• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's DEADPOOL 3 starring Ryan Reynolds, Hugh Jackman (2024)
8 8

946 posts in this topic

Every comic book movie should have reverence to the source material, be created by people that have the utmost respect for the genre, and be a love letter to the fans.

This one was, and it shows that when done right they can wildly succeed.

On 8/6/2024 at 12:06 PM, media_junkie said:

Is it wrong to say that I kind of want a Gambit movie now?  I know back in the day when it was being talked about I was basically neutral about it.  But I really enjoyed Gambit in this movie.

Ryan Reynolds wants it too

:wishluck:

Glad I stopped reading this thread prior to seeing the movie over the weekend so I could limit the amount of spoilers. 

LOVED IT! The throwbacks to comics, previous non-MCU Marvel movies, etc. played well and enjoyed it. Been awhile but think I'll see a Marvel movie twice in the theater. 

Some of the best jokes are rooted in truth, and apparently that is the case for Deadpool & Wolverine, too. In the film (and about half of all the trailers), there was a scene where Blind Al suggested a cocaine binge to Deadpool, and he responded that Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige had singled out drugs as the one thing the movie couldn't get away with. Turns out that's true -- and that the limitation led to the creation of that scene, which director Shawn Levy says was one of the first jokes they wrote for the team-up movie.

Speaking with Josh Horowitz for the Happy Sad Confused podcast, Levy broke down how both the cocaine joke, and the Marvel Jesus joke, came very early in the process.

"This idea of Wade being given an opportunity to level up into the bigs, and the delusional confidence that Wade would have in declaring himself a messiah...that just made us laugh, and felt very Wade Wilson, and so that was early," Levy said. "That was an early one, and so was naming that the only rule we were given by Feige is no cocaine...which is absolutely a fact. Early on, Kevin was like, 'Look, we want a fully 'Deadpool' Deadpool movie. The only thing maybe is, maybe we don't do all the drug use, the cocaine use with Al and Wade. And we were like 'Yes sir, yep, copy that,' and we went home and literally wrote the joke about Feige requesting no cocaine, and it became one of the first jokes that we wrote."