• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you have a PREFERENCE?

WHICH DO YOU PREFER?  

246 members have voted

1. 1. WHICH DO YOU PREFER?

21 posts in this topic

Chris, which one is which?

The newsstand copy has a square price box and no line through the UPC code. The easy way to remember this is that Direct Market copies back then didn't need UPC codes, so the code will either be missing or will have a line through it.

Of course, now that so many comic stores have UPC scanning devices, direct market copies have UPC codes without lines on them.

Thanks Scott. thumbsup2.gif

Do you have a preferred version ? confused-smiley-013.gif

I voted for newsstand. I prefer not to have the line through the UPC and I like the consistency between the Marvel Comics Group banner at the top and the rectangular price box. The diamond price box on the direct edition leaves a large, blank, black area at the top that doesn't look as nice as on the newsstand version.

Would I spend any more or less on either copy, all other things being equal? Nope. But if they both cost the same and were otherwise equal, I'd take the newsstand copy.

Thanks Scott. thumbsup2.gif

Do you have a preferred version ? confused-smiley-013.gif

I voted for newsstand. I prefer not to have the line through the UPC and I like the consistency between the Marvel Comics Group banner at the top and the rectangular price box. The diamond price box on the direct edition leaves a large, blank, black area at the top that doesn't look as nice as on the newsstand version.

Would I spend any more or less on either copy, all other things being equal? Nope. But if they both cost the same and were otherwise equal, I'd take the newsstand copy.

I voted for BOTH . Not that I seek out particular versions, but accumulating doubles of some issues...I usually end up having one of each.

In most cases...the direct versions turn out to be of higher grade than my newsstands.

As for which version is more visually appealing...I kinda prefer the black diamond directs. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

ataskmaster.jpg

planning ahead to a possible vatiant crazy/conscious future, I vote on this book (from this time period) for the Direct copy. Just as today the newsstand copies are scarcer by 10-one, back in the early days when Direct Market was just starting, the Directs were printed in far less numbers.

So IF some day this becomes a price/scarcity issue, the scarcer ones will be the valuable variant copies. Maybe.

planning ahead to a possible vatiant crazy/conscious future, I vote on this book (from this time period) for the Direct copy. Just as today the newsstand copies are scarcer by 10-one, back in the early days when Direct Market was just starting, the Directs were printed in far less numbers.

Yeah, but at least half of the newsstand issues were returned unsold, and the ones that were sold tended to get beat up a lot more than direct market copies. DM copies were handled with kid gloves by comic store owners and comic collectors. Even from the early direct market days, I have an easier time finding HG direct market copies than I do newsstand copies.

So IF some day this becomes a price/scarcity issue, the scarcer ones will be the valuable variant copies. Maybe.

Interesting point. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif