• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dry Cleaning - Soon to become restoration???

37 posts in this topic

I posed a question a couple of weeks ago straight to CGC in the "Ask CGC" section but as of yet I've received no answer and don't see where they posted my question yet.

I've been hearing rumors the last month or so that the comic grading companies are going to start "cracking down" on the dry cleaning of a comic. Up until now, both dry cleaning and pressing have been considered non-restoration to a comic book or magazine. I'm not sure if "cracking down" means they're going to start grading tougher on books that exhibit dry cleaning or whether that means making dry cleaning a restoration method.

Anybody else care to chime in on what they've been hearing if anything?

I've been hearing rumors the last month or so that the comic grading companies are going to start "cracking down" on the dry cleaning of a comic.

Do these rumors have any substantiation?

I can see them downgrading for downgradable defects that come from improper dry cleaning.

I've been hearing rumors the last month or so that the comic grading companies are going to start "cracking down" on the dry cleaning of a comic.

Do these rumors have any substantiation?

I can see them downgrading for downgradable defects that come from improper dry cleaning.

All I can tell you is this was relayed to me by a local guy who spoke to someone high up at one of the comic grading companies.

I have seen some books where the dry cleaning was done so poorly, that you could see the streaks from the eraser. I could see this getting dinged (as it should) as well as erasing ink or text from being too aggressive, and leaving residue on the book.

I've seen many examples where the white on the BC cover was dry cleaned and the area lost it's gloss. You would need to look at an angle to really see it. Was this because they left residue = added something or they rubbed away the gloss = subtracted something ?

I've seen many examples where the white on the BC cover was dry cleaned and the area lost it's gloss. You would need to look at an angle to really see it. Was this because they left residue = added something or they rubbed away the gloss = subtracted something ?

I have people emailing or PMing me all the time stating they are using abrasive cleaners and want to know what they are doing wrong because the book does not look "clean and fresh" when done. So in many instances I would say the gloss is being scuffed. When it comes to dry cleaning, there are no shortcuts.

I have people emailing or PMing me all the time stating they are using abrasive cleaners and want to know what they are doing wrong because the book doe snot look "clean and fresh" when done. So in many instances I would say the gloss is being scuffed. When it comes to dry cleaning, there are no shortcuts.

"Doe snot" will never make a book look clean and fresh (although it may bring a little gloss back to the surface).

Dry cleaning - not just using an eraser - has been around since CGC started up, including the infamous "Wonder Bread" method.

Defenders will say that it's nothing more than wiping some dust off the bumper of a classic car, but in some cases the dry cleaning goes well beyond that.

To my knowledge, CGC has always given these books blue labels.

I would be very surprised if they changed their policy on this. It would mean that tons of dry cleaned books would be locked in their current slabs forevermore. That can't be good for business.

I would be very surprised if they changed their policy on this. It would mean that tons of dry cleaned books would be locked in their current slabs forevermore. That can't be good for business.

But they changed their stance on tape without a recall? What's good for business is to stay on top of the hobby and have the courage to implement change. I would totally support a change to view dry cleaning more harshly.

I don't see how this could be considered restoration.

A properly dry cleaned book should have no adverse affect, similar to a properly pressed one.

An improperly pressed book will adversely affect the grade, just as damaging a book with improper dry cleaning would also affect the grade.

I don't believe either can be detected with enough certainty when properly done.

I posed a question a couple of weeks ago straight to CGC in the "Ask CGC" section but as of yet I've received no answer and don't see where they posted my question yet.

I've been hearing rumors the last month or so that the comic grading companies are going to start "cracking down" on the dry cleaning of a comic. Up until now, both dry cleaning and pressing have been considered non-restoration to a comic book or magazine. I'm not sure if "cracking down" means they're going to start grading tougher on books that exhibit dry cleaning or whether that means making dry cleaning a restoration method.

Anybody else care to chime in on what they've been hearing if anything?

In any event, although I seriously do not see CGC seeing dry cleaning as anything except a Universal, it (and pressing) would never be classified as "restoration". Worst case (and probably a "never-happen") scenario is that they would fall under Conserved Blue. Even then I cannot see it because CGC knows how undetectable a proper press and dry clean can be.

What I CAN see, as has been said, is a book being downgraded (but remaining in Blue) for the effects of bad dry cleaning where lettering (especially fine type on the back cover) and colors get smudged or lifted.

But they changed their stance on tape without a recall? What's good for business is to stay on top of the hobby and have the courage to implement change. I would totally support a change to view dry cleaning more harshly.

They did change their stance on tape, but I think that was because they were under a lot of pressure from people who were upset that some GA keys were having their split spines taped up to raise their grades.

I don't think this situation is comparable because I don't think there has been a clamor against dry cleaning. And I think this change would affect a lot more books.

If there is a change it's likely only to raise an awareness of the graders as to what to look for with books that were poorly dry cleaned and may have gone unnoticed before.

It's what Matt did with pressing when CGC became tougher on pressing defects.

And I agree that the tape issue doesn't draw a real parallel. Mainly because like pressing, if the dry cleaning is done well and it's minor, there is no way to tell if it was done.

On the other hand, tape is easy to detect and downgrade for (as the change in rules started doing).

If there is a change it's likely only to raise an awareness of the graders as to what to look for with books that were poorly dry cleaned and may have gone unnoticed before.

And I agree that the tape issue doesn't draw a real parallel. Mainly because like pressing, if the dry cleaning is done well and it's minor, there is no way to tell if it was done.

On the other hand, tape is easy to detect and downgrade for (as the change in rules started doing).

I think everyone is missing my analogy on the tape. The point was raised that CGC would not implement a change because of existing comics that were dry cleaned already in slabs. My point was this was already done with tape. A change was implemented in spite of the fact that many existing comics were already in graded slabs. My analogy was to show CGC will implement change in spite of the fact of existing slabs.

This.

CGC has always dinged poorly pressed books for the quality of pressing. They also downgrade restored books for poor quality restoration. They will take any defects caused by poor dry cleaning into account with the grade.

But if they can't tell it was done, it's not going to be factored in.

I have people emailing or PMing me all the time stating they are using abrasive cleaners and want to know what they are doing wrong because the book does not look "clean and fresh" when done. So in many instances I would say the gloss is being scuffed. When it comes to dry cleaning, there are no shortcuts.

I am seeing this more often on books we receive, and it is very concerning. I have debated about educating everyone on the right materials to use just to see less books damaged, but there always seems to be unforeseen consequences with every action.. TBH, I don't care for dry cleaning myself, so I wouldn't mind collectors cleaning their own books, as long as it is the right way.