• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to keep collecting focus?

41 posts in this topic

I must have collecting ADD. I have pretty clear collecting objectives....for a short while. Then something else catches my eye and i go off the rails. The result is i spread myself thin when projects are only half done and i move on to something else. How do you guys keep yourself on the road to completion?

Right now im trying to complete amazing spiderman 25-75 in at least Fine and x-men 94-150 in vf or better but now im thinking i want a registry set of secret wars cgc9.8 and ofcourse im 90% done with my run of iron man 5-330 and id really like to get a few more pedigree books from the golden age and always wanted to start a precode horror collection and...and....and. :tonofbricks:

I made a list of the top 10 really rare and expensive books that never come up for sale. They could be from any run and when they were available (as long as I had the funds) I purchased them.

After that I kept my focus to 1-2 collecting goals at a time. If I didn't have any luck over a few months I would shift focus and come back to them later.

In reality you are only limited by your cash flow and time.

I think its all about what you like to collect. If you try to focus on a run that you aren't committed to finishing you'll drift. I was a disaster when it came to focus when I got back into collecting. I bought books from GA to MA and everything in between but after awhile I realized I kept drifting back to SA Spideys. I've since focused primarily on a 1 - 100 ASM run and have enjoyed it so much I no longer get distracted. There will be the occasional key I'll jump at but other than that I'm zeroed in. The wisdom of friends and board members helped guide me as well. Key takeaway from my interactions with the wise ones; don't compromise quality for the sake of time, its not a race.

I wouldn't touch precode horror, too many fingers in that pie already.

I like silver, bronze, and copper because they are always copies available to pick from. If I don't find what I need, I'll buy something else anyway, so there's no point having a focus that's so rare that you can't find any issues to complete it. I'm also fussy for the defects on a book, so I wouldn't enjoy buying a ratty copy of a rare GA just to say I had it. When I do buy GA, I don't expect to finish runs of it, so I know it's just there to add flavor to the collection.

I'm working mostly on GA Captain Marvel Adventures, which was printed in good quantity, and doesn't see a lot of activity because of it. I'm working on SA Flash and Aquaman, but I'll buy modern issues until Flashpoint if I can't find anything else. I'm also working on Avengers 1-500, and pretty close to done. Lots of other titles on the go, but I rarely buy books from them, I'm just not motivated to. I'll pick them back up later... sometime... maybe!

After going through many phases of collecting, I have reached these conclusions.

--- Don't be a completist. Focus on smaller, preferably early, runs.

--- Get a nice copy. Don't settle for a placeholder.

--- Be creative. Chase fun things that are not expensive to satisfy the 'hunger'. Examples: Last Issues, 2nd printings, birthday books, etc.

--- Let the books come to you. Don't chase a want list, it only leads to overpaying.

--- Don't chase slabs only. Raws can be just as fun and sometimes more rewarding.

--- Don't chase the CGC Registry. It's a suckers game.

I just bought key's from time to time, and there are enough out there to make it interesing---

For fun I thought about getting all available appearance's of the Punisher with Mark Jeweler Inserts

lol

I got Amazing Spiderman 129 134 135 then went to get Giant Size Spiderman 4 and Marvel Preview 2 and -----they don't have them

then saw the Mark Jeweler Inserts thread that posts available comics with the MJI and.....just not a lot of other Punisher MJI runs out there :makepoint:

you'll get to some completed accomplishments, just be proud to own whatever you end up getting in the mean-time

I started going back and doing a Valiant run of 9.8's...

As I started I realized.... what the hell am I doing? I could be sinking that money into buying the Golden Age books I really wanted.

So instead of picking up a slew of books a month... I pick up a GA Cap here, a GA Supes there... and so on.

Discipline and obtainable goals reaps reward.

And BTW... I think it was Shadroch who said it best... it was something along the lines that he would rather have ten $1000 books instead of one thousand $10 books.

Thank you all for your contributions. It was fun hearing how you all stuck, or didn't stick to your guns. Modern day collecting is rough, you really are only limited by funds.....internet makes it easy to track down all but the rarest titles in a day or two. Our blessing is now our curse!!!

Here are my collecting rules that help me stay focused, but it is not easy:

1. Anything published after 1975 is simply last in line on my list or goals. Although these books are nice-to-haves, like commodities, they are plentiful and you see them again and again and again and again. Avoid getting distracted when these are in front of your face like a juicy piece of bait.

2. Stay focused, but don't pass up a great price on a book that might not be high on your list (i.e., be opportunistic) or a book that represents a nice upgrade over a lower grade copy of the same book that you already have.

3. Be picky with page quality. Especially anything after 1965, insist in your mind on OW/W or better.

4. Before buying, I ask myself, is this a book that is liquid or, at another extreme, will I have a hard time selling it?

I missed some good daredevils over in Selling Forum because I took a nap during lunch at work. Not sleeping is the answer.

Funny.

I almost sent you a note about cheese's thread, but wasn't sure it wouldn't reach you too late and just be frustrating.

What is this focus thing you folks are discussing?

I'm a practical collector, not a theoretical one.

My only concern when contemplating a purchase is will it easily sell for a profit.

Rule of Acquisition #1.

Actually, it's "1, Once you have their money, you never give it back."

/Trek geek