• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have a Graphic Novel coming out about early fandom, collecting and cosplay.

72 posts in this topic

Hi Ron.... any objections to me ordering this book on Amazon? I see they have a few copies available. I know you put a lot of work into this book and I'd like to get a copy..... being an old '70s comic con guy myself

Hi, Senormac. No objections at all. I looked for it on Amazon and didn't see it. I will check again. I searched the title yesterday night and the name comes up in several places. So I think it is getting the promotion it needs. I am also looking forward to an interview on Bleeding Cool which will definitely raise people's awareness for the book (thanks, Mark).

EDIT: I just checked Amazon again. Someone is selling it discounted. Someone is selling it used and it hasn't even been printed yet. Several people are selling it at slightly jacked up prices. The Kindle editions are up at two bucks a pop. I guess that all means that Caliber is doing what it can to sell it. It certainly makes me happy.

Edited by That Ron Dude

FWIW, I was lucky enough to preview most of the story, and I have to say I was really surprised and drawn into it. I felt like a time machine had thrust me back into the sometimes seedy setting of Midnight Cowboy and Taxi Driver, and offered a narrow glimpse into the lives of a few young, emerging adults, who had embarked on a journey to the dark and often sobering reality of a large gathering of comic book fans -- many young and naive, others older, wiser, and sometimes exploitative. I found myself cheering for the protagonist, as he navigated this new and uncertain world coupled with courage and a big heart. I really look forward to seeing it translated to the big screen, someday.

I'm really glad that Ron went with the more alluring and secretive cover, because the interior really does deliver a much more wondrous, surprising, and often moving tale, than one might expect from a simple cover showing a few 'geeks' hanging around in a comic convention.

Well, Bronze, yours is my best review yet. If you are so inclined cut it and paste it into the review section at Amazon. I also look forward to seeing it as on the big screen but for now, I will be as happy to see it distributed by Diamond.

I live on a short street. The numbers go up only to 99. This might represent 250 people living here. If you count me, there are four people that I know of just on this block who are writing film scripts. Extrapolate that to Toronto and you have 40,000 people writing them. To Canada, roughly 500,000 film scripts on the go. That seems about right. Move it to America and we have 5 million. So, given that, I figure my chances of getting it made into a movie are about one in ten. Just kidding.

Seriously though, there used to be a guy in town name Kaja Blackley who wrote and drew comics. He also published them. He was a bright guy but used to tell stories that were questionable. They'd start with phrases like, "Last night I was having supper with the Chairman of the Board of GM..." People didn't know what to think. I mean, somebody eats supper with the Chairman of the Board of GM-- why not Kaja? But a lot of people tell tall tales-- why not Kaja there? One day there was a half page article in the Globe, Canada's premier newspaper on Kaja's optioning his comic for film. The local comics geeks were talking about it. "How does he get an article on his OPTION." Everybody, it seemed, had options but the Globe didn't much care about anybody but Kaja.

Anyway, the film was actually made. Monkeybones with Brendan Fraser. It was based on one of Kaja's comics. It tanked but who cares. He did it. Maybe he also ate supper with the Chairman of GM. What a world. I haven't seen Kaja in many years. He was a nice guy. I hope things continued to go well for him.

Hi, Goldust. Thanks for your kind words. I am honestly surprised to hear that the book even exists. I assumed that it wouldn't be arriving at its destinations until January 11th. I have to write to Caliber and find out what is going on.

The reviews have been good thus far and I am proud of it. I hope you enjoy reading it. If you find it to be a clunker please do not put up a review but if you like it and you're up to it, I can use all the positive reviews I can get.

I know about Pekar, Clowes, and Seth and I love them all. I am not sure if my development has been parallel to their's or influenced by their's. I think Pekar opened the door to this type of story. I know Seth writes himself into fictitious stories and several people have assumed this story to be true though I don't think even 10% of it is true. I think of my artistic influences as being Tintin, Archie and Marvel comics from the time I write about. I think you can see the Marvel particular in the lettering and inking.

I am not sure where the story came from. A few of the guys have told me to write down the long comic fan anecdotes I have a habit of yacking about over our Friday night meals of cheap Chinese Food. Instead, I wrote snippets that are more interesting than my anecdotes, then figured out a bad guy and the subplot which is the love story. Believe me, when I was seventeen not only did I not know any girls, I didn't even know anybody that knew any girls. So that part is pure wish fulfillment.

One other thing. In the book I wrote a special thank you to Bill Schelly whom I have never met. He wrote an autobiography which is probably unexceptional to most readers but absolutely marvellous for a certain kind of person. I loved it and most of the people who are on this board would love it, too. The story in a sentence is that fandom was important in his life, he wanted to be an artist but he wasn't good enough. The kicker is that being a comic artist (back in 1973 anyway) was a rotten job for most. I read his bio and thought, "My story is the same". So my story was inspired by Bill Schelly's story, but with a girl friend, a bad guy, a hero with foibles and, if I did it right, many of the other things that make a fictional story interesting.

Edited by That Ron Dude

Apparently, it is out on Amazon. It is in circulation with Diamond and will appear as expected in comic stores. It is even #16 on the Amazon popularity list in one obscure category (which might have only 16 books in it). Anyway, I slept well last night. Thank you all for your many kindnesses.

#16 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Comics & Graphic Novels > Historical & Literary > Historical Fiction

For%20Mark%20NY%20Page.jpg

I look forward to checking this out. The only problem is the accuracy - NYC water tastes great.

lol

Just wait till they start bottling Oregon water. Fresh from the sky :)

For%20Mark%20NY%20Page.jpg

I look forward to checking this out. The only problem is the accuracy - NYC water tastes great.

Thanks again, to all who have given their encouragement in the many ways people can give encouragement.

Now down to brass tacks. So, you say New York water tastes great, eh? Eh, eh, eh, eh, eh?

The first person to proofread the manuscript was a former New Yorker from the Bronx then Long Island who insisted that I change my commentary on NYH2O because New York water was famous for its purity and excellent taste. I told him to suck eggs which, to me, would taste much better than NY water.

Could it be that any food or drink a person is brought up on tastes good? I mean, as a kid we ate anchovy sandwiches (really) and I just can't understand it when people don't want anchovies on a pizza.

It could also be that New York water just tastes different than Toronto water. It could be that all the hormones, filtered medications and doggie poop in the water table add a certain little something to Toronto water which tastes great to everyone here. I admit that is a possibility. But when I first went to New York thinking that water was water, it tasted different. I remember-- it was flat and metallic, but probably a little piece of heaven to a New Yorker.

I hope that settles everything.

Sincerely,

Ron Kasman

Edited by That Ron Dude

The only problem is the accuracy - NYC water tastes great.

it's actually not that terrible, but water from city to city is different and to someone who's not used to traveling it can be off putting.