its a purple folder,,what better reason for a knowledgeble collector to stay away from restoration

Touch up only improved the value when it was undetected. I wasn't collecting in the early 80s, but back in the mid 70s when I was a teenager in Ohio, and hardly part of any collecting "elite", it was common knowledge that some dealers weren't above taking a black marker to a black cover book to make a VF look like a NM. Even though the price spread wasn't that large, it was very little work for a few extra dollars. I don't know anyone, who upon discovering this crude form of color touch, thought that it was an "improvement". Restoration was something that honest parties felt should be disclosed, and while it may not have reduced the value of a book as much as it does today, it was taken into consideration when pricing a comic. I don't mean to impune anyone's reasons for touching up the Church books, logic would dictate that, especially in the pre-CGC era, whether a given book was really a 9.0 or 9.6 would have had little impact on it's value considering the pedigree.

While there are some cases when restoration is actually desirable, or at least negligible enough that the book shouldn't be stigmatized to the point of uncollectibility, I find it hard to believe that anyone in possession of a Church book, let alone a key wasn't aware that they were compromising the integrity of the book by "touching it up".

So sad. I'm not an anti-restoration freak, and in some cases I think it's important and necessary to perform restorative/conservational processes to a book, just so that we can be sure that a book stays around. But color-touching Church books? Such a travesty. A real shame, one of the many insights into the uber-greed that fuels so much of the hobby

I agree 100%.