• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your Rarest Comic Book?
3 3

191 posts in this topic

Here's some unique comic related art, anyway:

an early painting of my mother's I didn't recognize for what it was until I saw Hudson's sig.

Guess the art she copied was a swipe of (or the inspiration for) Action 8 cover.

Cqw0Ldp.jpg

YQrhYCk.jpg

The original of that is a painting by N.C. Wyeth. I believe it was originally done as an illustration for an edition of The Last of the Mohicans.

Fred Guardineer swiped it (without attribution) for the cover of Action 8.

N.C. Wyeth was wildly popular during the first half of the 20th century..... well worth a Google image search by any lover of adventure art. His work on the Scribner's Children's Classics is fantastic..... these aren't actually children's books per se, but illustrated editions of the classics. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Years ago I had a chance to see an exhibition of his work at the Brandywine River Museum. Even though his paintings were reduced to the size of a book page when published, his originals were very large. At the exhibition, the originals -- painted as illustrations for Treasure Island, Robinson Crusoe, and other classics -- were very impressive, particularly because the exhibition was set up in a large open gallery so you could stand in the middle and take them all in.

I think those Scribner's editions with Wyeth's illustrations may still be in print. Or, at least, they were when my kids were younger.

I luck out every now and then and snag one of the older ones at a "Friends of the Library" sale. We had an awesome Rare Book dealer's shop here that is unfortunately closed now (he's strictly online....).... and he was a Wyeth aficionado ...... had lots of rare stuff..... promotional calendars, advertising posters, etc......Wyeth was very prolific..... his son Andrew became probably more famous than his pop was. N.C. Wyeth is one of my favorite artists period. GOD BLES...

Don't have anything in the ultra rare category as my older books are lower grade, but for difficulty to get another (in spite of being a modern), probably would be this:

Wolverine #145 Nabisco CGC 9.8 5xSS, 5 Signatures; Stan Lee, Herb Trimpe, Bill Sienkiewicz, Dexter Vines, Len Wein

s-l1600.jpg

(picture is the sellers from a couple years back, dont have access to my own pictures on my work computer)

Don't have anything in the ultra rare category as my older books are lower grade, but for difficulty to get another (in spite of being a modern), probably would be this:

Wolverine #145 Nabisco CGC 9.8 5xSS, 5 Signatures; Stan Lee, Herb Trimpe, Bill Sienkiewicz, Dexter Vines, Len Wein

:o Sweet book!

Edited by GoldCap

(picture is the sellers from a couple years back, dont have access to my own pictures on my work computer)

Sweet Nabisco CBT! :hi:

The original of that is a painting by N.C. Wyeth. I believe it was originally done as an illustration for an edition of The Last of the Mohicans.

Fred Guardineer swiped it (without attribution) for the cover of Action 8.

N.C. Wyeth was wildly popular during the first half of the 20th century..... well worth a Google image search by any lover of adventure art. His work on the Scribner's Children's Classics is fantastic..... these aren't actually children's books per se, but illustrated editions of the classics. GOD BLESS...

Thanks a lot, you guys. Google search found me plenty of useless details about it (history and provenance of cover of Action 8) but off the tops of your heads you gave me more useful information than an hour of digging into it.

Gratuitous pic of Action 8 I found somewhere in sales thread:

DWMgQl9.jpg

Aventura%20295_zps8yx6wrgt.jpg

So am I the only one who sees the major issue with this??? :roflmao:

There is no major issue...

rifleman10.jpg

Who has "the image" to share with the rest of us?

Flee?

I know that Dale has been trying to eradicate it since it first appeared.

I want to know what collectors favorite comic are, or what is the rarest comic you own?

So what is your favorite?

Mine is $0.75 price variant Alice in Wonderland #1 Whitman in about 9.2, or action #4

The rarest I own that anyone would care about would be the South African Super Comix Star Wars or Philippines Star Wars #4. It is possible I have rarer books in my collection, but foreign comics are still in the "discovery" phase of collecting.

Who has "the image" to share with the rest of us?

Flee?

I know that Dale has been trying to eradicate it since it first appeared.

Impossible. It can never be unseen.

Foreign book are where most of the truly rare stuff seems to be these days.

Although some of that will likely change as collectors import more stuff over.

But books from the Philippines, Australia, South Africa, and Lebanon seem to be the most difficult and popular.

One of my recent favorites

Australian Variant of DC 100 Super Spec 4.

It's the only copy I've EVER seen for sale, but I'm sure there are more out there.

WMT1_zpsebenhkkq.jpg