• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your Rarest Comic Book?
3 3

191 posts in this topic

Aventura%20295_zps8yx6wrgt.jpg

So am I the only one who sees the major issue with this??? :roflmao:

This book is an ALL time favorite on the boards.

Holy mess I haven't laughed that hard in awhile...

I know what you're getting on our Christmas Exchange this year.

"Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?" Poor Chuck.

Here's some unique comic related art, anyway:

an early painting of my mother's I didn't recognize for what it was until I saw Hudson's sig.

Guess the art she copied was a swipe of (or the inspiration for) Action 8 cover.

Cqw0Ldp.jpg

YQrhYCk.jpg

I reckon my rarest is Tick # 2 (uncut), signed by Edlund, CGC Sig Series 9.0.

Not the highest sig series of that issue out there but dang tough.

Second rarest?

Probably Spawn # 1 in Japanese, still sealed in the polybag 20 years later.

an early painting of my mother's I didn't recognize for what it was until I saw Hudson's sig.

Guess the art she copied was a swipe of (or the inspiration for) Action 8 cover.

Cqw0Ldp.jpg

YQrhYCk.jpg

The original of that is a painting by N.C. Wyeth. I believe it was originally done as an illustration for an edition of The Last of the Mohicans.

Fred Guardineer swiped it (without attribution) for the cover of Action 8.

Cqw0Ldp.jpg

YQrhYCk.jpg

The original of that is a painting by N.C. Wyeth. I believe it was originally done as an illustration for an edition of The Last of the Mohicans.

N.C. Wyeth was wildly popular during the first half of the 20th century..... well worth a Google image search by any lover of adventure art. His work on the Scribner's Children's Classics is fantastic..... these aren't actually children's books per se, but illustrated editions of the classics. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Cqw0Ldp.jpg

YQrhYCk.jpg

N.C. Wyeth was wildly popular during the first half of the 20th century..... well worth a Google image search by any lover of adventure art. His work on the Scribner's Children's Classics is fantastic..... these aren't actually children's books per se, but illustrated editions of the classics. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Years ago I had a chance to see an exhibition of his work at the Brandywine River Museum. Even though his paintings were reduced to the size of a book page when published, his originals were very large. At the exhibition, the originals -- painted as illustrations for Treasure Island, Robinson Crusoe, and other classics -- were very impressive, particularly because the exhibition was set up in a large open gallery so you could stand in the middle and take them all in.

I think those Scribner's editions with Wyeth's illustrations may still be in print. Or, at least, they were when my kids were younger.