• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to keep collecting focus?

41 posts in this topic

As someone trying to complete a few sets who stays focused. Avoid impulse buys. I keep a checklist of everything I want and don't mess around with the registry. You'll never win that game unless you have deep pockets. I slab slot of raw books to save money.

The biggest thing is to focus on one run at a time, pick a run and make it a priority. Secret Wars 1-12 in 9.8 you can get any time. ASM run is harder and more costly so do that first.

Whatever run you have almost finished, do that first before you buy anything else, otherwise, you are just opened up yet another new box of cereal before you finished the old one.

Whatever run you have almost finished, do that first before you buy anything else, otherwise, you are just opened up yet another new box of cereal before you finished the old one.

I have dozens of unfinished cereal boxes :acclaim:

I missed some good daredevils over in Selling Forum because I took a nap during lunch at work. Not sleeping is the answer.

Funny.

I almost sent you a note about cheese's thread, but wasn't sure it wouldn't reach you too late and just be frustrating.

What is this focus thing you folks are discussing?

I'm a practical collector, not a theoretical one.

My only concern when contemplating a purchase is will it easily sell for a profit.

Rule of Acquisition #1.

Actually, it's "1, Once you have their money, you never give it back."

/Trek geek

That's the Feringi rules. They have theirs I have mines.

After going through many phases of collecting, I have reached these conclusions.

--- Don't be a completist. Focus on smaller, preferably early, runs.

--- Get a nice copy. Don't settle for a placeholder.

--- Be creative. Chase fun things that are not expensive to satisfy the 'hunger'. Examples: Last Issues, 2nd printings, birthday books, etc.

--- Let the books come to you. Don't chase a want list, it only leads to overpaying.

--- Don't chase slabs only. Raws can be just as fun and sometimes more rewarding.

--- Don't chase the CGC Registry. It's a suckers game.

^^

After going through many phases of collecting, I have reached these conclusions.

--- Don't be a completist. Focus on smaller, preferably early, runs.

--- Get a nice copy. Don't settle for a placeholder.

--- Be creative. Chase fun things that are not expensive to satisfy the 'hunger'. Examples: Last Issues, 2nd printings, birthday books, etc.

--- Let the books come to you. Don't chase a want list, it only leads to overpaying.

--- Don't chase slabs only. Raws can be just as fun and sometimes more rewarding.

--- Don't chase the CGC Registry. It's a suckers game.

^^

+1

Looks almost perfect to me, except for one additional conclusion:

--- Don't chase CGC labels. That's also definitely a sucker's game.

I am subject to shiny penny syndrome

If I see a book I like it's hard to resist, but the price generally has to be right and I like to know that if I do try to sell it won't be at deep discounts to what I've paid or not sellable.

Buy what you like but avoid drek unless you like drek.

Want list leads to overpaying as I do like having books find me when I travel.

Know your markets and then every book you buy can be enjoyed and at some point profitable.

Don't sell books you really like when you have a stack of other lesser stuff still to sell. The lesser stuff might be great but sell it to acquire those rare gems that are on most want lists.

Sadly run collectors are a dying breed but so are comic collectors in general. Amass what you can but don't try to take it with you.

?

4. Before buying, I ask myself, is this a book that is liquid or, at another extreme, will I have a hard time selling it?

What kind of logic is that? The only collectors who should care about resale value are the ones that are so old that you buy them cookies for Christmas, and hope they live long enough to eat 'em!

Buy what you want, not what someone else wants!

4. Before buying, I ask myself, is this a book that is liquid or, at another extreme, will I have a hard time selling it?

What kind of logic is that? The only collectors who should care about resale value are the ones that are so old that you buy them cookies for Christmas, and hope they live long enough to eat 'em!

It isn't logic at all -- it's a question I ask myself: is the book easily liquid or will I have a hard time selling it? Do you know how many times I have consciously purchased books that command little market interest? More than enough. This is something I ask myself to temper my enthusiasm and going "off-course" from collecting focus, nothing more. Alternatively, it is perfectly OK to also amass books that are easy to unload, so that one can get restock cash and get back on focus.

"Buy what you want, not what someone else wants!" I would modify that to "Buy what you want, and consider whether someone else wants it."

It isn't logic at all -- it's a question I ask myself: is the book easily liquid or will I have a hard time selling it? Do you know how many times I have consciously purchased books that command little market interest? More than enough. This is something I ask myself to temper my enthusiasm and going "off-course" from collecting focus, nothing more. Alternatively, it is perfectly OK to also amass books that are easy to unload, so that one can get restock cash and get back on focus.

"Buy what you want, not what someone else wants!" I would modify that to "Buy what you want, and consider whether someone else wants it."

:applause: Right on!

This is a good sniff test especially when purchasing high $$ books.

My 401k is my investment and my house is an investment.

Comics are fun and only disposable cash goes into them.

You're house is not an investment, it's a liability, you are an asset to your banker because you pay them every month, unless you rent out your house and have tenants pay you, then it's an asset.

Cars, Boats, Houses = Liability

Businesses, Rental Property, Stocks, Bonds and anything else that will give you a ROI is an asset.

This is why the rich stay rich.

This holds true for when I used to collect original artwork. Someone telling me that they were trying to buy a killing joke page on HA one time and the price of the auction just kept going up and up, 25K 35K, 45K ect... So the person trying to come up with the money was trying to sell some pieces to raise the capital, He had this John Cassiday piece he bought cause he liked it, so when he tried to sell it...No one wanted it but him. He couldn't move it. There is a reason why OA want lists all look the same, Everyone wants the same Adams,McFarlane, Kirby, Wrightson, Frazetta, Miller art. Same holds true for comics. If you are buying stuff without a return in mind one day, you might as well just give the cash away. That's all your doing, is wasting money. Not saying don't ever buy anything only you like but keep it to a minimum.

This holds true for when I used to collect original artwork. Someone telling me that they were trying to buy a killing joke page on HA one time and the price of the auction just kept going up and up, 25K 35K, 45K ect... So the person trying to come up with the money was trying to sell some pieces to raise the capital, He had this John Cassiday piece he bought cause he liked it, so when he tried to sell it...No one wanted it but him. He couldn't move it. There is a reason why OA want lists all look the same, Everyone wants the same Adams,McFarlane, Kirby, Wrightson, Frazetta, Miller art. Same holds true for comics. If you are buying stuff without a return in mind one day, you might as well just give the cash away. That's all your doing, is wasting money. Not saying don't ever buy anything only you like but keep it to a minimum.

I couldn't care less about being able to sell my books. They aren't for sale anyway. I buy what I like. If the money meant that much to me, I wouldn't spend it. Some of what I like and collect is very liquid. Some, not so much. Owning it makes me happy. Looking at it makes me smile. I show some of my books to friends, or my wife, and they clearly aren't as into it as I am. That's okay too.

I don't think there's a right answer to this question. :shrug:

You're house is not an investment, it's a liability, you are an asset to your banker because you pay them every month, unless you rent out your house and have tenants pay you, then it's an asset.

Tenants, or you host your own flipping/renovation show on HGTV.

I couldn't care less about being able to sell my books. They aren't for sale anyway. I buy what I like. If the money meant that much to me, I wouldn't spend it. Some of what I like and collect is very liquid. Some, not so much. Owning it makes me happy. Looking at it makes me smile. I show some of my books to friends, or my wife, and they clearly aren't as into it as I am. That's okay too.

You're being too kind. Kevin's answer makes me sad. Having a collection of comics isn't the same as having a collection of assets or a collection of money. People will argue that he's allowed to collect in his own way, and I'll happily disagree.

I've bought books I didn't like because I was supposed to, and guess what? I didn't enjoy them. I don't know if I made a profit selling them, but the opportunity cost of buying those books was picking up other books that would've made me happier. No matter the dollars and cents, I lost.

You're being too kind. Kevin's answer makes me sad. Having a collection of comics isn't the same as having a collection of assets or a collection of money. People will argue that he's allowed to collect in his own way, and I'll happily disagree.

I've bought books I didn't like because I was supposed to, and guess what? I didn't enjoy them. I don't know if I made a profit selling them, but the opportunity cost of buying those books was picking up other books that would've made me happier. No matter the dollars and cents, I lost.

That's cause you are placing an emotional attachment to them. You can collect which ever way you want, collect all 50 cent books if you want, but I don't shell out hundreds or thousands of dollars on books and say to myself "I don't care if it's worthless in 5 years, I have to have it" I do collect books because I do love them, but at the same time, when it comes time to sell, and there will be a time, I would like a ROI.

That's cause you are placing an emotional attachment to them. You can collect which ever way you want, collect all 50 cent books if you want, but I don't shell out hundreds or thousands of dollars on books and say to myself "I don't care if it's worthless in 5 years, I have to have it" I do collect books because I do love them, but at the same time, when it comes time to sell, and there will be a time, I would like a ROI.

Yeah, it's called collecting.

I know it's unusual for a CG thread to be about collecting rather than investing, speculating or flipping, but that's what this thread is about.

No, that doesn't mean you should be clueless about values or pay 10x FMV for a book you want. Also, even your "blue chips" could tank before the time comes for you to sell.