• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Only 4 weeks till the ComicConnect auction ends

35 posts in this topic

If they did quicker auctions with smaller windows how many times would we hear "I would have bid if I had known that book was available!" or "Dang, I missed it!"

The books have been advertised for weeks and even months. 4 weeks is too long IMO.

I agree. It's so long that the excitement is often completely faded. I actually get used to not having the book. (If that makes any sense).

does anyone think that live floor portion of the HA sig auction creates a more frothy environment with higher than normal (online only) sales? I would also love to see what kind of in person crowd they attract to that live sale in Beverly Hills. Is that a room full of dealers and collectors? Maybe some mix of wealthy people with financial advisors that want to pick up some hard assets. Maybe some local celebs that are bored. I'm just darn curious.

Unless it's changed over the years, my bet is that even with a captive interested audience, virtually nobody will even bother to show up for the live auction. :gossip:

If they did quicker auctions with smaller windows how many times would we hear "I would have bid if I had known that book was available!" or "Dang, I missed it!"

Even if someone was gone on an African safari for 2 weeks without any internet access, they'd still have time to make it back to the states and be bored of the CC auction length, just like the rest of us.

In all honesty, the last thing you want is to give a potential buyer too much time to think. During that 2 week lull period I typically either forget that the auction is still ongoing, have second thoughts about spending $2,000 on a unique book if it's been sitting at $200 for over 3 weeks without any interest, having additional kids..........wait, I think that was my wife's thought that sneaked into my brain, checking out other auction sites, etc.

The books have been advertised for weeks and even months. 4 weeks is too long IMO.

As a consignor I can say that the listings were not finalized until very recently. Sure, the Larson Batman 1 has been up there for months. But the 9.6 Avengers 11 has not, or the 6.0 conserved Captain Marvel 1, or the 9.8 Fight 6, or many others I'd be more than happy to list here if you would like me to...not that I am trying to spam or anything :angel:

So they were consigned under the wire.

I still think 4 weeks is too long for any auction.

I think the thought process for holding a 4 week auction is to gain as many bidders as possible, but you also lose bidders. They either find other things to bid on or spend their money on something else.

For every advantage there is a disadvantage.

If it was me, I'd be running at 3 weeks max.

I'm holding out for the next Comic Heaven auction in the Comics Buyer's Guide so I can mail in my bid.

Even though CC is quicker than the old days I agree that 14 days max is plenty time. The only person not paying attention to the big auction houses and needs 3+ weeks is living under a rock and deserves to miss out.

If you are a consigner and are worried about getting the comic in time for exposure just take your advance and have them put it in the next big auction 3 months down the road.

As a consignor I can say that the listings were not finalized until very recently. Sure, the Larson Batman 1 has been up there for months. But the 9.6 Avengers 11 has not, or the 6.0 conserved Captain Marvel 1, or the 9.8 Fight 6, or many others I'd be more than happy to list here if you would like me to...not that I am trying to spam or anything :angel:

So they were consigned under the wire.

Nope. I gave them to CC at San Diego.

I understand that four weeks is a long time. I truly am in favor of the extended length. It allows more time to browse the list. It would bore me if I were an early bidder, but I never bid early. So the auction could be five months long and it wouldn't bother me. The actual auction day is the only day that matters.

The actual auction day is the only day that matters.

I would say if I had unlimited resources it wouldn't matter to me either, but for people with limited resources when an auction spans 4 x 1 week eBay auctions and also overlaps two major auction houses then they run the chance of auction and wallet fatigue, at least for the stuff that is not top tier bidding.

And let's face it, top tier bidding is going to not worry too much about limits.

Again, just my perception.

They should just offer time 90 day payments on any orders over $3k, similar to what Heritage does, and then they can make the auctions shorter and keep people's attention. Its too easy to get side tracked and buy something else while you are waiting.
last I checked they offer up to 6 months interest free time payments ?

They should just offer time 90 day payments on any orders over $3k, similar to what Heritage does, and then they can make the auctions shorter and keep people's attention. Its too easy to get side tracked and buy something else while you are waiting.
last I checked they offer up to 6 months interest free time payments ?

Yes they do but in most auctions only a handful of books are advertised as having time payments. I know that they are very open to time payments requests but if there was a standing policy in place for their signature auctions I might bid more frequently.