• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about "pebbeling"

21 posts in this topic

Anyone have an idea of how much cgc takes off for pebbeling? I have a 9.4 on the way to me. Only grader note says pebbeling lower right back cover. I'm assuming if I can get the pebbeling fixed I'll at least get a 9.6. But do you think they'd go 9.8?

Thanks

pebbling

could in theory be possible - but you might have to look over how much of the book has pebbling -

the graders notes - especially on higher grades - do not always have everything in there - there might be a slight corner blunt or spine tic in there too --

depending on the book - a press and resubmit might not be worth the cost -

Anyone have an idea of how much cgc takes off for pebbeling? I have a 9.4 on the way to me. Only grader note says pebbeling lower right back cover. I'm assuming if I can get the pebbeling fixed I'll at least get a 9.6. But do you think they'd go 9.8?

Thanks

Who improperly pressed your comic book?

Thanks

:hi:

could in theory be possible

Cool thank you

We would need to see the book before calling it a 9.6, 9.8 etc.

Just need to know if it's possible. I'm wondering what they take off for pebbling, 1 point, 2 point or what...

Since the pebbling is likely just in one small spot I doubt i'll get the 9.8 but i'll be happy with a 9.6

I don't know, I bought it in the slab

:hi:

:hi: right back at you

If CGC notes a defect as pebbling, there is no specific downgrade. Depending on the flaws on the rest of the book and the quality of presser involved it could come back a 9.6 or 9.8. Depending on the flaws on the rest of the book and quality of presser involved it could come back 9.2 or 9.4. The only thing your guaranteed is burning time and spending money.

Just need to know if it's possible. I'm wondering what they take off for pebbling, 1 point, 2 point or what...

Since the pebbling is likely just in one small spot I doubt i'll get the 9.8 but i'll be happy with a 9.6

That's like me asking if a book can get a 9.6 without the tear.

Who knows. If the book otherwise looks like an 8.0 then, no even without the teat it will never get a 9.6

That's why threads like this are really impossible to answer without a good look at the book in question.

That's like me asking if a book can get a 9.6 without the tear.

Who knows. If the book otherwise looks like an 8.0 then, no even without the teat it will never get a 9.6

That's why threads like this are really impossible to answer without a good look at the book in question.

Not sure why it's impossible but OK thanks for chiming in,

Because we have no idea what the rest of the book looks like.

It's like me asking you if I died my hair a shade lighter if would I be blonde. There's no point of reference.

The CGC 9.4 grade given previous is not enough.

Because we have no idea what the rest of the book looks like.

It's like me asking you if I died my hair a shade lighter if would I be blonde. There's no point of reference.

The CGC 9.4 grade given previous is not enough.

I shouldn't have mentioned that I have a 9.4 coming to me. Should have left that out. My question was simply, what does cgc take off for pebbeling. I didn't ask anyone to grade my book. Thanks.

Again, it's impossible to answer.

There is no direct equation for any defect. It is entirely dependent on what the rest of the book is like.

It's all relative.

There is no direct equation for any defect. It is entirely dependent on what the rest of the book is like.

It's all relative.

A better explanation is that the book is viewed effectively as starting at 10.0 and is then downgraded defect by defect. There is no chart that says "pebbling is -2 off." An otherwise perfect book with slight pebbling may get a 9.8. A book that otherwise would have been a 9.4 may drop to 9.0 with pebbling because of the cumulative effect of all the defects.

Anyone trying to turn grading into a math problem is doomed to frustration. It is far more art than science.

It's all relative.

A better explanation is that the book is viewed effectively as starting at 10.0 and is then downgraded defect by defect. There is no chart that says "pebbling is -2 off." An otherwise perfect book with slight pebbling may get a 9.8. A book that otherwise would have been a 9.4 may drop to 9.0 with pebbling because of the cumulative effect of all the defects.

Anyone trying to turn grading into a math problem is doomed to frustration. It is far more art than science.

so true --

and while I said it is possible that the book can be pressed properly and come back 9.8......

it is also possible that the book can come back 8.5 ......

pressing and resubmitting - is tricky and at a 9.4 there is not a lot of room to improve - so you had better be sure that the imperfections are press able - and also that it is worth the cost and time it will take.......

Related question, is it possible for comic books to come pebbled straight from production? Curious because I'm trying to find a nice copy of one comic (no one's selling their slabs) and thus far, all the raws I've gotten from ebay seem to have some pebbling. It's a cheap book (less than $5) so I can't imagine why anyone would even bother pressing it.

It's all relative.

After reading this, I'm inclined to believe that even though there are (unpublished?) guidelines that CGC (& other graders) use, each grader could come to a slightly different conclusion based on his (or hers) nuances/style/way of grading. Am I correct here?

After reading this, I'm inclined to believe that even though there are (unpublished?) guidelines that CGC (& other graders) use, each grader could come to a slightly different conclusion based on his (or hers) nuances/style/way of grading. Am I correct here?

You are basically asking if people can have different opinions. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Yes.

You are basically asking if people can have different opinions. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Yes.

And as many of us remember, they used to have the subgrades and the finishing grade available in the Grader Notes. So that was prima facie evidence that often the initial graders and the finisher disagreed.