• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are the Canadian buyers back??

119 posts in this topic

I do have a US account at the RBC Royal Bank....however PayPal will not recognize a US account at a Canadian Bank (ripoff).

I don't live anywhere near the US border so I can't open a PO Box to get deliveries there.

So the exchange rate sucks (sitting around 1.37 CDN if I'm buying and 1.30 CDN if I'm selling my duplicates).

And if I'm buying, add the Global Shipping Program (ripoff) from most US sellers. Huge Ripoff.

So my buying habits from the US have decreased to almost nothing.

Not sure if I"m allowed to post or not...but my US $ account (and credit card) are both with Royal as well -- and this solution still works:

http://travelblogbreakthrough.com/canadian-paypal-users-transfer-usd-bank/

Right. The difference is that you need a US account on US soil from a Canadian bank, and most if not all the US banks offer them.

The only problem you will run into is that you if you are moving a lot of money in or out they may eventually ask you to move your transactions into a business account rather than a personal account. Even if it's just a hobby for you the bank will consider it a business if there is lots of in and out funds going on. That's due to new banking and anti-money laundering legislature. Opening up a business account is an entirely different can of worms. They make you jump through hoops for that one.

I read through the article quickly. Not sure what the fuss is about. Open an RBC Georgia account and done. Eezy peezy. I convert us to CDN once a month to cover bills. All remaining funds stay in us$. You can transfer from PayPal in usd. You can also use consignment houses and get cheques. Saved $15k in the 1st year alone.

The exchange rate is currently a few percent lower than the average rate for the last 25 years. The only buyers who believe the rate is so bad are those who convinced themselves the dollar is supposed to be at the historical high it was 4-5 years ago.

Maybe some Canadians took advantage of the high dollar and moved on. I don't see why anyone buying for more than the last 5 years would have stopped. They also may have purchased more when they had more power via the exchange to do so.

Yep.

I'm not really upset at today's rates, but I regret not buying more a few years ago.

It actually worked out quite nice for me. I bought way too much art a few years ago and started selling recently. Even taking a loss in usd works out to be a profit after all the exchange.

I'm gonna assume that the CDN dollar will gain about 10 cents by the time the markets open in the morning at this rate. :cloud9:

Jim

Make the Canadian looney great again ....

yes please

Just like Brexit don't believe the hype. Looney now worth less than where it was yesterday. With US interest rates edging higher and Trump promising to unleash a fossil fuel energy economy crude prices should stay low. Between that and Canadian government that doesn't shy away from deficit spending my bet is you see $1.50 or higher before you see parity.

On the bright side there will be a lot of work for wall building .....

Maybe they will invent a way to build a wall with 90s drek and we will all be rich.

Maybe they will invent a way to build a wall with 90s drek and we will all be rich.

I hear Turok 1s make excellent building material.

But will all the rust belt guys looking for jobs be willing to relocate to the Mexican border?

Or are you talking about Canadians building a wall to keep us out?

But will all the rust belt guys looking for jobs be willing to relocate to the Mexican border?

Well the CDN governments' Immigration website did crash last night, so I'm gonna assume it will be to keep ya'll out. :foryou:

Jim

Well the CDN governments' Immigration website did crash last night, so I'm gonna assume it will be to keep ya'll out. :foryou:

Jim

Where's my T-shirt, nimrod?

Jim

You didn't get it yet?

Jim

You didn't get it yet?

You sent one?