• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How about a Dan DeCarlo thread?
1 1

173 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I have to admit that in an effort to narrow the old collecting focus a bit, I've jumped off the DeCarlo bandwagon. But I sent this one in for grading and it turned out pretty well. It's now the highest graded, ahead of three 4.0s. 

Still waiting for Brian's band of wizened collectors to uncork their hoards of 9.2s. :)

61044f02-278e-4f48-b780-b3fbffb00658_zps

Really sweet book. 

2 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Am I right that that price seems low? (I don't buy much OA.)

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

Not really. Current market for DeCarlo interior Archie pages are about $300-$400. This story is definitely one of the earlier ones that has come to market and lots of nice DeCarlo Betty and Veronica.  Thought I might get a good buy at $1700. Mad I didn't bid more because I think it's seriously undervalued by the market. 

Just now, ThothAmon said:
8 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Not really. Current market for DeCarlo interior Archie pages are about $300-$400. This story is definitely one of the earlier ones that has come to market and lots of nice DeCarlo Betty and Veronica.  Thought I might get a good buy at $1700. Mad I didn't bid more because I think it's seriously undervalued by the market. 

Ah, ok.  Seems like $300 to $400 per page is pretty cheap given his popularity.  But I'm guessing that the supply may be plentiful.

Just now, Sqeggs said:

Ah, ok.  Seems like $300 to $400 per page is pretty cheap given his popularity.  But I'm guessing that the supply may be plentiful.

The funny thing is there is hardly any twice up art supply.  I've got a few stories from the 50's but I'm guessing lots of them are locked down in some large collections. 

2 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I have a handful of DeCarlo pages.  Would love a Jetta splash!:cloud9:

I imagine this would go for considerably more today: https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/dan-decarlo-jetta-6-what-a-specimen-complete-8-page-story-original-art-standard-1953-/a/7059-93341.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Oh, no.  The only DeCarlo art I have is one Archie newspaper daily. 

Coollines has that OA.  That splash was around 2-2.5k.

I bought page 2 at what I thought was a reasonable price at NYCC and spent quality time with the brilliant Sqeggs.

Jetta6P2.jpg

12 minutes ago, BitterOldMan said:

I bought page 2 at what I thought was a reasonable price at NYCC and spent quality time with the brilliant Sqeggs.

Jetta6P2.jpg

Great stuff! I've talked to CoolLines about a few pieces. Have not pulled the trigger with them yet. 

12 hours ago, BitterOldMan said:

Jetta6P2.jpg

Well, part of what you say there is accurate! :)