• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 25 Wolverine related comic books by value and importance

38 posts in this topic

1. Hulk 181

2. Hulk 180

3. Giant Size 1

4. X Men 94

5.Wolverine LS 1

All the rest is just :blahblah:

I agree. No modern chit should be on the list.

The last 9.8 copy of 102.5 to be offered sold for $2 grand. Saying "no modern" when talking strictly value is idiotic.

+1

Hulk 182 and Wolverine 1 (1988) should be on the list as well. Last 9.8 sale I saw for 182 was around $1500 if memory serves, and the 10.0 copy of Wolverine 1 went for over $17 grand a few months ago.

I'd also nominate X-Men 109 and 121 for consideration as they might land at the bottom of the list.

Looking at recent ebay sales the X-23 (2010) variants are both above $500 in 9.8. Wolverine does appear in the book. Also one could include NYX 3 which is Wolverine related (first appearance of his clone) although he does not appear in the book himself.

Looking at recent ebay sales the X-23 (2010) variants are both above $500 in 9.8. Wolverine does appear in the book. Also one could include NYX 3 which is Wolverine related (first appearance of his clone) although he does not appear in the book himself.

Yah, I pulled out the X-23 books from the lists submitted because they are all that character has, so I felt it was tough to put them into a wolverine list, though they are connected in a way.

What are your thoughts, can NYX #3 really be called a Wolverine book? I mean, does Wolverine V2 #10 count then as a wolverine book as well (rather than a Sabretooth book)? Seems like the line has to be drawn somewhere

Hulk 182 and Wolverine 1 (1988) should be on the list as well. Last 9.8 sale I saw for 182 was around $1500 if memory serves, and the 10.0 copy of Wolverine 1 went for over $17 grand a few months ago.

I'd also nominate X-Men 109 and 121 for consideration as they might land at the bottom of the list.

updated

Yah, I pulled out the X-23 books from the lists submitted because they are all that character has, so I felt it was tough to put them into a wolverine list, though they are connected in a way.

What are your thoughts, can NYX #3 really be called a Wolverine book? I mean, does Wolverine V2 #10 count then as a wolverine book as well (rather than a Sabretooth book)? Seems like the line has to be drawn somewhere

Wolverine is on the cover and is the title character of V2 #10 so it is clearly a Wolverine book even though its value may not quite make the top 25.

Wolverine appears in X-23 but is not the title character. You can say the same about Hulk 180 and 182 (although 180, his first cameo should clearly be considered a Wolverine book).

X-23 does not include a Wolverine appearance but X-23 is essentially one of his children so it deserves some consideration especially since she has become the new Wolverine in the Marvel Universe.

Don't forget about Avengers #66, the first appearance of Adamantium. Wolverine's bones were covered in that stuff, then it was pulled out of him, then it was put back on. That should make the list too! doh!

And Wolverine was part of the Weapon X program which also has strong ties to Deadpool. So we should probably include New Mutants 98 and all these high priced Deadpool variants as well. doh!

Oh, and let's not forget about Wolverine's healing factor. I heard Superman also has a healing factor, and his first appearance is Action Comics #1. Seeing as this is generally considered the highest value comic in the world, it definitely should be #1 on the list. doh!

Lastly, why has no one mentioned "Journey: The Adventures of Wolverine MacAlistaire"? Afterall, this book features the 1st appearance of Joshua MacAlistaire and also has "Wolverine" in the title! doh!

You can make this list as open ended and general as you want, but then people are going to lose their *spoon* arguing about why "their book" should be included.

But is it really that hard to come up with a pure Wolverine list? What immediately comes to mind when I say the following terms?

1) Hulk #180/181

2) Wolverine & the X-Men #4 (Venom variant)

3) X-23 #1 (Dell'Otto variant)

4) Uncanny X-Force 20 (Venom Variant)

Here are my immediate reactions and whether or not I would include or exclude them from a pure Wolverine list:

1) 1st appearance of Wolverine (INCLUDED)

2) Wolverine book, Venom variant (INCLUDED)

3) X-23 book (EXCLUDED)

4) Uncanny X-Force book, Venom variant (EXCLUDED)

At the end of the day, ask yourself, "Is this really a Wolverine book, or am I just trying to add my $1/$5/$10 bin find into the conversation so I can feel like I'm included in something?"

Ok, I took a first stab at ordering some of them.

In my original post I said most valuable and most desirable..

So I try to order them in two waves. First the historically significant books, then the rare variants, each wave being generally ordered by value on to itself. If it was done just by value, then some of the variants would be well above books like LS#1 which defeats the purpose.

Anyway, should be enough to get some good arguing going and we can adjust and continue to round out to 25.

Wolverine was my favorite character as a kid and it was the first title I backtracked and collected back to issue # 1 (# 18 was my first off the stands).

But as someone who stopped buying the title monthly at # 81, I'm glad all of these BS limited variants came later.

Now I'd love to see a list of the top 25 most valuable Punisher books, if only because I can't think of any break-the-bank variants for that character. Somehow seems...I don't know, more pure.

Just saying...as a collector I will _never_ care about Wolverine 102.5 or 145 Nabisco the way I care about X-Men # 131 or even X-Men # 205, market value be damned.

:flamed:

I enjoyed xmen 205 from xmen cartoon's lady deathstrike: I agree for the most part with you and everyone else, it is the age from when I was a kid and those younger than me I can see how they are partial as well and some mixes between age differences as well....

I don't see a kid buying the nabisco variant and growing up and CGC'ing and getting a 9.8, but I bought my 205 after I got older :blahblah: so there is a tolerance to me

Wolverine was my favorite character as a kid and it was the first title I backtracked and collected back to issue # 1 (# 18 was my first off the stands).

But as someone who stopped buying the title monthly at # 81, I'm glad all of these BS limited variants came later.

Now I'd love to see a list of the top 25 most valuable Punisher books, if only because I can't think of any break-the-bank variants for that character. Somehow seems...I don't know, more pure.

Just saying...as a collector I will _never_ care about Wolverine 102.5 or 145 Nabisco the way I care about X-Men # 131 or even X-Men # 205, market value be damned.

I don't disagree, and the goal in starting to list things numerically is to get the debate rolling. I stopped pulling Wolverine v1 at #104 so I only last about 2 years longer than you.

102.5, and 145 are the rare variants from that series, and as a somewhat OCD/completionist I have always had an interest in having every book from the series.

With some of the X-Men books recommended so far, I havent yet placed them on the list because a lot of them (Phoenix books, 1st alpha flight, etc) have other significant collector reasons for owning them.

It's tough to balance fake rarity (books only valuable in high grade, or limited production variants) with actual desirability, but what I threw on there so far was my best attempt.

The 1st series mail-away variants I think have a legit claim to a high position, and the controversial "tear covers off other books" variants definitely belong in a list of important books within the hobby as whole, so the wolverine one seems valid.

Some of these brand new variants dont really have a track record which is why I haven't placed them on the list *yet*. At least one or two of them seem to be pure CGC Board pump-and-sell type books.

I placed Old-Man Logan variant on the list despite being newer, because it's tied to a classic story, and now a movie loosely as well.

I am by no means the arbiter of the final list, as I said, just doing my best to keep the discussion rolling forward.

Hulk 340

Captain America Annual 8

Should be top ten in importance if not value

Xmen 162 always seemed to be the true start of Wolverine being " the best at what he does". Not valuable though.

Marvel treasury 26 should get honorable mention.

Spider-Man 161 has first Spider-Man wolverine punisher in one comic.

eh...I respectfully disagree about Cap Annual 8.

Sure, the book is an early non-X-Men Wolverine appearance and was a $20 wall book 20 years ago, but the story is sub-par and not nearly as *important* as Wolverine 10 or Wolverine 41 or a dozen others.

After saving up to buy it as a teen, I have never been so disappointed in a comic.

The book was/is a key solely because of its (amazing) cover.

eh...I respectfully disagree about Cap Annual 8.

Sure, the book is an early non-X-Men Wolverine appearance and was a $20 wall book 20 years ago, but the story is sub-par and not nearly as *important* as Wolverine 10 or Wolverine 41 or a dozen others.

After saving up to buy it as a teen, I have never been so disappointed in a comic.

The book was/is a key solely because of its (amazing) cover.

A comic that's only known for its cover and the interior pages don't matter? :o

That'll never work. :insane: