• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Using someone else's scans/ photos

47 posts in this topic

yes it's bad form and against the rules unless you get permission

From Ebay

You should be sure you have permission from the rights owner or creator before you use the following:

Images or text copied from websites or internet searches

Stock photos and text

Information from product packaging

It's usually OK to use information such as measurements, weight, or other item specifications that are necessary to describe the item that you simply can't say any other way. However, you should avoid using any other text from product packaging unless you have permission from the owner to do so.

Images and text copied from listings of other eBay members

Scans or text copied from catalogs or advertisements

Assuming you're talking strictly comics, then yes. You're selling something based on condition and if you're using someone else's photo its not a real representation of what you're selling. If you're selling a pack of gemini comic shippers then thats a different story. So I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule. I know with some products, if you're a reseller, then you have no choice but to use materials you were provided. Its actually illegal not to use their copy.

I have done it myself... especially on the two occasions that I have sold pieces of Original Art that I have purchased since they have those big scanners and I do not.

However... I am sure someone could raise a stink over it. Think about it... I sell a piece of original art on eBay using a picture that Heritage created to originally sell. Even though Heritage is no longer selling that piece, they could claim (could) that I am using the fruit of their labors to sell on another site potentially costing them money. If someone spends $1000 with me then that means that they are not spending that $1000 with Heritage.

Assuming you're talking strictly comics, then yes. You're selling something based on condition and if you're using someone else's photo its not a real representation of what you're selling. If you're selling a pack of gemini comic shippers then thats a different story. So I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule. I know with some products, if you're a reseller, then you have no choice but to use materials you were provided. Its actually illegal not to use their copy.

I'm selling the exact comic in the photo. Not a similar comic, but the exact one. The very same copy.

I did this once a long time ago.

Bought a comic on c-link (the one with the stickers), an ASM 12 in 5.5. It was such a clear scan of the front cover I saved it to computer.

Then I sold it on ebay, with a few front/back close up pics, but the main/first pic was the 'stolen' pic from auction house (didn't think of it until second time I listed it).

I think it was a week and half ago, but my memory fades. Boy I'm jiving on the whole evil vibe I'm getting.

Through pure happenstance, I discovered another seller from Canada, using my picture, currently selling the exact same item. I politely messaged the seller to take my photo down and use their own. Last time I checked, they still have not removed my photo. I thought about calling eBay but haven't got around to it...

I'm selling the exact comic in the photo. Not a similar comic, but the exact one. The very same copy.

....if they were to have an issue.....and only a total #spoon* would..... I doubt it would be worth the cost of litigation to pursue recourse. If I sell someone a book, they're welcome to the images too..... but that's just me. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Through pure happenstance, I discovered another seller from Canada, using my picture, currently selling the exact same item. I politely messaged the seller to take my photo down and use their own. Last time I checked, they still have not removed my photo. I thought about calling eBay but haven't got around to it...

Would you have been upset if he was selling an item he bought by you? That's what I'm asking about.

Shad was talking about using the image of the actual item he actually bought and owned not taking another image and using it as a stock image.

For example if he bought a specific slab, he is using the image of the slab that the auction house itself used.

Would you have been upset if he was selling an item he bought by you? That's what I'm asking about.

Absolutely not. In that case, the item is now your actual property.

Sorry, I misunderstood.

Seems petty for someone who no longer owns the item to be upset that your using their image (especially if it captures the item better than you ever could).

I don't have a scanner on my tablet, so I use the same photo from the previous seller. Of course I'm just showing the book off not selling.

Seems petty for someone who no longer owns the item to be upset that your using their image (especially if it captures the item better than you ever could).

I don't have a scanner on my tablet, so I use the same photo from the previous seller. Of course I'm just showing the book off not selling.

Mail me your books I'll gladly scan em for ya.