• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is "Infinity Gauntlet" the magnum opus of all Marvel stories?

Marvel magnum opus  

333 members have voted

1. 1. Marvel magnum opus

73 posts in this topic

Art-wise Infinity Gauntlet is without doubt my favourite event story :cloud9:

It's a shame that George Perez didn't manage to do the entire series. Ron Lim was a bit patchy.

Infinity Gauntlet 4 was a great battle issue but as far as best stories go, Dark Phoenix is it.

For me it's a toss-up between Infinity Gauntlet and Civil War.

Infinity Gauntlet came at the perfect time, as I was 14 and it was amazing.

But Civil War was _so_ well done (esp. if one compares it to say...Secret Wars). I also think you can include Planet Hullk in the Civil War storyline, as he was specifically sent off-planet to avoid the conflict.

In my neck of the woods, Civil War was hated for its poor characterization of just about everyone involved... Funny you should compare it to Secret Wars, the characterization in that series was perfect. If Marvel had a new writer who didn't know anything about the characters, you could hand them Secret Wars, and they'd be up to speed.

Maybe we should retitle the thread "Is Infinity Gauntlet the story with the best crash-bang issue of all Marvel stories?" You may want to check out Fantastic Four 250, that's my favorite battle issue.

In my neck of the woods, Civil War was hated for its poor characterization of just about everyone involved... Funny you should compare it to Secret Wars, the characterization in that series was perfect. If Marvel had a new writer who didn't know anything about the characters, you could hand them Secret Wars, and they'd be up to speed.

This is true in my neck of the woods, too. I thought the nearly universal consensus on Civil War is that it was a turd: an excellent concept with poor execution. I mean, Iron Man kind of comes off as a straight lunatic at parts of it if memory serves. A lot of the characterization felt ham-fisted, like they had a visual story they wanted to tell so they glossed over a lot of character history to justify the visual direction. I mean, doesn't it seem odd that a guy who went to any length to protect Iron Man from government acquisition for so long would suddenly and quickly have a change of heart because of "fear of what would happen if he didn't support registration?" Seemed sort of wonky to me at the time.

I still feel that story would have made more sense if they had had Nick Fury head the Pro-Registration side, but that probably wouldn't have sold as many comic books. :/

I personally think that Annihilation is probably Marvel's single greatest event story to date. I still get chills thinking about Nova meeting with the Silver Surfer and being awed by his power, or when he killed Annihlus by tearing him inside out, or when he went to Earth during the Civil War immediately following annihilation, and felt the conflict was so petty, so low in scope after fighting off the Annihilation wave. Such a great story.

Infinity Gauntlet was huge for me, as those books were really epic and special, as I had just started collecting not terribly long before, and I had no local shop.

I went and bought them all CGC 9.8 as well.

It's not the best story, although it's great to me. It's the first comic event I recall being something special and mattering, so can't be replaced

I preferred Jim Starlin's Captain Marvel opus above Infinity Gauntlet.

i couldn't get into his CM stuff but I'd put his Warlock stuff against anything.

I preferred Jim Starlin's Captain Marvel opus above Infinity Gauntlet.

i couldn't get into his CM stuff but I'd put his Warlock stuff against anything.

I never read the Warlock stuff until I was an adult. I read the CM stuff as a kid and as an adult and it held up very well for me.

The Warlock stuff I felt was OK ( loved the art ), but the story felt like something I would've liked better when I was 15-16.

The Kree/Skrull War in Avengers was pretty good back in the day.

The Conan the Barbarian run with Belit from 58 to 100 really rocked, but I don't think that falls into this category.

Yeah Planet Hulk was probably the best Hulk story arc I ever read, that one is up there.

While Infinity Gauntlet isn't my best, I'd say it's up there...follows the whole biblical Warlock/Man-Beast/High Evolutionary story and Captain Marvel/Thanos stories, etc.

I recently 're-read the Warlocks and while they are visually outstanding, I didn't care for the stories. I pretty much feel the same about the original run as well. The best Warlock story arc is his death in the Hulk, imo.

On the other hand, the Thanos Saga holds up well for me. #29 got a little bit preachy and some of the panels make Rob Liefield look like Monet, but it's still my favorite arc of all time.

I liked the Marvel Zombies run.

I'm probably the only one though.

Amusing quirky and totally different.

I'd love to see a movie based on it one day!

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "Age of Apocalypse" yet.

Best Marvel storylines for me are some combination of (1) Age of Apocalypse, (2) Phoenix/Dark Phoenix, and (3) Infinity Gauntlet

I think this has a lot do with when you started reading comics and then after reading your generations comics how far back you went to find older material of your favourite characters.

The 1st couple issues are good with the Perez art, but the story and artwork take a dive shortly after. It's good, but I wouldn't rate it in the top 25 Marvel stories. The average issue of Byrne X-Men or FF often beats it. Planet Hulk is better also.

The 1st couple issues are good with the Perez art, but the story and artwork take a dive shortly after. It's good, but I wouldn't rate it in the top 25 Marvel stories. The average issue of Byrne X-Men or FF often beats it.

Mentioning Byrne X-Men, one favourite of mine, which I believe is terribly underrated, is the Proteus storyline. The Byrne FF run, from issue 232, is consistently inventive and enjoyable.