• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Finite One-Shot Thread

39 posts in this topic

Btw, why the dislike for painted covers? I adore the Ziff-Davis stuff...I think a run of Z-D books would be killer! Deliciously pulpy books.

Not sure why. Just that most seem, somehow, tamer. At least in the realm I collect. Something about the hard lines of a "regular" cover, the blacks, I think, I respond to more than the softer painted covers.

Now I HAVE seen (and this be one of them) some painted covers I really love but most I just do not respond to (not to be repetively redundant). What to say? :confused-smiley-013.gif: I know this is a failing on my part. :frown.gif:

Btw, why the dislike for painted covers? I adore the Ziff-Davis stuff...I think a run of Z-D books would be killer! Deliciously pulpy books.

Not sure why. Just that most seem, somehow, tamer. At least in the realm I collect. Something about the hard lines of a "regular" cover, the blacks, I think, I respond to more than the softer painted covers.

Now I HAVE seen (and this be one of them) some painted covers I really love but most I just do not respond to (not to be repetively redundant). What to say? frown.gifshrug): I know this is a failing on my part. ::(:

Nah, no failing, though I feel a "painted cover" GA thread comin' on!

I know where you're coming from Pov when it comes to painted covers - despite some great ones by Saunders - painted covers on old comics just don't look right - on pulps YES!, but comics should have line-drawn covers. (although on moderns they often look just spiffy). But I'll take painted covers over photo covers any day ( not only were they usually incredibly lame - but it's just WRONG!)

Love that Mysterious Traveler book, it's been on my want list for well over a year.

What a coinkydink, here's a one-shot that just landed today, purchased from our very own Rjpb. Thanks, bud!

This isn't one that I'd bust out at the cocktail party, but it is a pretty fascinating/disturbing piece of pop culture history. Haven't researched this (yet), but I see this book as potentially being a pre-wertham reaction to "violent" comics---I'm thinking timelys, here, specifically. Yet here's the rub: this return to childhood innocence in comics is so shockingly steeped in full-on racism, as you can see.

cleanfun.jpg

Overstreet lists the year as 1944....has a weird description in the guide too, "Humorous situations involving Negroes in the Deep South." screwy.gif

I mentioned to RJ that I was surprised this book is so unknown and guides so low. Only guides at $125 in 9.2. confused.gif