• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's DEADPOOL 3 starring Ryan Reynolds, Hugh Jackman (2024)
8 8

946 posts in this topic

On 8/21/2024 at 6:10 PM, KingOfRulers said:

I finally got around to seeing Deadpool & Wolverine today. I really enjoyed it! :) 

I found it funny. Being able to watch Wolverine do what he does best was amazing. I loved all the comic book easter eggs.

I am concerned about the "legacy callback" plot device. It was great in No Way Home. It was great in "Deadpool 3". I fear that Disney will pump that multiverse well too many times though. It has been such a great, novel treat in those two movies. "Deadpool 3" was "No Way Home" on steroids as far as utilization of the multiverse to tie-in the various Marvel movies of the past 25 years. I think it's been great.

But I hope it does not become the default, because ultimately it's lazy storytelling. It's a great, fun plot device, but must be used in careful moderation. For the future, more serious/dramatic Marvel storylines there must be consequences. If everything that happens can be explained away by simply saying "it's the multiverse", then everything that happens in Marvel movies will feel meaningless and dismissible.

That's one reason (among many) why so many of us were at one time Marvel comic book readers at one point but aren't anymore. Constant reboots, retcons, and short-term gimmicks; I sincerely hope this multiverse plot device isn't the cinematic version of those things.

They have already pumped the multiverse and nostalgia well one too many times. Just DW did it so well I ignored this fact. The MCU us heading towards a significant reset, even if they have not fully admitted it yet.

On 8/21/2024 at 6:28 PM, drotto said:

The MCU us heading towards a significant reset, even if they have not fully admitted it yet.

What sort of reset are you envisioning?

On 8/21/2024 at 7:52 PM, VintageComics said:

What sort of reset are you envisioning?

Rumor is they are collapsing the multiverse, and consolidating all of the other timelines.  This will allow them to fold everything into the MCU, and even re-cast as needed. The MCU going forward will then become FF and X-Men centric at least for a few phases. 

Edited by drotto

On 8/21/2024 at 8:00 PM, drotto said:

Rumor is they are collapsing the multiverse, and consolidating all of the other timelines.  This will allow them to fold everything into the MCU, and even re-cast as needed. The MCU going forward will then become FF and X-Men centric at least for a few phases. 

I think that was inevitable but not due to performance but through the real life issue of contractual obligations and negotiations. 

When Kang was basically a shared character like Quicksilver and before the Fox deal I said that I could see them doing this.  Have a version of secret wars, reset the universe and see who walks out looking like who. 

On 8/21/2024 at 8:00 PM, drotto said:

Rumor is they are collapsing the multiverse, and consolidating all of the other timelines.

This is what the 2015 Secret Wars storyline did, yes?

On 8/21/2024 at 11:10 PM, KingOfRulers said:

But I hope it does not become the default, because ultimately it's lazy storytelling. It's a great, fun plot device, but must be used in careful moderation. For the future, more serious/dramatic Marvel storylines there must be consequences. If everything that happens can be explained away by simply saying "it's the multiverse", then everything that happens in Marvel movies will feel meaningless and dismissible

Problem is that if something’s lucrative it’ll be milked dry as aggressively as possible. Caution is rare.

On 8/22/2024 at 12:46 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

This is what the 2015 Secret Wars storyline did, yes?

Essentially.  Also from a comic standpoint, DC was always leaned more heavily into the multiverse, where Marvel, while present, it was always more a a side story.  I think the issue that the MCU ran into is how to they incorporate everything without deleting everything that came before, because they did not want to get involved in another extensive round of origin stories.

I also do not see the issue with recasting.  I know the original objection from a creative standpoint was they always wanted the MCU to feel like it was moving forward. The reality is there are only so many characters that fans really care about, and it is extremely difficult to manufacture a new hot character, which is what they have been failing at.  To be honest, the comics have been failing at this also. The reality is many high profile characters have been successfully recast, because the characters are way bigger than anyone who plays them. 

Secret Wars was also essentially bringing the failing Ultimate Universe to a close by merging it with 616.

On 8/23/2024 at 8:51 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Secret Wars was also essentially bringing the failing Ultimate Universe to a close by merging it with 616.

See I looked at it differently.

They did take the most popular concepts and character and integrated them into the 616. 

Since Miles Morales debut, even as a long time Spider-man fan, I would consider anyone claiming that Miles has been a better written Spider-man than Peter Parker has. 

image.thumb.png.01eabd4e1c7f2bd42f0af3132406daa3.png

Edited by Buzzetta

On 8/24/2024 at 11:43 AM, Bosco685 said:

...this movie is killing it at the box office!

If only someone could figure out why. 

On 8/24/2024 at 9:43 AM, Bosco685 said:

No matter how you slice this...

image.thumb.png.ef270072647d0aebce8218b5ce8cd1a4.png

image.thumb.png.29b98f4c2ac9fc3e435b5ca574151868.png

image.thumb.png.af8f4ec626ce1569d2aef1103980efd0.png

...this movie is killing it at the box office!

:headbang:

Fantastic to see.

It is fun to see how profitable the first two Deadpool movies were. 

On 8/24/2024 at 2:47 PM, drotto said:
On 8/24/2024 at 9:55 AM, VintageComics said:

If only someone could figure out why. 

Everybody knows why, the question is more accurately are they willing to admit it.

There is pent up demand for more Fox Marvel films.............