• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daredevil 169 ?? Originally Coverless + Printer Adds Cover Manually

8 posts in this topic

I've heard stories of books that came off the press damaged or without covers and the printer adds a cover to make the print run correct.

This book came from an oo collection and has 4 staples. 2 that only go through the interior pages and 2 more that go through the whole book (cover and interior). The cover is slightly oversized on the sides and bottom. You can see from the staple patterns that two different stapling systems or staplers were used. So do you think the printer did this, hence the oversize cover or is this just a bad frankenstein.. Unique and collectable or just laughable. Thanks

dare%201_zpswfudwsgy.jpg

dare%202_zpsujlh2tqe.jpg

dare%203_zpscmgdqkpm.jpg

dare%204_zpsroo2wfkd.jpg

ASM 129 for $3.......

:cloud9:

-- really have to look at the staples and how they are attached -

if they appear to be from the same period, have the same amount of visible ageing - and the folds/shape look to be the same - then more than likely the book was coverless with added cover at production.

If things do not look the same --- then there is a chance that someone added the cover after the fact.

DiceX explained it once but I'm too lazy to go find the thread. In a nutshell, a test batch of interiors gets run and stapled to make sure everything is aligned, calibrated and looks good. Once the covers are run they will oftentimes attach covers to these because there's no sense in throwing out perfectly good product.

Here's Dicey's explanation: Link.

Your answer is here...

Hi; hi.gif I got another little manafacturing error that I have been wandering about for a while. I have two comics a Defenders 50 and a Marvel Tales 82 and I did have a Peter Parker 7 that all have two sets of staples in other words two at the top and two at the bottom what I found strange about this is that one set of staples is inside the cover and the other set holds the cover on and all three of these comics are like that. It is like the comic was stapled together without the cover and then they sent it back through and stapled a cover over it confused-smiley-013.gif did this ever happen ???

Cosmic,

I asked DiceX the same question a few months ago. Here is his reply:

I received the book today.

It looks to me like it was a "hand bound reject".

I'll try to explain it...

A publisher requires a certain number of books to be produced.

During the bindery run, they have enough raw product to produce the run + a percentage predicted by the bindery allowed for waste.

Say the run is 100,000 books and the bindery expects 3% waste...They receive 103,000 books worth of raw product.

During the run there are books that jam up in the binder, or have odd flaws (untrimmed, unstapled, no cover, etc.).

Those books are stacked to the side until the end of the run.

When the raw product has been depleated, if the count doesn't add up to what the publisher ordered, they have to find a way to fill the order.

They go through the "reject" skid to find any books that can be salvaged. There is usually nothing wrong with them, they just have been produced incorrectly.

They take those books and piece together what they can.

These books are bound by hand, stitched (stapled) by hand, then hand trimmed on a flatbed cutter. Whatever they have to do on a book by book basis.

After "pulling rejects", if the order still has not been filled, they have to go back to press to run enough raw pieces to finish it off.

The book you sent looks like it was produced without a cover.

The body of the book had already been stapled, so a fresh cover was placed on the book and stitched onto the body. (The second set of staples)

The staples are done by hand, so that would explain why they were off centered.

There are no other staple holes in the cover, so it was definately a raw cover that was placed on the book.

Afterwards it was hand trimmed on a flatbed.

No doubt in my mind that the book left the factory this way.

I don't know if this book would have passed through CGC without a purple label, because I don't know if they would have been able to tell it was a factory error.

wink.gif