• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How about a Dan DeCarlo thread?
1 1

173 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, Monkeyman said:

I'm not familiar with Archie. Why is this a key?

Mike

Sorry.

That issue contains the first appearance (jointly with Josie #1) of Josie (later Josie and the pussycats).

CGC was a bit slow before finally noting it on their slabs.

From wiki:

Josie was introduced approximately simultaneously in Archie's Pals 'n' Gals #23 (Winter 1962-1963), and in her own title.The first issue of She's Josie, cover-dated February (1963), came out in December, 1962 -- at the same time as the issue of Archie's Pals 'n' Gals.

Edited by N e r V

On 3/23/2017 at 0:08 PM, N e r V said:

Not at all a classic cover but a slightly interesting Dan Decarlo book to own.

e6316e126c90cab457a2d9e5fc08c21e47c0b629

Nice copy.  Important Archie to own, imo. (And, no, I'm not trying to sell a copy! :) ) I like the cover independently of the Josie angle.

I read somewhere once that Josie was based on his wife of the same name, and the idea for Josie and the Pussycats came from a cat costume she wore on a cruise they took together, if I recall correctly. 

At the time that he got the go-ahead for the She's Josie title, he and Stan Lee were jointly trying to market a daily comic strip about a postman named...Willie Lumpkin. So Stan folded they character into the FF cast when they abandoned the project. Wish I could find the source, but that's about how the article went.

I took a risk and bought this on eBay assuming the marks were mold caused by water damage.  I received it yesterday and I'm pretty sure it is mold.  I'm going to take it to a framing place near my house that sends things out for cleaning.  I had a good experience getting a Decarlo piece deacidified (i.e. detanned).  I'll post the results when I get the piece back.  If it works I'll be way ahead on price as I paid $375 and these Decarlo Humorama cartoons seem to be selling around $2,000 in good shape.

Decarlo.jpg

Decarlo back.jpg

This was already posted once..... but I was curious about it due to the run's notoriety, and it didn't disappoint.... pretty darn cool.... very polished art. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

wWQPyli.jpg

56 minutes ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:

I couldn't resist getting this one. :smile:

Sherry_03.jpg

Sir, your well earned nickname is "The Cheesecake Factory"

You have such great high grade GGA like the above. Maybe down the road someday there will be a "Lady Luck" auction.  :wishluck:

Awesome book!

Edited by Ricksneatstuff