• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need resources on Warren, Curtis magazines for artists, writers etc

7 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I've recently considered starting a magazine collection but need to educate myself more on them first before over-spending and making poor decisions etc. Curtis (Marvel) and Warren seem to have been the leaders in publications at the time. I've heard of some of the artists like Frazetta and Gene Colan but beyond that I don't know enough about who is considered the most desirable or talented among those of the era. I don't necessarily need a list of key issues for first appearances. I'm thinking more about the quality of the books and what were considered the best of the time, not necessarily the most valuable. Looking for some good resources to read/learn more.

Here's an example of a site I use, which when viewed a single issue at a time gives you some information on the writer/cover artist/interior page artist etc, http://www.comics.org/issue/35268/

Kind of a crude way to go one issue at a time looking for information, maybe there is a better way out there to do it ? Anyways let me know what you think would be helpful.

I guess I assumed they didn't even have their own forum doh!

As for art yes it is subjective but if I could see who is considered like maybe the top 10 or so, then go from there and get into the details of who I like better; I just need somewhere to start from really.

As a Neal Adams fan, I find the few issues with his artwork are hard to find.

My first introduction to Tom Sutton's art was on DC's 1980s Star Trek books, which were painfully awful. I was pleasantly surprised to discover his earlier 1970s art in Warren magazines which is infinitely better.

The Warren magazines for about the first 10 years had an assortment of great US artists, starting first with EC veterans like Frazetta, Williamson, Crandall, etc, and then branching out in the early 70s to include Alex Toth, Gray Morrow, Gene Colan, Bernie Wrightson, Richard Corben, etc. Spanish artists like Alex Nino started turning up in the mid 70s. As the 1980s came around, the Warren magazines were increasingly drawn by Filipino artists who had their own "house" style; they are not better or worse than the American of Spanish artists, but they are very different.

The vast majority of the Warren magazine pages were better drawn than anything that was being published by Marvel or DC at the time, and I still enjoy buying and reading back issues.