• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's currently on your bookshelf and in your stereo?

190 posts in this topic

Bookshelf-

Me...read? I'm in it for the pictures

Stereo-

Sad, but I rarely listen to music anymore. My wife has the Sirrus Sat Radio and an iPod...all I have is this computer... I do listen to Classic Music to Classic Rock to Progressive Metal.

FFB, what do they play on the 80's alternative?

The Clash, the Smiths, The Clash, English Beat, Love & Rockets, The Clash, The Cure, the Violent Femmes, the Police, The Clash, the Ramones, The Clash, Depeche Mode, New Order, Joy Division, The Clash, and The Clash.

And other stuff like The Clash.

Led Zeppelin: How The West Was Won (live 3CD)

New QOTSA album good?

The new QOTSA is awesome. I like it better than their prior efforts (though Restricted is a good album as well). The first two songs are weak, but the rest is gold.

How is that Zeppelin live album? I absolutely love the BBC sessions (all live broadcasts from 69 and 71). You should pick that up if you don't already have it. Just oozes raw energy.

The BBC sessions is the only official Zeppelin album I don't have

Do you have bootlegs as well? I used to trade Grateful Dead and other jam band live analogs pretty regularly and ended up with a few Zeppelin shows. I also have a Page and Plant bootleg CD with PHENOMENAL sound quality called "Simple Truth". Probably one of the top five live performances I have ever heard.

They (or The Who) are the best bands ever. Depends on how I am feeling that day as to which gets the nod.

Y' gotta love The 'Oo.

I know that all of the tracks on the live Zep 3CD (which features performances at two shows in LA) were at one time important bootlegs, as is the Earls Court '75 gig which doesn't feature on the DVD (they played several nights) - fans consider that gig to be better than the DVD one.

I do have several bootlegs on vinyl and tape that I bought a long time ago - haven't acquired any recently. I'd rather get CD ones - Simple Truth sounds very interesting......

- for leisure reading, the comics I keep in the nightstand for beddy bye if the wife hasn't seen Desperate Housewives that night..( I think I am the gardner)

1. The Truth Machine -James Halperin

2. The Satanic Verses - Salman Rushdie

3.. Book of Angels - Silvia Brown

4. Mommie Dearest - Christina Crawford

5. A Book of Angels - Sophy Burnham

6. The Road Ahead - Bill Gates

7. Endings ( A Sociology of Death and Dying ) Micheal C. Kearl

8. Dr. Martens Air Wair - John Peel

9. The Rommel Papers - Erwin Rommel

10. Star Wars Dark Empire 1 (review for Comics4Kids)

11. Batman in the Eighties (review for Comics4Kids)

12. The Punisher: Business as usual (library for Comic4Kids)

13. The Punisher: The Movie (library for Comics4Kids)

14. The Purpose Driven Life - Rick Warren

15.The American Yoga association's Beginner's Manual - Alice Christensen

16. On Writing - Stephen King

17. The Art of War Sun Tzu - griffith edition

18. Principles of War - Carl Von Clausewitz

19. The Complete Reprinting of John Willie's Bizarre vols. 1-13

20. " " vols. 14-26

that's a half shelf. I don't want to bore you.

I wish I had a copy of "Perfume" though...

In my stereo:

1. tech9ne absolute power

2. brother lynch hung - season of the sick

3. Bone Thugs n Harmony creepin on the come up

4. Coyote Ugly soundtrack

5. Christina Aguilera en espanol E.P.

6. Danny Elfman music for a darkened theatre

7. Gang Related soundtrack

8. [#@$%!!!]

9. Train Drops of Jupiter

10. Menace II society soundtrack

11. The M.G.M. album - Michael Feinstein

12. Avril Lavigne - let go

13. Jennifer Lopez - on the 6

14. Mission Impossible 2 soundtrack

15. Pretenders - the singles

16. Who Cares - live at the Daytona plantation

17. Infection 8

19. Outkast - speakerboxxx/the love below

20. Queen - A kind of Magic (highlander soundtrack)

as you can see, sometimes it's great grandma music, sometimes it the kids are around, and sometimes I'm just full of hate and found a victim...lol

The Clash, the Smiths, The Clash, English Beat, Love & Rockets, The Clash, The Cure, the Violent Femmes, the Police, The Clash, the Ramones, The Clash, Depeche Mode, New Order, Joy Division, The Clash, and The Clash.

That reminds me, must play some Clash......

I saw the Clash in their first US show way back when (late 70's), in NYC. I have the tix stub somewhere around here.

I saw the Clash in their first US show way back when (late 70's), in NYC. I have the tix stub somewhere around here.

That is way cool

what did you think of Burning Down London?

Recent reads:

Robert Burton's Anatomy of Melancholy (still working on this one, it's massive)

Alchemy: The Philsopher's Stone by Alison Coudert

The Bruce Wayne: Fugitive trades

Recent rereads:

The Occult Philosophy in the Elizabethan Age by Frances Yates

John Milton's Paradise Regained

Middleton's The Revenger's Tragedy

Sandman: Season of Mists

On the CD player:

Tom Waits---Real Gone

Bob Dylan---Street Legal

Elvis Costello---My Aim is True

Diamanda Galas--Malediction & Prayer

Also listening to a lot of Air America Radio in the car as of late...can't make up my mind if I like it or not. Scares me to death that I'm on the same side of the political fence as Jerry Springer.

Oddly enough, I hated the Clash in high school. I can't explain why -- it makes absolutely no sense. I really like them a lot now. frustrated.gif

Just finished reading the new book from Steven R. Donaldson,"The Runes of the Earth". The first book of the third Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

I don't have a stereo. I haven't had one for over 20 years. But I have a 100 disk cd jukebox. With a variety of music. From Elvis - Simon & Garfunkle to Korns greatest hits. Just bought a new Green Day cd yesterday.

Scares me to death that I'm on the same side of the political fence as Jerry Springer.

If you haven't paid for prostitutes with a city check you're one up on him. thumbsup2.gif

shrunkenhead :

sounds like you work at CGC blaring the Costello and wearing your shades while grading 27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gif You know, when they posted that job search thing that Newt got, I had a brief moment of insanity where I thought about chucking my academic career and going to apply. But then my cat Marvin gave me a sad sad look that said "But how will you feed me?"

2. The Satanic Verses - Salman Rushdie

I wanted to teach this one this semester, but I was told by the PTB (powers that be) that it was "too long." frustrated.gif

yes 547 pages is a stretch for weekend reading (cause you know they'd wait till the last minute-) can't we make a Classics Illustrated or cliffnotes for this? 27_laughing.gif

Which reminds me of a KILLER long book I read and would reread again if I had one, Swan Song by Robert McCammon. (sp?)